PDA

View Full Version : 5 things to ask your LOC

Big Lebowski
07-18-2007, 10:02 PM
I have read this several times. So what are the 5 things to ask your LOC?

Steve
07-18-2007, 10:04 PM
Do you mean lawn care operator?

Big Lebowski
07-18-2007, 10:44 PM
Yes. A yellow page suggestion was to say something about calling for the 5 things to ask your lawn care provider before hiring them.

tiedeman
07-18-2007, 11:08 PM
I can only think of 3 definite to ask

1. How long have they been in business
2. Are they insured
3. Are they licensed and/or certified

Big Lebowski
07-19-2007, 11:45 AM
This is from the Lawn Care Rebel book. I was curious if there actually is 5 questions to use. I love this idea and like to implement it. Anybody know?

Chestin Salisbury of www.LawnCareMarketingMagic.com directory advertising is that it can be profitable IF you design your ad properly.

Instead of just listing your services like all the other advertising lemmings, offer them some free information to help make their job easier. Put something like: "Do you know the '5 Questions You Should Ask Any Lawn Care Provider Before Letting Them Care For Your Lawn'? Before calling any other company, listen to this FREE recorded message by calling XXXXXX-
XXXX 24 hours a day."

You would then set up a special voice mail where you list the 5 reasons on the message. At the end of the message, you could present them with another offer that encourages them to leave their contact information after the beep, thus allowing you to continue to educate them on your services. This next offer could alsostart the process of weeding out the tire kickers.

Steve
07-19-2007, 05:33 PM
1. Is your landscaping company licensed?

2. Do you know what fertilizers and pesticides they're applying? How toxic are they? What will be the long-term effects? Are they harmful to the environment? Are they being applied at the correct rate and time? Will they destroy beneficial insects and plants? Could a less expensive or less toxic chemical be used as effectively?

3. Are they picking up the grass clippings?

4. Are they responsible? If you have a problem, does your service show up, return your call and fix the problem?

5. Is your lawn being over-treated? Take grub worms for example, just because you see one doesn't necessarily indicate a major infestation. Lawns with five or fewer grubs per square foot need not be treated at all.

Clean Lawn
07-19-2007, 07:05 PM
Ok if your just starting out and aren't insure because this seems to come up quite a bit. No I am not saying I don't want to be insured but I am checking out all the different companies so that I can get the best for my company and not the first one I see. Is somehow the company less than one that is? I mean just because someone is new and doesn't have it yet doesn't mean they are one of the best out there.

Big Lebowski
07-19-2007, 07:27 PM
Quote[/b] (Clean Lawn @ July 19 2007,7:05)]Ok if your just starting out and aren't insure because this seems to come up quite a bit. No I am not saying I don't want to be insured but I am checking out all the different companies so that I can get the best for my company and not the first one I see. Is somehow the company less than one that is? I mean just because someone is new and doesn't have it yet doesn't mean they are one of the best out there.
I'm not sure I understand your post.

Steve
07-19-2007, 07:34 PM
Quote[/b] ]Ok if your just starting out and aren't insure because this seems to come up quite a bit. No I am not saying I don't want to be insured but I am checking out all the different companies so that I can get the best for my company and not the first one I see. Is somehow the company less than one that is? I mean just because someone is new and doesn't have it yet doesn't mean they are one of the best out there.

It's a marketing angle. If you have insurance and another lawn care operator doesn't, then you want to try to sell the customer on the benefit of you having insurance. You can point out if an uninsured lco gets injured on a homeowner's property, the homeowner can be sued by the person injured.

Once the homeowner is aware of this, they may want to pay a little more to hire an insured lco.

You always want to make your company look better than competitors so you just accentuate your positives.

Big Lebowski
07-19-2007, 07:39 PM
Quote[/b] (Clean Lawn @ July 19 2007,7:05)]Ok if your just starting out and aren't insure because this seems to come up quite a bit. No I am not saying I don't want to be insured but I am checking out all the different companies so that I can get the best for my company and not the first one I see. Is somehow the company less than one that is? I mean just because someone is new and doesn't have it yet doesn't mean they are one of the best out there.
Ok I re-read it and read Teams reply and understand now.

Little's
07-19-2007, 10:32 PM
I got in with a property management company and take care of many of their properties. But the only way I could do that is to have liability insurance of $1,000,000. I dont have any employees, so I dont need workers comp. The liability only costs me about $90 per month. Do I think I'll ever need it?, probably not, but it helps me to get more customers, so it is well worth it.

Clean Lawn
07-21-2007, 09:23 PM
Yes, I want to have liability insurance but I want to be able to research and get the best one for my dollar here in Virginia Beach because at some point I am sure I will branch out into the commercial aspect of lawn care and landscaping but because I don't have employees and most likely won't for some time at least now I know a rough number that should be the ballpark number for me, thanks Little's.

Steve
07-21-2007, 10:23 PM
Quote[/b] ]Do I think I'll ever need it?, probably not, but it helps me to get more customers, so it is well worth it.
Will someone ever file a claim against you? Who knows. My view is, as soon as you can afford it, get it. Otherwise you are putting yourself at risk. If an injury were to occur and they do happen, you could be hit with a large judgement on a lawsuit that might take you forever to pay off.