PDA

View Full Version : Sport Team Management Vs. Business Management

Steve
03-09-2006, 02:05 PM
A few nights ago I had the opportunity to talk with Troy about this topic. He was the captain of the football team in HS. We didn't get too involved in this specific but I would like to hear more of your thoughts about this.

How is managing a a team similar or different than managing a business?

Should you treat people in each of these groups similarly or differently?

LawncareMarketingMagic
03-09-2006, 08:59 PM
In my opinion, when coaching a team you have to approach players differently. Individuals are unique and sometimes require different approaches in order to bring the best out of them.

It's the same in business. One employee will respond to instructions or directions differently than the next. Being good at it requires knowing and understanding what it takes to get the most out of your people.

To take it one step further, the same could be said about your customers. Customers respond differently to different approaches. Some customers are more valuable to your business than others and its up to you to figure out who those 'valuable' customers are, what it takes to keep them motivated to buy, and then keep nuturing the relationship to enhance their profitability as a customer.

tiedeman
03-10-2006, 11:05 AM
I will go on further about what I have experienced: *When coaching a sports team the players already have your respect either by your social status in school or by your performance on the field.

With employees they really only care about your treatment of them and what you can provide to them. *At least that is what I have noticed. *They know that they have to give you respect, but they know that it's just a job and they can always find work some place else.

While with the sports team they know that it they don't listen, and don't respect you 100% of the time, then they will not only be "made fun or picked on" on the sports field, but also in the social setting

Steve
03-10-2006, 12:36 PM
This is a really fascinating topic.
Here we all go through school and are trained in a certain way. Sports, we are told will help us understand team work.
But it seems the way we handle a sports team and the way we handle our employees really are two different skill sets.