PDA

View Full Version : Newbie In Need Of Help

Jarrett89
04-30-2008, 12:04 AM
I'm a http://www.gophergraphics.com/forum/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/newbie.gif to the lawn care business... It used to be a hobby but now I'm going to do it for some extra cash. I'm not looking to get rich out of it just like some extra spending money in my pocket for now and if it does great then I might think about quiting my day job lol.

I live in Kansas and understand that any services done by most lawn care companies are not subject to taxes only if you sell mulch, apply pesticides/herbicides or do landscape work such as decks, ponds etc.

I've been reading about getting bonded and wanted to know how to go about that and what exactly that entails to? Also would like some information on insurance and prices on getting bonded and insurance as well.

I will be the only employee as of now and in the future I would like to get certified to apply pesticides and herbicides.

One last question for now... Should I charge a flat rate for a certain area lawn or should I quote customers different prices depending on there yard? I don't know exactly how much to charge. I don't want to look like an idiot and charge to much but then again I don't want to be taken advantage of either.

Thanks in advance!

StartALawnCareBusiness
04-30-2008, 04:07 AM
Hi Jarrett:

Welcome aboard.

When thinking about bonding and insurance, your primary concern should be in getting business insurance and a rider onto your existing automobile policy.

Bonding is probably not necessary unless you are doing contract work, work that requires specific licensing requirements, or you are hiring an employee. Check with your insurance agent to make sure.

Also, drop by your local courthouse to inquire about a business license.

You asked about flat rate vs. different prices. Unless you are marketing to an area where all yards are the same, I am not a fan of flat rate pricing. If one yard is wide open mowing and another yard of the same size has chain link fence and lots of obstacles, the second yard will take you much longer to complete. Therefore, you should charge more for the second yard.

Have you made your decisions on equipment yet?

Good luck:

Keith

Steve
04-30-2008, 06:02 AM
Hi Jarrett,

Welcome to our forum.

My view is I would simply start small and easy. Go for local yards in your area and scale up.

The less licenses you need when you are getting started, the easier it will be for you to get started. One of our friends on here, Chuck, lives in FL and he is in the lawn care business but can't get a applicators license until he has 3 years experience working under someone else! It was pretty crazy the requirements the state places on applicants. Each state is different though, so I would investigate your state.

What's your biggest hurdle now in getting going?

Jarrett89
04-30-2008, 07:57 AM
For equipment I have an old Snapper ZTR, Craftsman Walk-behind with grass catcher and a cheap weedeater from wal-mart.

My biggest hurdle now is finding out what all needs to be done to be legal and then finding clients.

cowboy52806
04-30-2008, 08:43 AM
also check with your state government on sales tax. you might have to collect for providing a service. try checking ur department of revenuve .org web site

Steve
04-30-2008, 08:44 AM
Well to get started I would think all you really need is to register your business name and get some insurance. Or you could simple go with your legal name and then add lawn care. Like Joe Smith Lawn Care and have all the checks made payable to you.

Then as far as getting customers, get business cards and start letting the world know you are in business.

Also have you experimented with advertising on craigslist.com yet?

Jarrett89
04-30-2008, 02:15 PM
No I haven't tried craigslist.com yet but I might give it a try. The state of Kansas does not collect sales tax on lawn care services unless you applicate pesticide/herbicide or do landscape works such as flower beds, decks, mulch etc. and if I were to sell plants or similar items.

I'm in the process of registering my business right now and I need to get a business checking account made up as well.

I'm also thinking about getting my applicators licenses so I can legally spray pesticide and herbicide on residential properties.

What kinda services should I offer?