PDA

View Full Version : What can we learn from Rock?

StartALawnCareBusiness
11-22-2007, 03:18 PM
There's been mention here before about Tony Robbins. He's one of my favorite speakers.

This is a pretty neat story he tells of Sylvester Stallon. There's probably some hyperbole here but it's still a great story.

In one section, he describes how Stallon was completely broke. He resisted getting a job, though. He knew if he got a job he would be seduced by steady income and he would lose his hunger.

For those guys just starting out in the lawn care business, I think they need the same kind of tunnel vision.

Maybe this will inspire:

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ywuse55qU2A&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ywuse55qU2A&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

Know your outcome!

Keith

Steve
11-22-2007, 07:50 PM
Quote[/b] ]In one section, he describes how Stallon was completely broke. He resisted getting a job, though. He knew if he got a job he would be seduced by steady income and he would lose his hunger.

For those guys just starting out in the lawn care business, I think they need the same kind of tunnel vision.

That is a great find. Fascinating story too! I appreciate you posting that.

See here has been my quandary for quite some time. Many many entrepreneurs contact me and ask me questions similar to this topic.

One side of me says, if you want to succeed, there is nothing like sailing off to the unchartered territory and then setting your ship on fire once you land. When you know there is no going back, it tends to push you to achieve things you never thought you could possibly do.

However on the flip side, from my experience for every Rocky, there are thousands of disaster stories.

Sure Rocky made it and made it big and it's a great story. All the elements of success are there. The hunger the passion the drive. But think for a moment, how many people have you ever met that have been passionate about anything? Off the top of my head I don't know if I ever met anyone with that passion.

From what I have seen, the passion tends to burn out quickly and then the person is off doing something else.

People that I have known that have gone for broke, more often than not wound up broke. Broke in a big way, with big debts they never got out from under.

So I guess you gotta mix passion with some smarts and some talent.

Deep down inside I think if you are going to go for something, you should just focus and go for it.

Having a weekly pay from an employer, I feel, keeps you from pushing forwards and going out and experimenting and learning and growing.

What's your view?

StartALawnCareBusiness
11-22-2007, 09:35 PM
Oh, I definately agree with that. A lawn care business owner can't just jump blindly into something without weighing the risks. That's why these forums are so great. They show us the finer points of running a lawn care business as well as what to be cautious of

Would you say there's a fine balance between tenacity and knowing when to give up?

Keith

Steve
11-22-2007, 09:45 PM
Quote[/b] ]Would you say there's a fine balance between tenacity and knowing when to give up?

See that is the thing. When you don't give up and you succeed, everyone says "Oh you are a genius." And then you can walk around saying 'yes I had the vision and goal in my head of what I wanted and no one was going to get in my way.'

However if you don't give up and you don't find success, people will think you are crazy and an idiot for following a dead end road.

But maybe ultimately if the adventure is traveling the road, then you win no matter what.

Look at that video talking about Sly. He sold his wife's jewelry and then his dog. His wife didn't stick around because no one wants to be married to a 'loser.' However, we would not have much of anything today if people didn't take risks.

Those who do take risks are my personal heros. I love seeing when someone is really into something. Even if it's not 'my thing,' I do find such people to be inspirational.

For instance Steve Jobs. What a freakin mad man he is and was!

It makes me think back to:

Here's to the crazy ones.

The misfits.

The rebels.

The troublemakers.

The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things differently.

They're not fond of rules.

And they have no respect for the status quo.

You can praise them, disagree with them, quote them,

disbelieve them, glorify or vilify them.

About the only thing you can't do is ignore them.

Because they change things.

They invent. They imagine. They heal.

They explore. They create. They inspire.

They push the human race forward.

Maybe they have to be crazy.

How else can you stare at an empty canvas and see a work of art?
Or sit in silence and hear a song that's never been written?
Or gaze at a red planet and see a laboratory on wheels?

We make tools for these kinds of people.

While some see them as the crazy ones,
we see genius.

Because the people who are crazy enough to think
they can change the world, are the ones who do.

Steve
11-22-2007, 11:14 PM
Quote[/b] ]Would you say there's a fine balance between tenacity and knowing when to give up?

What's your view on this?