PDA

View Full Version : getting started

galaxy
08-15-2007, 08:38 PM
Need some advice on estimating on how much to charge for mowing.

Little's
08-15-2007, 09:52 PM
Read this. May help.
http://www.gophergraphics.com/forum....;t=5366 (http://www.gophergraphics.com/forum/cgi-bin/ikonboard.cgi?act=ST;f=24;t=5366)

lawncareinnovations
08-15-2007, 09:55 PM
On average I charge $1.00 per min. $60.00 per hr.

Little's
08-16-2007, 12:49 AM
$1 per minute here too. Seems to be about average I think.

Steve
08-16-2007, 10:58 AM
Hi Galaxy,

Welcome to our forum! What got you started in the lawn care business?

Also there are some good pricing ideas in the Be a Lawn Care Business Rebel book. It's a free download. Click on the link on the left side of this screen.

galaxy
08-16-2007, 03:42 PM
Thanks For the advice

Steve
08-17-2007, 11:10 AM
Hi Galaxy,

What got you started in the lawn care business? What do you think of it so far?

Clean Lawn
08-20-2007, 10:43 AM
Galaxy something you can try that I noticed lots of newcomers doing is call several lawn service companies and have them come out and give you a free estimate on your lawn. You can use these prices as a base cost for the size of your property.

tiedeman
08-22-2007, 08:29 PM
You first really need to know your costs of doing business first. Once you figure out your costs, you can go forward with how much to charge. Everybody is different with pricing. Don't think that just because one person is using one price structure, that it could work the same in another area. Perfect example, I have found it where lawns that I could charge $45 for, are going for $25 only 2hrs away.

Clean Lawn
09-04-2007, 10:27 AM
I guess because when I started, I started with equipment I had. As I have grown with some new accounts I have bought new pieces that I would never of bought for myself and continue to do so. So, I have not considered costs that way but I have figured costs in to play if I am driving 2 hours to cut someones lawn.

justmike
11-25-2007, 11:10 AM
i stumbled along this when browsing posts in ********....thanks Team Green.

http://www.teamgreenll.com/instantestimates.php

Steve
11-25-2007, 02:36 PM
Great find!

icon
12-11-2007, 01:11 PM
Am Stuck! For 7 years now I have been growing my business really slow. Now I want to go ahead full steam and I have tried many things and didn't work for me. In my area their has to be 50 to 75 lawn care business under cutting each other.

How do I get my foot in the door?
How can I compete price wise?
How do I stand out above the big guys?

Thanks
Icon

StartALawnCareBusiness
12-11-2007, 03:05 PM
Really quick answers because I have to be somewhere in a few minutes.

Quote[/b] ]How do I get my foot in the door?
Early to bed
Early to rise
Work like h3ll
and ADVERTISE!!!

Quote[/b] ]How can I compete price wise?
Don't compete on price.
Find what you're good at, get better at it, make it your specialty, and compete on that aspect of your business. *Sell your quality work not your low price.

Quote[/b] ]How do I stand out above the big guys?
Maybe you shouldn't try. *Lots of customers like to deal with an individual guy who is working for himself and not a big company.

I hope this is helpful. *It's sincere advice and it has worked for countless LCO's.

Good luck:

Keith

Steve
12-11-2007, 11:44 PM
Quote[/b] ]Am Stuck! For 7 years now I have been growing my business really slow. Now I want to go ahead full steam and I have tried many things and didn't work for me.

Hi Icon,

Welcome to our forum!

Can you tell us a little about your previous 7 years in the business and what you tried that didn't really work for you?

icon
12-12-2007, 01:45 AM
Phone books, local newspapers, radio, and cold calls. No matter what I tried to do, I was not even getting to bid on a job. I realize that people are happy with who they might have, but if not, how can I get them to call?

Again their are 50 to 70 lawn care people in the area, it's insane!

What should I charge? What would be a great way to get more customers?

Thanks,
Icon

Steve
12-12-2007, 03:48 AM
Quote[/b] ]Phone books, local newspapers, radio, and cold calls.

Have you gotten on craigslist.org? It's free to post and it seems to work for many lawn care operators.

Have you asked your current customers if they have anyone local they can refer you to so you could then follow up and contact them.

I would say build from the current human bonds you have now. Build outwardly from them. Extend out from your current client base and meet their local friends and family even if it means having some kind of gift card you give to them to hand out.

Are you working on any community projects that can help shine a light on your business?

Are there certain people in your area that could use a yard clean up that are elderly?

Could you help them out and then get some pictures and send the story out to the local paper.

Do you like any of these ideas ?