PDA

View Full Version : Grave yards, GPS, and Google Earth.

StartALawnCareBusiness
11-30-2007, 03:27 AM
I've always been fascinated with cemeteries. The reverence and respect we pay our departed as well as the history that can be learned through geneologic records are interesting fields of study.

I spent Wednesday afternoon at a local Cemetery with my digital camera and my GPS. I sync'd the time on my camera with the time on the GPS so I would know where I was when each picture was taken based on the waypoint time.

A GPS waypoint was set at each grave site. Once home, I dumped everything into Google Earth and using programming code called Keyhole Markup Language I turned it into a pretty neat presentation.

If you're interested, download this file and open with Google Earth.

Graveyard Study (http://startalawncarebusiness.com/Graveyard%20study%20final%201.kmz)

Let me know what you think:

Keith

pnplawn
11-30-2007, 05:17 AM
where are the grave markers? I notice the push pins ndid not see any head stones

StartALawnCareBusiness
11-30-2007, 05:38 AM
Click on each pushpin. It will bring up a picture of the marker at that location.

Steve
11-30-2007, 01:22 PM
Do I need a plug in for this to work? All I got was some crazy text filling the page.

pnplawn
11-30-2007, 01:31 PM
I was going to post on how to make this work. When the page open click save page as , dont rename it . it will down load to your computer. OPEN google earth and the go to file then open go to where you saved that page. it will work.

StartALawnCareBusiness
12-01-2007, 12:31 AM
Rodman, thanks for the clarification.

Steve, did you get it to work?

Steve
12-02-2007, 12:46 AM
Quote[/b] ]Steve, did you get it to work?

No, I didnt. I am gonna have to download and install that Google earth software.