PDA

View Full Version : Which mower is better?

tomcat172002
05-17-2008, 08:45 PM
Hi,

I just started my lawn care business. I worked for someone last year who had quit a few accounts. He used Walkers and swore they were the best. I also know people who claim Scag's are the best? I was just wondering anyone have any input which is better or is there something better then either of those two?

Little's
05-18-2008, 01:26 AM
They are both very good quality machines. it is like the Ford or Chevy; Honda or Toyota debate. You would probably be happy with either.
I know I would.

Steve
05-18-2008, 10:22 AM
How difficult is it to demo each one from a dealership? How long would you get to try one out?

tomcat172002
05-18-2008, 05:01 PM
I used a Walker when I worked for another company. It seemed to be a good mower. When I went to the Scag dealer they claimed there mower was the best for grasscutting. I bought a small Freedom Z 36. I don't really see any difference in cutting between the 2 mowers but the Scag does seem pretty heavy. I might be upgrading to a 48 inch but I wasn't sure if I should go Walker or Scag? I don't know how they hold up in the long run.

Andrew's Lawn Care
05-24-2008, 01:31 PM
I don't know that much about Walker but i do own to Scags and have used Dixie Chopper and John Deere. I have to different decks. One is the 48" Advantage deck and the other is a 61" Velocity deck (the new style for scag). Let me put it simple the if I had the extra money I would sell my 48" Advantage deck and get the new velocity deck. This new deck absoluty sets its own standards. You can't compete with it. I was told that they used a Scag 61" Velocity vs. a John Deere 60" and the scag was untouchable. Oh and the scag I believe had a few hp less then the John Deere.
Hope this helped you out.

StartALawnCareBusiness
05-24-2008, 02:05 PM
Quote[/b] ]This new deck absoluty sets its own standards.

Hi Andrew:

Thanks for the tip on this new deck. I'm going to drop by my local Scag dealer next week to get familiar with this deck.

I have owned various model Scags since 1995. After 13 years, I have had mostly positive experiences with them.

Keith

Steve
05-24-2008, 06:35 PM
Keith,

What is your view on the purchase of consumer model mowers for commercial uses? Does it pay to do this or is it better to buy even a used commercial mower?

StartALawnCareBusiness
05-26-2008, 12:25 PM
Quote[/b] ]Keith,

What is your view on the purchase of consumer model mowers for commercial uses? Does it pay to do this or is it better to buy even a used commercial mower?

In my experience, consumer grade lawn mowers simply do not hold up to the abuse of commercial lawn work.

Thin decks, shoddy welds, and wimpy bearings all factor into increased maintenance costs for a consumer unit. *Down time during maintenance adds to your costs.

I have nothing against starting out with an inexpensive mower but I would rather buy a 1 year old used commercial unit than a new consumer mower.

When buying a mower, the first thing I look at is deck construction. *If a mfg. puts cheap parts into a deck, they are going to put cheap parts into the rest of the mower.

Scag, Snapper(commercial), Ferris, etc. Those decks are solid and will withstand the occasional and inevitable contacts with trees, fence posts, and trailer gates.

If anyone else has questions on commercial lawn mowers (http://www.StartALawnCareBusiness.com), please let me know.

Keith

Steve
05-26-2008, 03:50 PM
Quote[/b] ]I have nothing against starting out with an inexpensive mower but I would rather buy a 1 year old used commercial unit than a new consumer mower.

What is your limit as far as machine hours go? How many hours would make it a bad deal? What range would make it a good deal?

StartALawnCareBusiness
05-26-2008, 11:05 PM
Quote[/b] ]What is your limit as far as machine hours go? How many hours would make it a bad deal? What range would make it a good deal?

I probably wouldn't look at a lawn mowing machine with more than 1,500 hours depending on its upkeep maintanence.

I follow a checklist I developed when examining any used (or new) lawn care equipment.

Keith