PDA

View Full Version : Lawn care and environmental concerns.

StartALawnCareBusiness
11-30-2007, 04:57 PM
If you've read through my program on running a lawn care business, you have come across a section on environmental concerns. *I think it is very important to be good stewards of our environment. *

Not only is it morally right to properly apply fertilizers and pesticides but it also makes economic sense.

I overheard a conversation this morning that might interest you. *A guy was working on a solution to get rid of fire ant mounds in a field. *Many southern states are becoming overrun with fire ants. *They are annoying as well as dangerous.

Now, a lawn care company who didn't know better might throw down fire ant killer, charge the customer, and leave without thinking he did anything wrong. *For this situation, though, there was a special consideration. *Rain water in the area of the fire ants runs off into a pond. *This gentleman raises koi. *In his pond are about 200 fish worth up to $500 each. *He is worried pesticides will run off with the next rain and make his fish sick or even kill them.

In many states you must possess an applicator's license in order to commercially apply any chemical. *The applicator's training will teach you proper protocols dealing with fertilizers, pesticides, and other chemicals. *They also teach about run off and how to protect marine life and livestock.

Many extension offices offer training during winter. *If you have any thoughts you might apply chemicals in 2008, call your extension office today to find out what it takes to get an applicator's license.

Keith

Steve
11-30-2007, 07:49 PM
Keith,

Do you have any idea what it costs to go through this program?

pmblair
12-01-2007, 12:15 AM
I don't know about other states, but here's the info from www.GAPestExam.com for Georgia:

Commercial Applicators Examination
Testing Center Fee - $45
Individuals who wish to obtain a commercial applicator license must pass the general standards examination, as well as at least one major category examination with a score of 70%. The general standards exam is designed to test for general knowledge on the use of pesticides, while the category examinations are more specific to particular types of pesticide application.

Steve
12-01-2007, 12:35 AM
Patrick,

How important is such a license to you? Is this something you are looking forwards too?