PDA

View Full Version : starting a lawn care business

jbrewer
01-13-2008, 11:56 AM
hello,
*first of all sory i have not gotten back to you i have been realy busy. My name is Jim my friend and I are starting a lawn care business this spring. between the two of us we have 15 years exp. in the lawn care service. We are originally from Boston ma. We moved to la crosse wi about a year ago. I moved out here to be with my new doughter. I have worked in this field for a long time and I love it. I know it is time for me to start my own lawn care serivce. We have not registered our name yet and we started advertising a little late I think. I have never owned my own business before. I did manage a lawn care business for 6 years. I want to turn this into a full time business that supports my family. I would like your opinion on how much equipment you need to start. I know this is going to be very hard. I also know it takes time, hard work and dedication. Thank you any info you can help us with.
* * * * * * * * * * * * *Thank you Jim

FourSeasons
01-13-2008, 04:28 PM
Quote[/b] ]between the two of us we have 15 years exp. in the lawn care service.

I have worked in this field for a long time and I love it.

I did manage a lawn care business for 6 years.

I would like your opinion on how much equipment you need to start

Welcome to the forum!

With what was quoted above from your original post; shouldn't you have a good idea of what you would need to do and equipment to aquire to start off your business?

Well as far as equipment I would figure what your target area is for your work.
Residential or Commercial or both?
Are you going to hedgetrimming, tree trimming, renovations, etc?
After you decide where your going to be starting then we can give you a better idea of what equipment you need to start.

I can say this for now:
Stay out of debt. Buy what you can afford. you don't need a brand new truck and mowers first starting out.
Utilize craigslist. I just saw a almost brand new 36" exmark wb for $2900 from a guy that is switching over to installs only. That thing was almost brand new. I have bought of used equipment off of there.
Give us a idea of what your goals are.

Steve
01-13-2008, 05:20 PM
Hi Jim,

Welcome to our forum!

Why are you waiting until spring to start your lawn care business? What's your thoughts on getting it started to today and then get yourself out there marketing so you can hit the ground running when spring comes.

When you managed the previous lawn care business, were you at all incharge of marketing or no?

StartALawnCareBusiness
01-15-2008, 01:08 AM
Quote[/b] ]I would like your opinion on how much equipment you need to start.

Hi Jim:

Again, welcome to the forum.

You have given us more information but still not enough for us to really give you anything other than words of encouragement.

Every year I see new LCOs purchase the wrong equipment because they don't analyze their needs.

Here are just a few questions. Answer these and we can probably help you further.

1) What type customer are you going after? Small residential, business grounds, large industrial complexes, wide mowing areas, etc?

2) What is the lay of those properties? Flat, Hilly, Marshy, High growth, fenced in back yards, etc?

3) What equipment do you already have?

4) What is your budget? Be realistic here. If you only have $100 to buy equipment, say so. I bet many guys here started with $100 worth of equipment. If this is the case then we won't recommend a $10,000 Dixie Chopper. :-)

5) Are you going to finance or pay cash for your equipment?

6) What vehicle and trailer do you have to haul your equipment?

7) Do you have any physical limitations that will dictate your equipment needs? Hand problems, trouble walking for long periods of time, trouble sitting on a bumpy machine, etc?

8) How do you expect your business to grow over the next two years. Will you stick with the customers you are targeting now or do you expect to expand into other type of work.

I could ask you 100 question but this will do for now.

Let us know and I bet we can help steer your decision making.

Keith