PDA

View Full Version : What hedge trimmer to buy??

Larry's Lawns
01-29-2008, 06:57 PM
Will be buying my first hedge trimmer in the next few days and figure you guys know the ones to buy, and the ones to not buy. Interested in knowing both.

Small town's store options are; John Deere, Home Depot, Tractor Supply, Sears and Walmart ;~).

Thanx in advance- all good advice is appreciated.

Larry Puckette
Larry's Lawns
Seguin Texas

GeeGood
01-29-2008, 08:48 PM
Hey Larry..... You cant go wrong with Echo hedge trimmers 20" double sided. You can get them at Home Depot for $269.00 I am not sure about what not to get but if you are looking for a good price and a reliable hedge trimmer Echo is a great first purchase.

Greg

FourSeasons
01-30-2008, 12:54 AM
Larry-

I have the echo also. I bought it off craigslist only used once for $150. Its a great machine. Olnly thing that I don't like is the on/off switch sticks out by your hand and I accidentally turn it off all the time.

I also have a Stihl HS 80 (i think thats it). And that thing is a savage. I would strongly recommend it. It has a 30" bar and can cut thru alot of big stuff. Great Machine. I used it to cut even little shrubs before I got the echo.

Quote[/b] ]Small town's store options are; John Deere, Home Depot, Tractor Supply, Sears and *Walmart ;~).

Stay away from walmart, sears, and home depot if you can. Except for the echo at home depot.
The ones they consider good at sears, home depot and walmart are garbage.
They are all basically the same if you really compare them close. Just with a different brand name almost.
Sears- Craftsman
Home Depot- Homelite
Walmart- Weed Eater

Its worth it in the long run to spend the extra and get the commercial grade. Don't waste your time with those cheapos.
I started with one and I hated it. You can only run it at full throttle for no more than 30 secs I think.
Your back will thank you to.
Anyways you get the idea.

Thats my opinion anyways.

Little's
01-31-2008, 09:01 PM
I have a Husqvarna that I bought new off ebay for $180. It retails for $320. I have had awesome results with it. BTW I know the double sided hedgers are nice, but they are super dangerous (as compared to the single sided). The handle design on the singles always keeps the cutters away from you, and reduces the chance of leg nicks (or worse).
Just thought I would point that out.

FourSeasons
01-31-2008, 10:21 PM
Quote[/b] ] The handle design on the singles always keeps the cutters away from you, and reduces the chance of leg nicks (or worse).
Just thought I would point that out.

Very Good Point. That just happened to me about 2 weeks ago. Good thing I was wearing double knee carnharts. Or I would have taken a little piece out of my leg. I still got a small cut. But yeah you have to be careful. I was using my Stihl and that thing is has huge cutters on it. Watch out.

Larry's Lawns
01-31-2008, 11:24 PM
thanx for the good input guys. went to home depot today, they only had one echo and it was refurbished and discounted. not that i mind saving a buck, but just didn't feel comfortable enough to walk out with it. so after the Sthill was mentioned, i've remembered there was a western auto in town that handled that brand. went by there and the parking lot was being ripped up by front end loaders and it looked very closed.

very nice input about the danger of the double sided. now i'm wondering what the advantage is to weigh against that danger? faster? cleaner work? easier?

Little's
01-31-2008, 11:53 PM
You may get a little more work done faster with a double sided, but
if you rip your leg open, then you will be losing more work if it ever did happen. I have always done just fine with mine. No trouble at all.

FourSeasons
02-01-2008, 09:50 AM
Quote[/b] ]very nice input about the danger of the double sided. now i'm wondering what the advantage is to weigh against that danger? faster? cleaner work? easier?

I like the double edged ones and have put alot of hours in on them. I don't see the smaller 20-24" bar sizes being a problem. But my Stihl has a 30" bar and it gets heavy after a while. So you have to becareful when you bring it down. That must have been a little reminder not to be careless.
I always thought the single sided trimmers were for doing better sculpting type of work.
If I had to start fresh I would get one like mine with the 30" bar. I use it all the time and the small echo hardly ever gets used. That thing is great. There is alot of advantages to it.
It might be a little harder to shape smaller shrubs with it, but you can always do a little touch up with hand shears if needed. I've never had to do that though.

Everything we work with is dangerous. You just have to remember that when you are working.

Larry's Lawns
02-19-2008, 09:34 AM
thanx for the previous responses guys.. small towns have their niceties but also their drawbacks. todays drawback is shopping limitations again.

about hedge trimmers- looks like home depot is just not gonna get the new echo gas hedge trimmers in and the stihl source has closed their doors. this has left me with a choice of husqvarna or the junk at sears and walmart, or 1 1/2 hour drive. ANY OPINIONS ON HUSQVARNA HEDGE TRIMMERS??

FourSeasons
02-19-2008, 09:48 AM
I would go with the Husqvarna before anyone cheap one. Spend the extra money or time and it will pay for itself in the end.

Or you could buy one on the internet and have it shipped to you.
They don't weigh that much.

Larry's Lawns
02-19-2008, 10:01 AM
thanx for the fast response Rob. I agree, first point of logic is to not waste money on junk... kinda why i'm fishing for any negative opinions before I go get it.

musician/lawnman
02-23-2008, 01:41 PM
I have an 30" echo I got refurbished from home depot. Has been dollar for dollar probably the most profitable piece of equipment in my arsenal. $200 or so & 'm sure I've billed over 10x that for it's use in less than 6 months. I bought an echo 260 power head & pole pruner attachment that has been great too. They make an attachment for the power head that is a longer hedge trimmer with an articulating head. So if you need to top some hedges that are taller than you are no need for a ladder. JUst set it on 90 deg. & walk up the hedge row! I want one!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Chopperholic
08-05-2008, 07:08 PM
Good Topic!

You know, when I first started out I had to buy so much kit, not only for the landscaping side of my business but for the property repair side too.
At this time I was very naive and thought I could get away with spending 60.00 / $120 on a Spear & Jackson Hedge Trimmer. Well the first pair lasted a week and the gears went. The second pair lasted five days and the engine rattled off the chassis! and the 3rd pair didn't even start despite being brand new haha.
I then took the plunge and invested in an Oleo Mac (similar to Echo) hedge trimmer and I've never looked back. It's double sided and yes I have once cut my leg after not letting the blades come to a stop. Other than that the power and reliability are awesome.
Just remember to oil the blades now and then and if there is a grease nipple, give it a good squirt of grease every 3 months or so.
One thing I always do now, is to wear a fine particle mask, to reduce the risk from some of the fumes given off. This won't stop Carbon Monoxide though, so it's good to have a break after each hour when doing very long hedges as you can become drowsy from the fumes.
For me hedges are good fun and very very good earners.

Hope this helps

Marc

Steve
08-05-2008, 09:05 PM
It's double sided

Marc, do you have an preference of single sided vs double sided cutters and why so?

UniversityLandscapers
08-05-2008, 10:32 PM
I have a tiny little weed eater one that I use for small bushes and hedges. When I do bigger ones, I always rent a big pole trimmer so I don't have to use a ladder. I don't do enough hedges to make buying one feasible at this point, but the pole trimmer is a lifesaver on the back/arms and allows you to stand further away from the blades for safety. Also has a tiltable blade, so you can trim the top of the hedge perfect and flat while walking along the ground with the blade tilted at 70 degrees or so, makes it quick and easy.

Little's
08-05-2008, 11:00 PM
ANY OPINIONS ON HUSQVARNA HEDGE TRIMMERS??

My hedge trimmer is Husqvarna, and hasnt given me any trouble at all.

hotwired
08-06-2008, 03:32 AM
Though I'm not a big echo fan for various reasons, I happen to use those HC1500s with the 20 or 24" bar, and I do indeed love them. I have only nicked my leg once in 15 years and it just gave me a blood blister. For some reason, I didn't do it again!!!

I also like Echo's split shaft system with which you can get a hedge trimmer attachment, chain saw, cultivator, weed wacker and now a 2 foot extension. Good stuff.

UniversityLandscapers
08-07-2008, 08:29 PM
I found out today that you can special order Echo at the Home Depot. I noticed a lot of the tools they supplied in the tool rental department are available on special order.

Also, I found a major flaw in the Echo pole hedge trimmer I was using (it was a split shaft model). When I was switching sides across my body, I brushed the base of the engine along my leg (I wasn't actually touching the spark plug at all) and holding the shaft on one of the metal areas. I received a significant electrical shock on both my thigh and my hand as I created some sort of electrical bridge along the trimmer. My theory is that there was something shorting out inside the engine housing, but whatever it was, it gave me a significant jolt. I needed to finish the job I was at, so I tried to be careful and it did it again later when I brushed the engine against myself accidentally a second time.

Little's
08-07-2008, 11:41 PM
I have a pole hedge/chainsaw made by Ryobi (I know there not the greatest, but it was cheap and actually hasnt given me any trouble, and I have used it a ton), but it shocks me all the time. I have just got into a habbit of not touching the plug wire. I have a theory that it is when the wire is damaged internally that allows the spark to be released through the insulation. I dunno, maybe?

Chopperholic
08-08-2008, 03:52 PM
Marc, do you have an preference of single sided vs double sided cutters and why so?

Hi Steve,
For me it has to be the twin sided type of cutter. They are so much more versatile but I do miss a blade hadle when I have to reach accross wider hedges.

Just a point. I noticed a local companydisplaying cutting charges for a standard hedge. They state, should take approx 1 Hour to cut and cost would be 40 + Taxes (That's $80.00 for an hourse work!).