PDA

View Full Version : Found a great lock for enclosed trailers

musician/lawnman
02-24-2008, 02:36 AM
Check this bad boy out.....
If I lost the key to this I think i would be easier to just take a sawsall to the side of the trailer.....

http://i260.photobucket.com/albums/ii25/jacksomebody/AAA%20Quality/AAAEquipmentphotos-07.jpg (http://s260.photobucket.com/albums/ii25/jacksomebody/AAA%20Quality/?action=view&current=AAAEquipmentphotos-07.jpg)

I sleep a little better now. Only $27 a Piece!

Steve
02-24-2008, 03:13 PM
Hi Chuck,

Where did you get that at? Online or at a trailer supply store?

musician/lawnman
02-24-2008, 04:50 PM
Well Master lock makes a similar kit but it's about $57 a peice available at home depot, Looking at that I figured the lock design would be Ideal to just lock & cover the latch types that are on most enclosed trailers. *Tha master lock version comes with 2 plates that mounts on the trailer & when you close the door the plates line up & you put the lock on there.... *But it would wouk for rear liftgates. *So I figured If I could buy just the lock maybe it would work. *So I stopped in a local lock & key shop that carries American lock (which apparently was the original designer for this type of lock).
I did have to grind about 1/8" off each side of the flanges on the trailer to get them to fit into the lock mechanism but they work great & bolt cutters would be useless against them. *My Father-in Law is also a smalL lco (Cool Lawn Service -who is also running gopher software on my recommendation by the way) about an hour north of us & he had his trailer broken into & was cleaned out unfortunately. *I decided to beef up my lock system.

If you wanna avoid hunting for them order them from the shop where I found them & tell em' Chuck sent ya. *Ask for the owner - Bob he's a #### of guy!

Absolute Lock & Key

21202-A2 Olean Blvd

Port Charlotte, FL 33952-6709

(941) 629-2229

Steve
02-25-2008, 01:13 PM
Thank you very much Chuck!

I hope others are inspired by your story to protect their equipment from theft!

Do you ever talk about marketing ideas with your father-in-law? Does he help you come up with new ideas? Has any certain marketing idea worked well for him that you have tried too?

musician/lawnman
02-25-2008, 11:01 PM
No he lives in a community & only services lawns in his subdivision, much smaller lots & less $ per lawn, but he only does it part time & picks up some extra bucks, Started by doing just his lawn, then a few neighbors, now i think over 30+ customers all within about a mile total route lenth! Pretty quick to knock em out when you do most of the block.
He does no mrketing at all.

Steve
02-25-2008, 11:31 PM
Well good for him!

I bet you two have some great business conversations!