PDA

View Full Version : Trucks

S.P.Martin Lawn Care
11-05-2007, 07:43 PM
Been looking at some tempting deals on new 1 ton and larger chassis and dumps. Slow sales seems to be having an effect on dealers offering some pretty good prices.

Chev and GMC trucks around here seem to be mostly 6.0 gas powered. Talking to owners they all say they are gas hogs, lucky to get 8 to 10 mpg. Duramax is maybe 5 mpg better.

Ford owners all seem to have diesel power, mpg is only as good as the Duramax. V-10 gets 11 mpg no matter what you do to it.

Dodge owners all seem to be Cummins powered, mpg better than Ford or Duramax. The 5.7 Hemi is another gas hog in this application.

So of course diesel fuel is now about 35 to 40 cents more expensive than gas....

What would you do? Me, I'm waiting awhile longer for prices to drop some more on trucks.

Little's
11-05-2007, 09:52 PM
Oh no! Please dont start the Chevy/Ford/Dodge debate. Nothing good ever comes of it.

Pick Chevy. I have a Suburban with the Vortec 350, and I can always depend on 15 mpg. If people are only getting 8-10 mpg it just means they have a heavy foot.

Chevy Rules! Just kidding.

S.P.Martin Lawn Care
11-05-2007, 11:20 PM
I guess I was thinking out loud/writing to see if anyone had real life experiences without interjecting any brand loyalty bias. You are right, I should have known better!

The real quandary has to do with gas vs diesel and the prices differential between the fuels. Six of one, half dozen of the other...

Looking Good Lawn service
11-18-2007, 05:25 PM
I think the main thing to consider is which manufacturer gives you the options you need. In a way they all offer different set-ups. the only real argument to be brought up is gas vs. diesel. Diesel is at least 6k more than a comparable gas model new. But is has more torque for heavy loads and rev slower, and doesnt downshift as much=better fuel economy. However, diesel is alot more than gas to buy. Also maintainance is more on the diesel, no more 20 buck oil changes like in the gasser, diesel oil changes are at least 100 bucks. I have both, and I like the diesel 6.6 duramax 3500 better because it has more power going up hills with a load and enclosed trailer than my 6.0 3500 gas. But my Ford 7.3 powerstroke is just as good , gets better mpg's than both,lol. Only get the diesel if you tow heavy and are in a hilly area where you struggle to keep up speed.

Steve
11-18-2007, 05:47 PM
Quote[/b] ] I have both, and I like the diesel 6.6 duramax 3500 better because it has more power going up hills with a load and enclosed trailer than my 6.0 3500 gas.

Do you have any pictures you can show us? http://www.gophergraphics.com/forum/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif