PDA

View Full Version : Too many business licenses hurting new businesses?

Steve
01-23-2007, 12:51 PM
Are all these business licenses hurting us or helping us? Do they discourage new businesses from getting started? Do we need licenses for 'landscaping, screening, hard-surface paving?'

What's your view?

Discouraging business (http://www.moultrieobserver.com/local/local_story_022220611.html) - My husband and I were reading through - yes, I said we were reading — word for boring word - through the proposed zoning ordinance, which is scheduled to be set down on us in about 6 weeks or so.

I was struck —not merely by the incredible minutiae our previous board of commissioners has saddled us with but with the thought that some poor soul had to spend their time writing such a collection of gibberish. Creative businessmen? Entrepreneurship? Come on, those energetic, motivated folks will have to go outside of Colquitt County to start up their businesses. They couldn't afford the required landscaping, screening, hard-surface paving, permits, ad nauseum that may soon be coming to our county.

My own grandparents started their business here in Colquitt County way over 50 years ago, by selling their goods on the sidewalk. Their business continues today, in its third generation. Why can't we keep that attitude of opportunity here in Colquitt County?