PDA

View Full Version : You're never too old...

StartALawnCareBusiness
11-20-2007, 04:03 PM
There was a great question here recently about this being a horrible time to start a lawn care business.

There is never a horrible time to start a lawn care business. Think about the possibilities year-round for this industry. Today, 2 days before Thanksgiving, it is 74 degrees in my part of the country. The sun is beating down and in the distance, I can hear the familiar whine of a 2 cycle leaf blower. I can almost guarantee the home owner using his leaf blower is reluctantly, at his wife's request, doing yard work because visitors are due for Thanksgiving dinner and the yard needs to look good. That guy, and 10's of thousands like him around the country, would gladly pay someone 50 bucks to blow leaves off the driveway, out of flowerbeds, and give the grass a good short cutting. He has other activities he would rather pursue.

The same scenario will play out next month. December is full of Christmas parties and get-togethers. Picture this: a football game is on the tube, 1:47 to go in the first half. Score 9-7. The crowd is cheering, announcers are calling great color and then....then a call is heard "Honey, you said you were going to cut the grass." Good grief. "Yes dear, during half-time." Jumping up, he spills his half full beer on the carpet. He reaches for the Sunday paper to sop up the mess and he notices a classified ad. "Last minute lawn jobs? CALL US. FREE ESTIMATES." Instead of missing the half time cheerleaders and the second half, he calls your number.

If you are in the Northern part of the country there are still plenty of jobs to do. Sidewalks need to be shoveled, broken limbs from trees need to be picked up, and the gutter which pulled away from the house due to heavy snowfall needs to be nailed back into place.

Customers will pay great money this time of year for those jobs that need to be done "right away."

I think right now is a great time to start a lawn care business. Competition is less than it is during the spring, customers you get right now are very grateful for the help, and when Spring rolls around, you will already have a roster of clients ready to pay you to do their yard all summer.

There is no better time than the present to get started.

Keith

Steve
11-20-2007, 06:09 PM
Those are some good ideas! A flyer could be made and handed out before the holidays about cleaning up a yard for the holiday parties.

Or even for football games!

I hope someone jumps on these ideas and uses them!