PDA

View Full Version : Great Dane 48" Super Surfer

jewwells
03-17-2008, 02:47 PM
http://www.gophergraphics.com/forum/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif
Thought I would share a picture of my new mower.
48" w/18HP Kohler

Steve
03-17-2008, 04:47 PM
Hi Julian,

It looks very nice! Why did you choose that model? What's your review of the product?

jewwells
03-17-2008, 06:53 PM
Have barely even started it.. LOL
Snowed Saturday, rain all day to day. More rain tomorrow.

I picked it over the Wright because of the money difference.
$2200.00 less. Some folks think the Wright is a great machine, some think the GD is fine too.
We have a rather larger landscape company down the street, so I just went down & talked with the owner there. They have GD's & Wright's. Some with Kawasaki & some with Kohler. He said, unless I use for 500+ hours a year, either would do me just fine. He did say, do not ever buy a mower with only recoil start.
He even let me play with two in his yard behind the buidling. I just felt more comfortable on the Great Dane, the plate is supported by springs. It is also larger than the Wright.
I opted for the Super Surfer with the floating deck.
Found a dealer on the net selling them for cost + shipping.
Bought extra blades, filters, belts & 2 scalp rollers too for their cost.

Oh, incase anyone throws this it at you.
There is a dealer in Texas selling Old "new" Wright equipment.
I was told I could get a 36" Wriight Stander for $3990, turns out why yes you can. As long as the year doesn't bother you. The one I was offered was made in Oct of 2001. Brand new still under factory warranty.

Soon as I get to wear it out some, I'll chime back in with real world usage info.

Steve
03-18-2008, 08:11 AM
Do you want to give a plug for the dealership you bought it from? Also do you want to say how you found the mower?

Others on the forum might be wanting to follow your lead http://www.gophergraphics.com/forum/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif

How did the price work out for you compared to if you bought it locally?

jewwells
05-07-2008, 02:45 PM
Has been very busy for me, haven't checked back in quite a while.

Comapny was cheapmowerparts.com John Mills 888-227-5940

After using this mower for a short while. I can say that yes, I made the best choice for my money.
Here in KC the dealer wants $6200 for the same mower.
I have been cutting a little over 140K SQ ft every week now since April 1st.
No issues have popped up, well other than my dumb ### scalped a small space in a lawn that I have cut 3 times now. Little starter fert & some seed. Lots of cool weather & rain have filled it in, so the homeowner didn't beoytch at all. Course it had to be right in front of the home near the street in plain view.

My only complaint about the stand up mower. When you put a bag on them, they are nearly 7' wide. Which sucks on most residential lawns. http://www.gophergraphics.com/forum/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/wheelgator2.gif

Steve
05-07-2008, 08:05 PM
Hi Julian,

It's great to hear your updates!

You should tell John to jump on here and make a plug for his business and say hi to everyone.

ProCut TM
05-08-2008, 10:16 PM
I'm looking at the Gravely stander for my next purchase, but I also want to try the Wright and GD before I buy. I tested the Gravely 34" but will most likely be going with the 48" The sticker price is very high though.
what is the deck size on your surfer and what did you pay?

Thanks,
JL

jewwells
06-13-2008, 05:26 PM
Sorry for the late reply. Life has been very busy!!
Paid $4550 for mine. I thought it was a good price, I actually had put it up for sale. I would like to buy a sit down style & another walk behind.
While I have no doubt that a Wright is a good mower. Go for the one you can get the cheapest deal on.
This Great Dane has been problem free & I have made just about enough now to pay for itself.
Airens, Gravely, Everride & John Deere are all the same mower. Well except JD, they use their own deck.