PDA

View Full Version : Enclosed trailer or Open trailer?

jeffslawnservice
01-01-2008, 06:08 PM
I have 4 x 8 open trailer right know and it is doing me good for just starting out. But the thing I am running into is that I can only fit my 44" zero and and my push mower and thats it. Everything else goes in the back of my truck and at the end of the day I have to take everything out and put in my shed which doesn't fit my zero. So I cover my zero with a tarp at the end of the day.

So the question is should I stick with open trailer and get a bigger size or go for a enclosed and not have to worry about all of that?

realhuntin
01-01-2008, 06:17 PM
Well if equipment storage is a problem then I would go with an enclosed unit. Make sure you get one of those good master hitch locks for it so no one can hook and drive if your not around, these can cost a little more so if you get one get what you want now that will store all your equipment at one time and have room for future equipment, like another commercial walk behind or bigger Z.

Just my opinion
Tim

jeffslawnservice
01-01-2008, 10:55 PM
thanks tim for the response. I was looking at a 7 x 16 dual axle.

ABurlison
01-01-2008, 11:03 PM
I've seen a few guys in my area using like old U-Haul moving trucks, the small ones, that sounds like a great set-up to me, but I wonder if unloading and loading might be an issue, anyone on here use a box truck or know someone who has and whether it was convenient or not?

THANKS

ABurlison
01-01-2008, 11:05 PM
Here's another one I found with a Landscapers Body on it.

realhuntin
01-02-2008, 12:25 AM
Quote[/b] (ABurlison @ Jan. 01 2008,11:03)]I've seen a few guys in my area using like old U-Haul moving trucks, the small ones, that sounds like a great set-up to me, but I wonder if unloading and loading might be an issue, anyone on here use a box truck or know someone who has and whether it was convenient or not?

THANKS
Yes and hated it every day! to tall and wabbly. it was an Isuzu cabover, hate it hate it hate it!

Oh did i mention I HATE IT!

My trade buddy had 2 they lasted one season and sold them. they hated them to.

ABurlison
01-02-2008, 12:30 AM
That's kinda what I figured, they sound cool, especially the moving box truck, cause I could lock everything up and not have to unload everything, but I guess an enclosed Trailer is the way to go.

realhuntin
01-02-2008, 12:31 AM
Quote[/b] (jeffslawnservice @ Jan. 01 2008,10:55)]thanks tim for the response. *I was looking at a 7 x 16 dual axle.
Cool that is what I have in a open. I do hardscape and have to haul skid steer and other equipment so it benifits me to have the open trailer.

when looking at the enclosed unit spend the extra money for the trailer brakes and brake away safty brakes, it will save ware ands tare on your truck, speeking of truck a 150 or 1500 may not be big enough truck to pull the enclosed with it full of equipment so think about that also.

realhuntin
01-02-2008, 12:38 AM
Quote[/b] (ABurlison @ Jan. 01 2008,11:05)]Here's another one I found with a Landscapers Body on it.
this thing is nice but it is like the box truck limited on its use. ever try to get a big cat on one, better have those pucker pantties on cuz you'll need them when your butt eats the seat.

Now dont get me wrong this is only my thoughts and experiences with these things. the lower landscape truck as they are called could be fine if all your doing is cutting and have a place to park it inside at night and on weekends when your not in it other wise your equipment is out in the weather and where people can see it.

ABurlison
01-02-2008, 12:46 AM
Yeah, I mean at this point all I do is push mower stuff, I did get a contract accepted starting in April for a very large complex, so I will need a Zero Turn mower or something of that nature, but definitely nothing like the equipment your hauling. So that is why I was considering an enclosed box truck, I found a couple here in my town the Toyota U-Haul's for under $2000, but I wasn't sure about the loading part, I could fabricate a drop down gate to ride a riding mower up into it, but I'm still not sure what I wanna do.

Tax time coming up and I always get around 3-4K back, so I've been thinking about what I wanna do. I currently have a trailer, its a chevy pickup long bed trailer, which suits me for now, and my Suburban for towing, but was considering either a pickup and trailer or a box truck, still undecisive.

Steve
01-04-2008, 08:58 PM
Hi Andy,

What do you feel is wrong with your current setup? Does it slow you down? Or what is the downside?

ABurlison
01-05-2008, 07:21 AM
Well, I think at this point its functional, but when I get a bigger mower, I might be running out of room, not to mention I'm not sure how I'd get a riding mower up into it. But it works for now, might look a little unprofessional compared to a nice landscape utility trailer, but its functional at this point.