PDA

View Full Version : New Business

patphish123
02-12-2008, 03:10 PM
Hi all i am just starting out in this business in the Toronto Canada area, I am not how ever new to landscaping i have been doing it for other companies for the last 12 years and now have decided to make the jump. My biggest concern is be able to get the work rolling in. I have designed door hangers and fliers that i will be dispersing soon. But i am looking for other ideas that will also be helpful. Anyone got and good ones?

Steve
02-12-2008, 03:45 PM
Hi patphish123,

Welcome to our forum!

When you worked for your previous lawn care business, what kinds of marketing did they do? What did you find worked well and what didn't work at all?

patphish123
02-12-2008, 04:08 PM
I was not really involved in the marketing aspect of those companies, the only thing i knew that worked was sending out pre-pay discounts for exsisting customers, for pruning, mulching, and mowing. As i don't have a customer base i cannot use this.

Steve
02-12-2008, 04:15 PM
Oh that is fascinating! We were just talking about that in another post! What kind of offer did you give to get people to prepay?

patphish123
02-12-2008, 04:29 PM
we sent out it looked like an invoice but it listed all the services we have done for them in the past with the regular price then a prepay discount of %10 if they signed it and returned a check by a deadline date it was just a good way to bring money into the company earlier to cover the spring costs, it worked very well to big response on it

Steve
02-12-2008, 04:42 PM
I think that is a great idea. Are you going to do that this year?

patphish123
02-12-2008, 04:46 PM
I can't this is my first season coming up and i do not have a customer base to send out this offer, but i certianly will in the years to come when i do get a base built up. i need ideas for getting this base

Steve
02-12-2008, 04:50 PM
Oh good point. Pat did you check out our LawnChat.com (http://www.http://lawnchat.com/) blog too? It's chock full of marketing ideas. If you go down the right side of the blog, there is a section called categories.

In the categories there are just a ton of different marketing ideas. I would also check out the free flyer and door hanger section at the top of this page and see if anything catches your eye.

Let me know if you would be interested in trying any of those marketing ideas.

patphish123
02-12-2008, 05:10 PM
i've checked out the door hanger and flyer section its great what a big help i've used some of the templates so i will be printing those and hitting the pavement soon. well as soon as all this #### snow starts to melt. what a crappy winter here in toronto. i will check out lawn chat thanks for your help. i'll keep you posted on my progress

Steve
02-12-2008, 05:52 PM
Great! I am looking forwards to your updates.

What's your view of offering snow clearing services now to help build up a customer base? Or are there other winter services you could be offering now?

All Aspects Landscaping
02-12-2008, 10:29 PM
get your walking shoes on...

patphish123
02-14-2008, 06:03 PM
yeah no kidding, as far a offering winter services now i can't i am doing plowing for the city so really no point.

StartALawnCareBusiness
02-14-2008, 09:24 PM
Welcome to the forum.

It is good that you are already thinking about marketing and getting customers.

Have you thought about which type of clients you are going to target? What kind of yard do you have in your area...small residential or larger yards? Do you already have your equipments set up and ready to go?

I sometimes think back to the first few customers I got. Those were the hardest ones to get because I was unpracticed about how to give estimates and speak to clients.

You are on the right track with flyers and door hangers. You might also try to sell pre-spring cleanup jobs. This is a great time of year for that.

Once you do get those first few customers make sure to ask them to tell their friends. Word of mouth is still one of the best advertising vehicles around.

Best luck:

Keith

patphish123
02-17-2008, 08:45 PM
the yards around my area are small residential yards, a lot of people in this area do a lot of hardscaping driveways especially but i will be focusing on get resi first then hitting the commerical clients.

I do have most equipment so i am almost set there just looking for a cargo trailer i have a small open landscape trailer but in my area. There is no room in the driveway for truck and trailer so i will have to rent parking spaces so i think the best bet would be a cover trailer i can lock up each night at the lot.

i have been doing pre spring clean-up offer so hopefully that will pan out.

Thanks Keith