PDA

View Full Version : When to hire employees?

JODY84
04-05-2008, 01:16 PM
In the last 2 weeks, I have been advertising on craigslist.com. I make sure to put my ad in everyday and it's worked like magic =) If you are in need of customers, it's a great free way to reach a lot of people. But make your ad stands out compared to the other lawn care ads.

Just today (sat april 5th) we have received over 15 calls, it's amazing but it's only me and my hubby doing the work....!!

So my question is, how do we go about hiring employees? Keep in mind this is our "part-time" business, we both have full time jobs but any time we are not working we are taking care of our lawn care business.

so we just need a couple of people...how much should we pay them, by the hour or by the job?

Thanks for any info you may have! http://www.gophergraphics.com/forum/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

musician/lawnman
04-05-2008, 05:52 PM
Jody, That's great your getting such a response! I would love to see a copy of your add if you can post it or pm me the link.

Steve
04-05-2008, 05:53 PM
Hi Jody,

I hope others are going to be able to jump in here too but I would be wondering, when would you want your employees to work? Would they be working during the day when you and your husband are working your other job? Or working with you?

musician/lawnman
04-05-2008, 05:53 PM
Found it...... It looks good!

JODY84
04-05-2008, 09:20 PM
Thanks.

Well right now we would want them to work with us, just to make the jobs go by faster. Eventually we want to be able to send out employees, but need to buy another truck and more equipment. How did you guys get to that point?

BTW, I like this gator =) http://www.gophergraphics.com/forum/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/wheelgator2.gif

Steve
04-06-2008, 06:00 PM
Even if you could hire one person now part time that sounds like it may be helpful. I would think you would need to pay them by the hour.

Let us know what you decide to do.

StartALawnCareBusiness
04-07-2008, 01:07 PM
Jody:

Congrats on getting such tremendous response to your lawn care advertisements.

If you are considering hiring employees, I strongly advise you to get professional help from your CPA. You will want to get all your tax questions answered and all forms filed as they should be.

Your accountant will be able to answer such questions as withholding amounts and payment.

You will also want to consider insurance and bonding for your employee. A non-compete agreement will also be in order to keep him from redirecting your clients should he decide to go out on his own.

Good luck in ramping your lawn care business up a notch:

Keith

GeeGood
04-07-2008, 09:31 PM
Hey Jody,

My wife and I are in your same position. I work full time and the part time business is booming. We service the customers close to us on the weekdays after our full time jobs and then on Saturday and Sunday do as many as we can. This worked for about 3 weeks until we got up to our 27th customer. Of course my wife and I cant mow 18-22 yards on Saturday so we got our first employee , plus her brother in law is helping also. It is amazing what you can do with 3 people! Last saturday we knocked out 17 yards and were done by 4:30. So I would say get your first employee when you and your husband cant grow any more because your too busy and you dont have any down time (Sunday). You will be suprised at how efficient you are vs. just you and your husband. Pay him by the hour and try to find someone that needs work just on Saturday. I am paying 10 per hour and buying lunch.

UniversityLandscapers
04-07-2008, 09:50 PM
As a sub-unit of a larger company, I've had access to other employees for days when I've needed them, but this year, it looks like I'll be needing my own employee.

I'm trying to get someone on early, and really market as much as I can to fill in the gap that a new employee will create.

Steve
04-08-2008, 03:16 PM
Quote[/b] ]My wife and I are in your same position. I work full time and the part time business is booming. We service the customers close to us on the weekdays after our full time jobs and then on Saturday and Sunday do as many as we can. This worked for about 3 weeks until we got up to our 27th customer. Of course my wife and I cant mow 18-22 yards on Saturday so we got our first employee , plus her brother in law is helping also. It is amazing what you can do with 3 people! Last saturday we knocked out 17 yards and were done by 4:30. So I would say get your first employee when you and your husband cant grow any more because your too busy and you dont have any down time (Sunday). You will be suprised at how efficient you are vs. just you and your husband. Pay him by the hour and try to find someone that needs work just on Saturday. I am paying 10 per hour and buying lunch.

Greg,

This is very interesting!

What is your next step in scaling it up further? Where do you take it from here? I bet a lot of others would like to hear your advice on this.

GeeGood
04-08-2008, 09:48 PM
Hey Steve,

Well I figured that I will keep going at the rate I am going now. My wife doing 5-7 yards on the weekdays and myself, brother in law, and my 1st employee doing the rest on Saturdays and Sundays. My goal is to get to a point where I can quit my full time job, my wife doesnt have to do any yards and I leave my full time job. However, I know I will not continue to grow by doing this so I want to grow large enough so that I do this full time. I was thinking that if I get one more employee him and my existing employee can take my truck and equipment and start mowing on the weekdays. It's just difficult to trust anyone who will be using my truck and equipment while I am work. If that isnt enough difficulty, We just had our first baby and he is 6 months old. So I guess I will continue not turning down customers and try to blow this thing up to as big as I can get it and then figure out how I am going to accomplish this? Do you have any suggestions for me or know of anyone else in a similar situation?

Steve
04-09-2008, 11:54 AM
Quote[/b] ]Do you have any suggestions for me or know of anyone else in a similar situation?

We were talking about this topic in another post a while back and one of the suggestions that popped up was, could you at a point scale back your full time job to part time? Even if you had to switch employers? Is that a possibility?

Totally Green
06-27-2008, 08:55 AM
I'm curious about how to keep employee's during the off-season. I'm new at this and don't know how much work I'll be able to find during the winter. I know how hard it is to get a worker back after you've had to lay him/her off for a time.

J.A.S.LawnService
06-21-2013, 10:30 AM
Jody,

I am very happy for your booming business. I am in same boat. I am fortunate to only work every third day at my full time job. With thirty weekly customers, aerations and mulch I have hired help on occasion. It is very nice having the second hand. Yesterday I spread 10yards of mulch with cleanup, mowed 6 lawns(one being an acre lot) and stopped for kid duty.
I mainly hire fellow firefighters or there family members. Currently I am training a high school student that is my coworkers son. He loves to work. I pay him 9/hr. as helper and once fully trained I will raise him to 10/hr.
The goal is to train him to work alone on my shift days.

Good luck!
Paco

MNGo2Guys
06-26-2013, 09:54 PM
Jody, My company has been in business for a few weeks and we haven't received as many great responses as you have on Craigslist, which means it has to do with my ad's. Can you send me a copy of yours to follow? Would be greatly appreciated! MNGo2Guys@gmail.com THANK YOU!

ratchetmaster2
06-29-2013, 10:06 PM
Jody, My company has been in business for a few weeks and we haven't received as many great responses as you have on Craigslist, which means it has to do with my ad's. Can you send me a copy of yours to follow? Would be greatly appreciated! MNGo2Guys@gmail.com THANK YOU!

This thread is more than 5 years old. Jody isn't even a member anymore.

That being said, I was EXTREMELY skeptical when I read the OP's post. 15 calls in one day?? I don't care if your ad says "happy ending with your FREE lawn mowing", I don't see how you would get 15 calls in the first day with a Joe Blow hubby and wife after-work lawn service.

You're not very likely to reach that level of customer response. 5 years ago, Craigslist wasn't very competitive. And a lot of people that lost their jobs are now trying to do lawn care, so that creates much more competition. Another factor would be homeowners not having as much disposable income, due to the economic crisis, to hire a lawn company.

In my experience, it doesn't really seem to matter how "good" your ad is. It's all about how you can spam and overpost with as many accounts as you can. I don't do this, because it's wrong and pathetic, but 9/10 ads in my area (Wash D.C.) are from the same person. Most ads are like "Call Jose 555-555-5445 I do gud werk".

Check this out: every single post from the same person. NOT STAGED AT ALLhttp://i476.photobucket.com/albums/rr125/demonblod4real/spamoverpost.png

Steve
07-01-2013, 11:54 AM
It's all about how you can spam and overpost with as many accounts as you can.

Do you think this marketing method works for him or do you feel he just has way too much time on his hands?

ritlez
07-10-2013, 11:43 PM
There is one way I find very affective for marketing is that you offer the house owner a free job. Trust is everything.

libertylawncarelandscapin
07-11-2013, 09:46 PM
Hello whats so special about ad that you've gotten that many calls? I've placed ads everywhere and can't get that much traffic. I'm interested in finding out what you are doing differently. Thanks.

In the last 2 weeks, I have been advertising on craigslist.com. I make sure to put my ad in everyday and it's worked like magic =) If you are in need of customers, it's a great free way to reach a lot of people. But make your ad stands out compared to the other lawn care ads.

Just today (sat april 5th) we have received over 15 calls, it's amazing but it's only me and my hubby doing the work....!!

So my question is, how do we go about hiring employees? Keep in mind this is our "part-time" business, we both have full time jobs but any time we are not working we are taking care of our lawn care business.

so we just need a couple of people...how much should we pay them, by the hour or by the job?

Thanks for any info you may have! http://www.gophergraphics.com/forum/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif