PDA

View Full Version : How did I use your web templates

Element Landscape and Design
12-10-2007, 05:02 PM
I want to use your free web templates to start my own website. I have no experience in web design. What are the steps to post this to an actual domain name. I already have my domain name, but dont know how to transfer template to my website. Please keep it simple. I'm new at this!

Thanks
Greenmind

Steve
12-10-2007, 07:45 PM
Hi Greenmind,

Welcome to our forum! Nice to have you here.

Ok first step do you have an ftp (file transfer program) program? So you can upload the files to your website? Something maybe like cuteftp?

StartALawnCareBusiness
12-10-2007, 07:56 PM
Quote[/b] ]Something maybe like cuteftp?

Or Windows XP.

I guess the most basic outline of how to get your website up and running would be:

1) D/load the Gopher templates into a folder on your local harddrive.
2) Open them in an editor. Notepad, Dreamweaver, FrontPage.
3) Edit the templates to your liking then save them back to your local folder. Make sure to retain the file structure and naming conventions.
4) Open an ftp program. If you have Windows XP, goto Start, My Network Places, Add A Network Place (Follow directions from your hosting company)
5) Drag all the goper template files into the folder you just created in your My Network Connections folder.

That's it.

Let us know if you need more help:

Keith

pnplawn
12-10-2007, 09:51 PM
Better yet go here http://www.ebuildlawncarewebsites.com

12-11-2007, 04:13 AM
Dear Gopher Nation,

I still can't get my website or even seem to edit it. I have gotten this error message several times.
Software error:
Can't locate DBD/InterBase.pm in @INC (@INC contains: /usr/lib64/perl5/site_perl/5.8.6/x86_64-linux-thread-multi /usr/lib64/perl5/site_perl/5.8.5/x86_64-linux-thread-multi /usr/lib64/perl5/site_perl/5.8.4/x86_64-linux-thread-multi /usr/lib64/perl5/site_perl/5.8.3/x86_64-linux-thread-multi /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.6 /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.5 /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.4 /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.3 /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl /usr/lib64/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.6/x86_64-linux-thread-multi /usr/lib64/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.5/x86_64-linux-thread-multi /usr/lib64/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.4/x86_64-linux-thread-multi /usr/lib64/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.3/x86_64-linux-thread-multi /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.6 /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.5 /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.4 /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.3 /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl /usr/lib64/perl5/5.8.6/x86_64-linux-thread-multi /usr/lib/perl5/5.8.6 .)

For help, please send mail to the webmaster (web@gophergraphics.com), giving this error message and the time and date of the error.

What do I need to do. I am using windows xp and it says that is has created a file for me in My network but then I can't even find it. Need help.

Thanks
Greenmind

Steve
12-11-2007, 04:28 AM
Hi Greenmind,

Have you been able to upload your website yet?

Can you show me where you are getting this error? What web address?

12-12-2007, 05:58 PM
I going through wizard and msn. There is no website. I am just going through my My Network Place. Add a Network Place.
I was following StartaLawnCareBusiness' instructions. I don't really understand why it wouldn't work. It seems pretty straight forward.

Thanks for the help!
I'll post it when it's complete.

Greenmind

pnplawn
12-12-2007, 06:41 PM
Quote[/b] (Element Landscape and Design @ Dec. 12 2007,5:58)]I going through wizard and msn. There is no website. I am just going through my My Network Place. Add a Network Place.
I was following StartaLawnCareBusiness' instructions. I don't really understand why it wouldn't work. It seems pretty straight forward.

Thanks for the help!
I'll post it when it's complete.

Greenmind
You guys are funny. Most of you have no concept how to or even bother to read on how the internet works.You say ( I am just going through my My Network Place. Add a Network Place.) Do you have any ideal what that is ? It has nothing to do with building a website or even uploading your files.

Networked Resources in Microsoft Windows
My Network Places is the utility for browsing network resources (places) in Microsoft Windows XP, Windows 2000 and newer Windows operating systems. Network resources include:

* shared file folders on other computers
* networked local printers
* Web links (URLs)

Please read here to fully understand what that Network icon does. Network Place (http://compnetworking.about.com/od/windowsnetworking/a/mynetworkplaces.htm)

Futher more in order to get a website up and running you will have to go to a domain registar, Register your name that you want. Then find a hosting company pay them to host your website. Then you will have to get your self a FTP ( This is an acronym for File Transfer Protocol ** a very common method of transferring one or more files from one computer to another.) Found here FTP (http://www.learnthenet.com/english/glossary/ftp.htm)

Then once that is done you will have to either down load one of ghoper templates or make your own. Now you will have to edit each one using some kind of html editor. Anyway you guys have gave up on reading this by now. If not need some more help let me know.

StartALawnCareBusiness
12-12-2007, 06:59 PM
Quote[/b] ]It has nothing to do with building a website or even uploading your files.

Rodman, I disagree with your statement.

If someone does not have a seperate FTP program, he can use the "My Network Places" function in Windows XP as an FTP program.

Once the ftp window is open, it is simple to drag files from his local folders and drop them into folders at his host site.

It might not be the best method but it certainly is an alternative.

And, yes, you are right in the rest of your post. *I was just assuming he already had a url and a host. *Guess I know what happens when I assume. http://www.gophergraphics.com/forum/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/wink.gif

Keith

pnplawn
12-12-2007, 07:15 PM
Yes keith you are right ( sorry was not trying say your were not. ) Its just a method I do not use or try to explain to people how to use when there are many FREE FTP programs out there. Here is better way that keith was trying to explain.

Your Rock Keithwww.pnplawncare.com/windowsxpftp.pdf (http://www.pnplawncare.com/windowsxpftp.pdf)

StartALawnCareBusiness
12-12-2007, 07:27 PM
Cool, that's a good .pdf for anyone to read.
Maybe Steve can include that as well as a basic outline of what is necessary to get a website online and pin it to your forum as a first step for people trying to get a website online.

Then again, anyone who doesn't want to spend hours trying to figure it all out should definitely consider hiring Rodman to get their website up and running.

BTW, I've promised myself a day to sit down and work with the script you sent me. Other activities have bitten into my free time lately. So, don't think I have forgotten.

Thx:
Keith

pnplawn
12-12-2007, 08:54 PM
Quote[/b] (StartALawnCareBusiness @ Dec. 12 2007,7:27)]Cool, that's a good .pdf for anyone to read.
Maybe Steve can include that as well as a basic outline of what is necessary to get a website online and pin it to your forum as a first step for people trying to get a website online.

Then again, anyone who doesn't want to spend hours trying to figure it all out should definitely consider hiring Rodman to get their website up and running.

BTW, I've promised myself a day to sit down and work with the script you sent me. Other activities have bitten into my free time lately. So, don't think I have forgotten.

Thx:
Keith
maybe he could add this as well for people that need help with there lights on there trailers.

http://www.pnplawncare.com/combined_wire_diagrams.jpg