PDA

View Full Version : Modifications

Andrew's Lawn Care
06-05-2008, 09:53 PM
So I was mowing today and got to thinking...on the forum we have had many questions about how to save gas in trucks and truck mods to save. So I figured we mow A LOT, somebody out there should come up with some kind of mower mod to save gas/make it last longer.

Some things I thought of to save some gas...

1)Start working close to the truck (I figure you may end there occasionally too).

2)Don't run the weed eater/ Blower wide open if there isn't that much to cut/blow.

3)Mow faster cause the motor is running the same speed if you crawl or fly.

4)The obvious don't run the engine/equipment if not neccesary

5)Try not to let the grass get out of hand causing the mower to bogg down sucking the gas.

For the truck...

1)Don't stomp the gas leaving a light or to get up a hill.

2)Drive under the speed limit when on highways (5-10mph, i read that for every 5kmh that you are over 90kmh aka 60 you are spending 5 cents per mile, do the math you will be surprised and slow down when you see the number)

3)Keep all excess weight off the truck/trailer (if you don't need it why take it)

This is what I came up with today while working. I'd like to hear what everyone else can come up with. http://www.gophergraphics.com/forum/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/pointlaugh.gif

Andrew

Steve
06-06-2008, 03:00 AM
Andrew,

Good ideas. You know what would be really neat? If you operated one week without doing any of this and logged how much you spent on gas. Then the next week, do all the things you suggested and then tell us how much was spent on gas then!

That would be fascinating to see the difference and then you could multiple the $ amount by the amount of weeks you perform yard car each year.

comanche
06-10-2008, 11:47 AM
Hey,

I would like to add somethin if i could. I find that the machines run way better on high octane fuel.The machines don't have much trouble with the tall stuff.

Andrew's Lawn Care
06-10-2008, 09:14 PM
Yes I know it adds a little extra power, but on all my equipment I think it says only run 87 octane.

UniversityLandscapers
06-10-2008, 10:05 PM
I read somewhere that the optimal speed to drive at on freeways for most cars is 100 km/h (60 mph), since most transmissions are dialed in to stay in a decent throttle range at that speed (since it's the basic highway speed). It might be different for larger trucks though.

One of the best cars on gas I ever drove was a BMW that had a 6 speed manual. We went from Vancouver to LA to Vegas and back on I think 7 tanks of gas, all while driving well over the speed limit, but the 6 speed allowed us to cruise around 80 mph while still revving around 1500 rpm at cruising speed.