PDA

View Full Version : Different Season Topic

Andrew's Lawn Care
05-30-2008, 08:52 PM
I was curious to know what everyone else knows about snow plowing, like: the cost to start, does it hurt the truck any (i have Silverado 2500HD), how do you know what to charge, what type of plow to get, etc...

musician/lawnman
05-30-2008, 09:09 PM
I offer free snow plowing with my annual lawn maintenence contracts.

Though, I've never had to plow anything, & I don't own a plow? I've gotten plowed. http://www.gophergraphics.com/forum/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/cool.gif
I've seen friends get really plowed. http://www.gophergraphics.com/forum/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/mad.gif

But I haven't yet had to plow. http://www.gophergraphics.com/forum/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

Sorry, I live in Southern Florida. http://www.gophergraphics.com/forum/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif

comanche
05-31-2008, 12:25 AM
question.

What do you want to do comercial or residential?

Andrew's Lawn Care
05-31-2008, 08:05 AM
doesn't matter. just curious to know some of the things I listed plus some. just seems like a good money maker but I don't want to screw up my truck.

Andrew's Lawn Care
05-31-2008, 11:00 PM
does anyone know anything about the topic

comanche
06-02-2008, 01:04 AM
I suggest you look up all the snow blade, snow plow, V blade and salt spreaders on google. You will be amazed how many different types there are. Also it will tell you where the nearest dealer to you is. Don't go cheap. Get to know if the snow plow is steel or kevlar or fiberglass. That will tell you if you will need heavy duty shocks up front to handle the weight of the snow plow it self. Also do you want to get into mor then just snow you have to think about what to do after you plow. The driveway or parking lot will be very slippery so salting or sanding is a must for traction. Just a few things to think about. If you want to just do your residential lawn care customers you can get a ATV with a snow blade for about the same price you spend on a blade for your truck. Just take a shovel with you for the quick jobs. You can make good money this way. I have made a killing just doing residential jobs. Thats why i asked if you wanted residential or commercial. Let me know if i helped. mike

Steve
06-02-2008, 01:56 AM
Mike,

How do you suggest estimating jobs? Both Residential and commercial?

Andrew,

There are a few free snow plow contracts available in the contract section if you are interested in them.

gotta_mow
06-02-2008, 09:24 AM
Hey Andrew,
For my full time job, among other things I drive snow plows for the Ohio Department of Transportation. I realize what I do and what you would be doing is quite different but out trucks take one #### of a beating. We frequently knock things off the plows and crack the frames. We have a welder at the shop daily. There is also a weld shop down the street from my garage that offers "emergency repairs".

I would think that the plowing would not be all that hard on the truck but the hitting the hidden objects would.

Ben

Andrew's Lawn Care
06-02-2008, 10:29 AM
Thanks Ben that is basically the response that I was looking for.

Steve
06-02-2008, 11:38 AM
One of my friends who offers lawn fertilization services also snow plows in the winter. I think the first year he started it, he was using a new truck and the front end took a beating, so what he did the following years was he bought these rust bucket pickups and put his plows on them instead.

comanche
06-03-2008, 01:14 AM
Steve,
The way i usually estimate on a job is figure out haw much the customer wants you to respond to. Let me explain. Do i have a 2 inch snow response or do i respond to any little dusting of snow. That tells me if i should charge by the hour or buy the job. When you have just gotten a 2 inch snowfall the time to clear it is longer then if its just a dusting. The estimateing has gotten easier now i know what my machine can clear. So that takes out the guess work. I charge $30per hour or 25 per yard. Hope that makes cents.

Steve
06-03-2008, 02:31 AM
Very interesting!

How do you charge for snowblowing or hand shovelling? Do you offer those services?

What about salting / sanding?

comanche
06-03-2008, 11:46 PM
my snow blade is used more then by hand but i include it all in the cost of either $30 per hour or $25 per yard. I offer the $25 or $50 per yard for my reg clients. Depending on the size of their driveway. If its any body else i charge $30 per hour. I haven't had to use the snow blower yet . I can do the snow removal with the snow blade usually.

comanche
06-03-2008, 11:52 PM
I have suggestions to all my clients to use grass and shrub friendly snow melter. They have the choice of buying it or getting me to buy it for them. I will spread it out and include it in the cost of the snow removal or plowing. A bag usually can be bought for about $6-$8. Lasts about a week depending on the snow fall.

bigpete
06-06-2008, 01:16 PM
With you having a 3/4 ton truck I do not think you will have that muck of a problem with the plow hurting the truck. I have seem people plow with 1/2 ton trucks and they do ok. I do know that with the 1/2 ton if you are not careful or do allot of plowing you can mess up the transmission. I would still say that you should be ok.