PDA

View Full Version : Looking for something else to add to the business

Angelik99
10-29-2007, 12:36 AM
For example the company here that does the lawn and pressure washing.

I'm looking for ideas of what I could do besides just mowing. So throw anything at me. The fall cleanups aren't really workable here in florida due to 99% of the trees keeping leaves. And holiday decorations this winter...well I can't get up on a ladder...well I can get up there but not down very easily, lol, I don't like heights. LOL!!

Also obvously no snow here. So wouldn't make much with a snowblower, LOL!!

Anyway thanks!!!

Steve
10-29-2007, 04:07 AM
You could consider offer decoration services that are within arm reach or on the ground.

Do you have any hobbies or interests you enjoy doing that could possibly be worked into an extension of your lawn care business?

Another thing to consider is home cleaning. Teresa has recently started adding that to the list of her services.

What about pool services?

What are your thoughts on that?

Angelik99
10-29-2007, 12:39 PM
Quote[/b] (Team Gopher @ Oct. 29 2007,4:07)]You could consider offer decoration services that are within arm reach or on the ground.

Do you have any hobbies or interests you enjoy doing that could possibly be worked into an extension of your lawn care business?

Another thing to consider is home cleaning. Teresa has recently started adding that to the list of her services.

What about pool services?

What are your thoughts on that?
I'll think about the decorations within arms reach, sounds like a good plan...just if they don't need to get on a ladder then why hire right? I'll try to talk to some people and see their reaction. I do live around a retirement area, so it might work.

I'm no good at cleaning inside, I'm too standoffish about people's things. And worry too much, lol!! Plus some cleaners about knock me out, I'm kinda sensitive to them. I've tried to clean houses a long time ago, well I went with my ex MIL, it was her job.

I've really been debating pool cleaning, we used to have a pool and I did it when I was like 10 and up, so it's not hard, I just don't have any equiptment for it and I'm pretty limited on funds at the moment.

I do like gardening, I thought about de-weeding garden areas. But how would I write that out or say it?

I don't want to be pulling weeds out of their entire lawn (most lawns don't have many or any but some have tons) I see tons of flower beds that are getting overrun with grass/weeds and seems like the people just don't have time time to do it understandably or they're retired and have trouble.

Think I could get away with $20/hr for that, $10 every half hour? Since it's kinda straining on the back?? I've got gloves already and small sheers I use for minor trims to bushes at my own home.

I also thought about animal waste removal, we have two lawns we dread, but if I went the day before and cleaned up, that would make mowing and trimming a lot more pleasent. LOL!!!

pmblair
10-29-2007, 01:29 PM
Maybe you could market to the property managers who deal with foreclosures and such. They have a lot of houses from time to time that need debris removal (anything from a trash bag to junk strewn all over the lawn). You could do inside and out for that. Just make sure you tell them that you only take off the trash, not do finishing clean-up work.

How about marketing to local businesses that you'll clean their windows (the ones with single story buildings)? There's money to be made there... and all you'd have to buy would be some glass cleaner and maybe a BIG squeegie or something.

StartALawnCareBusiness
10-29-2007, 02:24 PM
Quote[/b] ]I do like gardening, I thought about de-weeding garden areas. But how would I write that out or say it?

An advertisement to the effect of:

"Bed Maintenance - Shrub trimming, weeding, mulching, beautification."

should bring in customers. There is good money in maintenance but there is even better money in installation and rehab.

Spend time learning proper pruning techniquies. Learn what shrubs, plants, and flowers are native and do well in your area. Know your costs per square foot so you can give estimates on the fly.

Lots of lawn care companies will not do this type work.

Keep pounding on doors and you should get quite a bit of business.

Good luck:

Keith

Little's
10-29-2007, 05:42 PM
I have made an extra $2000 this month just doing tree trimming and falling. I have a 12' gas pole saw and 2 chain saws. I have a friend who does all the climbing and stuff, but I make 75% of the money. Just an idea.

Angelik99
10-29-2007, 06:18 PM
wow thanks guys for all the suggestions!!

I went out and ran some ideas by my grandma this afternoon while picking up birthday gifts for my son and she hired me to do her garden and mulch it next month.

Maybe I can take some before and after pictures too for flyers!!

She's got plenty of friends, so hopefully she'll spread the word. And I'll start reseaching your ideas too!!! My great aunt used to rent property around here and me and my dad used to go clean up after residents left, so that I can do!! Thanks for reminding me!!!

Thanks and keep em coming!!!http://www.gophergraphics.com/forum/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

Steve
10-29-2007, 07:17 PM
Quote[/b] ]I also thought about animal waste removal, we have two lawns we dread, but if I went the day before and cleaned up, that would make mowing and trimming a lot more pleasent. LOL!!!

Maybe there is something here. A lot of people hate doing this service. Have you asked around the area if there is a need for this service?

Steve
10-29-2007, 08:24 PM
You could also create seasonal outdoor displays. Come up with a couple of different display concepts that brighten up the front door or the light post out front or something like that and you could change them seasonally or based on a holiday. Then you could sell those as packages.

Angelik99
10-29-2007, 10:10 PM
Yes I'm sure there's a need for the waste removal, haven't seen anyone in the area doing it as of yet and since it's florida there's tons of retired people who have trouble getting out in their yards to do maintance, but have pets.

As far as the outdoor displays I really don't even know where to start with that.. Do you have an example possibly?? I mean besides halloween since it's kinda late for that.

Maybe I could stop by a craft store this week and see what ideas I get, I've been told I'm pretty good with things like that.

Angelik99
10-29-2007, 10:13 PM
Oh and I decided to pass out flyers with the waste removal on the bottom as "other services" and see how it goes. I'm not going to spend money on it until I get a job lined up.

It's pretty cheap, so if I get a job say that morning from a flyer, I could go buy what I need and return that afternoon and make my money right back.

Steve
10-30-2007, 05:51 AM
That's great! How many flyers did you hand out?

Let us know how this goes!

FourSeasons
10-30-2007, 07:50 AM
Quote[/b] ]Think I could get away with $20/hr for that, $10 every half hour? Since it's kinda straining on the back?? I've got gloves already and small sheers I use for minor trims to bushes at my own home.

Quote[/b] ]There is good money in maintenance
I would go for somewhere close to $60/hr or a $1/minute. You gotta remember you are a business. You are going to have expenses to account for.
You are not doing sidejobs to save up and by a new bike to ride to school next year. Even though some people will act like this.

Angelik99
10-30-2007, 07:03 PM
Quote[/b] (FourSeasons @ Oct. 30 2007,7:50)]Quote[/b] ]Think I could get away with $20/hr for that, $10 every half hour? Since it's kinda straining on the back?? I've got gloves already and small sheers I use for minor trims to bushes at my own home.

Quote[/b] ]There is good money in maintenance
I would go for somewhere close to $60/hr or a $1/minute. You gotta remember you are a business. You are going to have expenses to account for.
You are not doing sidejobs to save up and by a new bike to ride to school next year. Even though some people will act like this.
Yeah I was talking to my dad about it today and he was like you need to charge by the job, so they know the total cost, plus brought up my expenses, gas, equpitment, taxes, etc. Saying how I need to factor that in, and yes really wasn't thinking about all that.

And I was looking at peoples yards/flower beds and thinking what I could charge for them, but I'm afraid I'll go too high with what I want. But I guess we could negotiate possibly?? Can't spell, lol!

At least until I get an idea of what people will pay for it?? Or do you think I should stick with exactly how much I originally say not drop it at all. Then maybe offer to do just the front or back and come back another time???

Example give them a full price for entire yard, front and back if they have gardens in both, and if they don't like it offer to do just the front for then and the back when they have more money?? Sound good??

Steve
10-30-2007, 07:08 PM
Well, as long as you know what your expenses are, it can't hurt to negotiate if you will still make an acceptable profit on the job. You can always come in high and feel out the customer. If you are too high, you can ask what they were looking to pay for such a job and then find a price you both can agree on.

The more you play around and experiment with this, the more comfortable you will get!

Angelik99
10-30-2007, 07:08 PM
Quote[/b] (Team Gopher @ Oct. 30 2007,5:51)]That's great! How many flyers did you hand out?

Let us know how this goes!
just a few so far, but I'm going to make up new ones tonight, my daughter is having a school event tomorrow and I figured I could probably pass out some flyers to the other parents/grandparents.

Then after I'm going to canvas my neighborhood since it's so close I'll save on gas/time to get me started with my side projects.

I'll def keep you posted on it!! http://www.gophergraphics.com/forum/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/yourock.gif http://www.gophergraphics.com/forum/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

Steve
10-30-2007, 07:31 PM
Are you going to be dressing up for halloween? Will you be handing out flyers to trick or treaters? Or if you go trick or treating?

FourSeasons
10-30-2007, 10:50 PM
Quote[/b] ]Yeah I was talking to my dad about it today and he was like you need to charge by the job, so they know the total cost,
Thats what I meant. Figure out the total time its gonna take you to do a job then figure around $60/hr. Multiply that by your estimated time to come up with your total.
I'm sure you know this by now.
If you are going to be doing alot of flower beds I would even add some extra time on top of the total. You can easily end up spending 30 min on a very small area when cleaning out beds.

Angelik99
10-31-2007, 10:34 AM
Quote[/b] (Team Gopher @ Oct. 30 2007,7:31)]Are you going to be dressing up for halloween? Will you be handing out flyers to trick or treaters? Or if you go trick or treating?
wow, now what would we do without you. With how busy I've been for today I didn't even really think about it! (again 2 kids, lol) Yes I will be dressing up, and we will be trick or treating this evening.

I'll get on making some flyers, I just bought candy for trick or treaters, I'll bag up the candy with flyers and hand them out as we go!!!!

Awesome, thank you!!!

Angelik99
10-31-2007, 12:36 PM
Yay, I decided to make mini flyers, out of print your own business cards. Put a big happy halloween, have a safe holiday from: Sarah's Lawn Care and Flower bed beautification.
And made the bottom like a coupon for parents. A keep this card for $__ off any service. And obvously listed services.
I should have sent a bunch in with my daughter to school today for her classmates!!! agh!!

Well at least I know what I'll do for the christmas season...these mini flyers with bags of candy, happy holidays style.

Also there was even a girl in her class last year who brought in candy with a thanksgiving theme for her classmates...so I'll have some time to do that one I suppose.
Well just shareing my ideas....;) Hopefully all this brainstorming will help others as well!!

Steve
10-31-2007, 09:24 PM
Sarah,

Do you have any pics of what you made? Can you show us or show the file?

I'd love to see it!

Angelik99
11-01-2007, 01:17 PM
Yeah I'll try to get a chance to edit out personal info and post a basic idea. I'll probably be able to get it up tonight.

This morning I sent all my leftovers (since we were out later than I thought we'd be) with my daughter for teachers, lunch ladies, etc!! Told her to give them to whoever she wanted, friends, staff, daycare staff/friends.

Last night I started sending her to the door with the business card size flyer to hand them when she got candy, LOL!! She's really outgoing, more so than I, plus she's cute, so figured it might go well!!

Steve
11-01-2007, 09:03 PM
Quote[/b] ]Last night I started sending her to the door with the business card size flyer to hand them when she got candy, LOL!! She's really outgoing, more so than I, plus she's cute, so figured it might go well!!
What kind of reaction did you get? Did you get any jobs because of it?

Angelik99
11-01-2007, 09:52 PM
Well I'm kinda shy unless I know they want the business, I was pretty much stuck in the street with a stroller, so I couldn't walk up, but I did see them reading the card when my daughter directly handed it to them.
So far I haven't heard anything, but that might be because halloween fell in the middle of the week which was pretty hectic. I know it was for me anyway!!!