PDA

View Full Version : Legal start up

makbootzy
12-30-2007, 07:51 PM
Can someone tell me everything I would need as far as tax id and so on to legally operate dba and no employees in Leavenworth County Kansas?

realhuntin
12-30-2007, 08:16 PM
A dba is DOING BUSINESS AS so you need NO Tax ID # to operate under the DBA, you will use your SS# and fill Form "C" itemized or keep good accounting records and print a BALANCE SHEET, A FINANCIAL SHEET and A P&L (profit and loss) give these to the accountant and they will take it from there. MAKE SURE YOU KEEP ALL RECEPTS.

THIS IS NOT LEAGEL ADVISE ONLY BUSINESS ADVISE!

IF you want to have a TAX ID # you can get one online, here is the link to it. be sure to read it all. DBA's are not required to have (EIN's) but it would be a good idea to have one.

http://www.irs.gov/businesses/small/article/0,,id=98350,00.html

Hope this is heplful
Tim

makbootzy
12-30-2007, 08:33 PM
Thank you for the fast response and help. I was wondering about license and bonding and cost for these? I searched and I see I need to call insurance company to be bonded and I will get a price on that. So I guess its will just be how to get licensed

quickcleanlawn
12-30-2007, 08:45 PM
I'm kind of glad someone bought this up.
I have my LLC. What would be the benefits of the tax ID# opposed to just using my ss#?

makbootzy
12-30-2007, 08:51 PM
I was going to start llc but decided not too bc I dont own a house or anything. I just tried to get me ein but the site wont be able to until the the 1st.

Steve
12-30-2007, 10:20 PM
Quote[/b] ]What would be the benefits of the tax ID# opposed to just using my ss#?

Well I guess first off, you won't have to worry about others getting your ss# off of your tax forms and that will cut down on potential identity theft.

Also the corp is it's own legal entity.

realhuntin
12-31-2007, 03:30 AM
Quote[/b] (quickcleanlawn @ Dec. 30 2007,8:45)]I'm kind of glad someone bought this up.
I have my LLC. What would be the benefits of the tax ID# opposed to just using my ss#?
If you are a LLC then you NEED a EIN. STOP using your SS# if you don't the LLC will not seperate you from the business.

Even if you don't have employee's on a payroll you need the EIN and you need to put yourself on the payroll even if it is just you and then you can list all other help as CASUAL LABOR. By putting yourself on the payroll you will be able to seperate the tax money easier between yo and the business (seperating means who, what part & when pays the taxs owed quartly or yearly)(quarterly is easier and best way).
you need to talk to your accountant about this ASAP.

This will stop RED FLAGS at the IRS. Trust ME I know about red flags and there is nothing good about it at all.

realhuntin
12-31-2007, 05:28 AM
Here is more helpful Info for starting a business and TAX guidelines.

http://www.irs.gov/businesses/small/article/0,,id=99336,00.html

This is very important Info please read all of it.

Good Luck
Tim

quickcleanlawn
12-31-2007, 09:19 AM
ok so lets say I have a past due personal bank account,
If I use my tax ID# I should be able to open a new business account right.
This is an area where I'm having problems.

realhuntin
12-31-2007, 09:04 PM
Quote[/b] (quickcleanlawn @ Dec. 31 2007,9:19)]ok so lets say I have a past due personal *bank account,
If I use my tax ID# I should be able to open a new business account right.
This is an area where I'm having problems.
First I would get thas bank issues cleared up. Then I would hire an Accountant. Go over the books and re-evaluate everything.

makbootzy
01-01-2008, 12:37 AM
Its been awhile since I checked out the gopher software trial and I wont be able to buy it for a couple months....does it have bookkeeping? Reason I ask is I dont like paying for anything I dont have to.

realhuntin
01-01-2008, 02:08 AM
Quote[/b] (makbootzy @ Jan. 01 2008,12:37)]Its been awhile since I checked out the gopher software trial and I wont be able to buy it for a couple months....does it have bookkeeping? Reason I ask is I dont like paying for anything I dont have to.
This is great software for Invoicing, scheduling and tracking, you can put some expenses in it but it will not do A/P. The expense are tied to jobs where you would enter an expense for that job that is all the expenses will do (I don't use this part of it) I just run all A/P's through QuickBooks. So no it is not a full services accounting software. You can tie it to QuickBooks and it isn't double the work. Because it exchanges the Invoicing and Payment records (A/R) from Gopher and loads it into QuickBooks A/R for complete records.

USE it! BUY it! Live it! I use it with the QuickBooks program and it is great!

My TAXS are done and it is only 1 hour into the new year!

camigda
02-29-2008, 11:33 AM
adding to the original question, will I need to do quarterly taxes and if so, how? Do I deduct my expenses in the quarterlys' or do I use them at the April 15 taxes? I do not have a tax-person so who would be best for a beginning (read=cheapest) lawn business? I'm a tax-moron at this time so answer question assuming I know nothing! Thanks.

Steve
02-29-2008, 05:26 PM
Hi camigda,

I asked one of our friends to jump on here who is an accountant, I hope he gets a chance to reply.

I would really suggest you hook up with someone that has an accounting background to get you started on the right track. I would bet that it would take less than an hour and you would be pretty set up for the year.

camigda
02-29-2008, 08:47 PM
Hey Steve, thanks for reviewing my question, I look forward to hearing from your accountant friend. I want to get on the right track and some of this requirement stuff seems nuts to me. The worst part for me is the tax crap, I don't have a clue. I saved all of my receipts from last year but don't know if I can even use them for anything. I had read that if you didn't have to file the year before then don't worry about it (I think I fit that). From my banker I heard that I just file at the end of the year (don't worry about quarterlys) since I'm a DBA. So if there is an accountant in Denver Co who can clarify please set me straight! I need to get this right, right now cuz I'm growing. HELP!!!
Any Denver lawn folks please send your accountant my way. Thanks.

Steve
02-29-2008, 08:58 PM
Something you also need to consider is do you need a sales tax certificate. That is something that you might need, it differs state to state. But if you do need to collect sales tax, you might need to report it monthly or quarterly.

camigda
03-01-2008, 10:41 PM
I'll contact a couple different tax accountants on Monday and go from there. Thanks for the info Steve. http://www.gophergraphics.com/forum/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/yourock.gif

Steve
03-02-2008, 04:49 PM
Keep us posted on what you find.