PDA

View Full Version : Snapper Lawn Mowers

StartALawnCareBusiness
01-18-2008, 04:14 PM
Hey All:

I try to check in with all the major lawn care equipment mfg's a couple times each year to keep up-to-date on the latest equipment lines and modifications. *I put those reviews in my material and software program.

With the discussion of Snapper this week here on the Gopher forums, I decided to drop into my local Snapper dealer to hear what they think about the deal with Sears. *Since today is earlier in the year than I normally swing by, they don't have the new models ready yet. *The owner of the dealership said he expects new models to be available before February 1. *I will demo them when they arrive and let you know the results.

He and I spoke for a few minutes about Snapper's deal with Sears. *He really does not seem to mind one way or the other that Snapper is doing business with Sears. *When Snapper had their deal with Walmart, this dealership performed warranty work on the store brand machines. *Their business actually increased because of this. *He expects the same results from their new relationship.

They plan to sell the same machines as Sears at the same price points.

I noticed one walkbehind commercial lawn mower with a style of operator control mechanism which I hadn't seen before. *On this mower, there is no steering control...only a forward and reverse. *The operator steers the mower by using a bit of muscle to make the front end swing around. *It has an "enclosed" hydrostatic pumping system. *I imagine it employs a type of steering assisted pump differential. This seems odd. *If they have new models with this steering philosophy, I will check it out and tell you what I think.

Snapper continues to impress me with the quality of their mowing decks. *They have thick-guaged reinforced decks that seem to get better every year. *I've mentioned before that I can be hard on equipment and I like to know a deck will withstand the occasional clipping of a fence post or tree trunk. *Snapper still delivers in this area.

I was expecting to see nothing but Briggs engines on their lawn mowers. *Thankfully, they have no plans to discontinue using Kawasaki and Kohler. *The dealer agreed that Kawasaki engines remain the most popular with commercial lawn care equipment operators due to their high rpm and long life.

That's all for now. *I will let you know more when I do the full demos.

Keith

http://www.startalawncarebusiness.com/images/snapper.JPG

Steve
01-18-2008, 08:15 PM
I think that is very interesting! Do you think they make a higher profit on selling the machines or performing warranty servicing?