PDA

View Full Version : Gas or diesel?

LOUROCK
06-17-2008, 05:49 PM
With astronaumical fuel prices today, Which should be the way to go for a new lawn care business to invest on? Gas or diesel engines? The average for gas is $4.00 per galon and diesel runs for about $4.95 per galon. Thats now, prices are still increasing... I dont know wich to look into, diesel is economical and last longer, But gas is $1.00 less per galon. Does it balances out? In the long run? http://www.gophergraphics.com/forum/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/wow.gif

Andrew's Lawn Care
06-17-2008, 09:41 PM
I would say that it depends on what you are wanting to do...
Diesel you will get more power/torque in your truck so if you need the power go diesel. Im not quiet sure what to say on diesel mowers though but if I had to take a guess I would say your looking at the same results but I don't know.

You may need to do some calculations to see how often you will be filling up with diesel vs. gas

UniversityLandscapers
06-17-2008, 11:31 PM
Diesel, at least in smaller cars is way more fuel efficient, so it's usually cheaper in the long run. Our owner is now talking about selling all our gas trucks to get diesels instead, since he plans to build his own biodiesel refinery to make us self-sufficient for fuel. I kinda doubt he'll be able to pull off creating enough supply for all 3 trucks to run constantly, but he seems pretty confident in his idea.

Steve
06-18-2008, 01:07 AM
What about with mowers?

UniversityLandscapers
06-18-2008, 10:33 AM
We only use push mowers...I don't think they even make diesels of those. But I would assume small diesel engines in mowers would get better fuel economy than their gas counterparts.

LOUROCK
06-18-2008, 03:47 PM
I'm just a bit concerned about the price of diesel now verses gas. But like andrew said diesel is where the power is... and i'm sure i'll get more milage on the galon. I just dont know wether to go brandnew or used yet. I dont need some one elses headaches either. I would have to get lucky with a good used one...if i choose that route.

Thanks http://www.gophergraphics.com/forum/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

Steve
06-18-2008, 06:17 PM
Luiz,

How much power do you need? What will you be towing? What will you be using the truck for? Hauling materials?

Can you get by with a smaller truck or do you need a big one?

What are you using now and how is it working out for you?

LOUROCK
06-19-2008, 09:25 PM
I'm using a Dodge Ram 1500 with a 6 foot bed. only 50k on it but its got a 4.7 engine and i haul a trailer with my lawn mowing equipment wich is too much for that truck to haul up and down my route. I have a 6x12 open trailer packed with my mowers. plus what ever i cary on my 6 foot bed, usualy clippings. those clippings are heavy at times and i hate unloading the truck by hand too. This year my accounts doubled do to word of mouth and i'm going to do alot of leaf hauling this year as well. I'm in debt to my eyeballs and i still owe 16k on the truck, I know i wont get that as a trade in though. so i dont know wether to go new or used or wether i'm ready or not to swich, i just cant afford to pay more than wut i pay now on my truck if i switch. all I know is that i better come up with a plan for the fall cleaning season coming up. http://www.gophergraphics.com/forum/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/wow.gif

LOUROCK
06-19-2008, 09:27 PM
I realy need a mason dump! http://www.gophergraphics.com/forum/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

VPS Lawn Care
06-19-2008, 11:02 PM
Hi lourock, i was in the car buiss for a couple years, and i sold dodge chrysler and toyota's, with the economy like it is now, the auto industry is really hurting for sales, or as we called it, units moved. i am sure you could trade for new and get the same or within $30 or $50 of the pmt you have now with no money down. Here is the trick to it, 1st you want to go to the largest dealer you can find, they deal in volume not indvl units, what this means is that there goal is to get a certain number of units out ea month to get what is known in the industry as unit bucks from the manufacture, on averge they get about 1400 to 2700 per unit if they hit there goal set buy the mfg, this is abouve and beound the hold back and mark-up to the sticker price. so if they sell a unit as a lost up to 1700, they still make money, so dont be fooled. they have so many programs going on rt now, forget the free gas offers, oil for life , tires for life and all that junk, its all in the price nothing is free in the car buiss, just go in and get a salesman and find what you want withen reason of coaurse to hit your pmt ( you can exspect to fig pmts like this, for every 5k of price, with average credit you will pay aprox $80 a month, so if the truck u look at is 20k the pmt would be 320 a month, if credit score above 700 you could get as good as 60 or 65 per 5k ) tell the sale's man this (after u pick a truck) let me fill out a credit app, then give him your card and say this is my only offer to you, if you can hit my pmt i will buy this truck with no money down, with my trade, then leave, and tell him to call you with the answer, they will try to get you to stay while they say they try, all they will try is to bump you, so dont fall into that trap. just leave after signing the credit app. wait for call, it wont take long, and prob will be a manager telling you why they cant do it, just say thank you no matter what they say and tell him not a nego. just the best you can do, then they may say come back and we will try, tell them i will come back not to try, but if you can say ok its a deal, and you will get it. just stay firm, you will get it. remember how to figure pmt to know if your in the ball park. any Questions just ask, good luck!

UniversityLandscapers
06-20-2008, 12:29 AM
Trucks are dirt cheap right now. Up here (where cars/everything costs way more), they are selling brand new Dodge Ram 1500s fully loaded with the 5.7 Hemi for $30,000. We bought one three years ago, and I can safely say it was a #### of a lot more than that.

Steve
06-20-2008, 04:37 PM
Instead of a mason dump, what about a used dump trailer?

Or installing one of Eric's dump kits, into your truck?

http://www.stealthdumptrucks.com

rwslippey
07-04-2008, 01:04 AM
probobly a little late on this but I had to comment on this....

I have seen several senerios where desiel plans a great roll ... and it may even help save money while boosteing your appeal to the media...

Bio desiel is a great oportunity to save alot of money... converting used corn oil from local fast food resturants isn't too complicated and it burns much cleaner...

might be an idea... I have 98 dakota with a blown motor colecting dust right now ... hopfully I plan to use it within my business later on once I get a motor but if I get a new motor is is deffenetly going to be something from cummins...

I know what your thinking a dakota with a cummins think of the milage

Let me know what you think

Steve
07-04-2008, 07:56 AM
I have seen several senerios where desiel plans a great roll ... and it may even help save money while boosteing your appeal to the media...

Bio desiel is a great oportunity to save alot of money... converting used corn oil from local fast food resturants isn't too complicated and it burns much cleaner...

Have you experimented with this yet?

metzlandscaping
08-18-2008, 12:07 PM
Can any of you guys out there that are running diesel trucks give me some kind of estimate on what your fuel mileage is. I am getting ready to retire my Suburban and am thinking about going with a diesel 1 ton, but I want to make sure I'm making the right decision before I do it. I never had an issue with the fuel mileage in my Sub before I started using it for the business. I knew it would not ever be that great because of how big and heavy it is so I was happy with getting 16 - 18 with it on the highway and about 12 around town. But now that it is always loaded up with my equipment and I'm always towing my lawn trailer around it really sucks. I average about 8 or 9 mpg. And to make it even worse, when I am pulling my dump trailer( which is a 7x14 4 ton model) and it is loaded, I get about 5 mpg. So I definately need something with more power, I just want to make sure a diesel is the way I should be going.