PDA

View Full Version : Contractors License??

UNRgrounds
10-04-2007, 07:42 PM
Well, this spring will be the start of a side business until its feasible to do it solely. I have over a year of experience with the State of Nevada, and have been looking into legally starting a business here in Reno NV. I've been looking into becoming an LLC and getting my business name and license. So far isn't complicated. For a while, it will be a one man operation. Do I need to carry workers comp? Ive also heard I'll need a general contractors license. According to
NAC 624.280 Classification C-10: Landscape contracting
plant and maintain gardens, lawns, shrubs, vines, bushes, trees and other vegetation, construct systems of drainage and landscape irrigation,

Well, to get that license is atleast 4 years of experience in the field. I don't have four years, but I know more in the grounds department than most. I mow 24 hours of my work week as it is. I know what Im doing with a weed eater, edger, mower, and blower.

Anyone have any information on this? Any help on this would be GREATLY appreciated.

Steve
10-04-2007, 07:52 PM
Hi UNRgrounds,

Welcome to our forum. Nice to have you join us.

I don't think you need workman's comp if you are working by yourself. The contractor's license requirements vary from state to state, but I am thinking that wouldn't include lawn care.

What made you want to start your own business? Have you ever run a business before?

UNRgrounds
10-04-2007, 08:01 PM
Never owned my own business, but I want to. A. More money B. I love what I do. C. I know I can make it work. D. The quality of lawn care here in reno isn't the greatest. My girl's parents called around for a whip, edge, mow and blo service, and was quoted a MININUM of 175 dollars a WEEK. Its redicilous. I would take me at the most 45 minutes to do their front and back lawns. I feel as though I can bring competitive prices and quality of work here.

Steve
10-04-2007, 08:51 PM
What's making you wait until spring to start your business up? Could you do anything between now and then?

UNRgrounds
10-05-2007, 11:04 PM
Currently my time and such due to my job and family issues doesn't allow for feasible time to do so. Spring will be turning a new leaf. Literally.

Steve
10-05-2007, 11:37 PM
Well are there things you could do now to try and line up more business for the spring? If so, what have you been thinking about doing?