PDA

View Full Version : Trailers

Big Lebowski
07-25-2007, 06:11 PM
I know that everyone is in agreement that buying the biggest trailer you can afford is the best option.

My question has to do with a mere 1 foot difference. I think I already know the answer but I welcome comments/suggestions.

I have found a 6x12 for $1400 but a 7x12 (same place) for $1350. They are identical except for the extra 1 foot and yet cheaper by $50. I'm not sure I understand the pricing but anyway - any reason why I shouldn't buy the 7x12 as apposed to the 6x12? They both have a split rear gate, a side gate, 15" tires and around 2000lb+ payload capacity.

Thanks.

Little's
07-25-2007, 06:31 PM
Are they made differently. Is one stronger structurally than the other? I just built a 6x12 that I will be taking pictures of to show everyone. The only thing that might keep me from buying the 7x12 would be turning issues. That extra foot can make a big difference in hitting that curb, or not. I would check the frame of the two and compare them.

Steve
07-25-2007, 08:01 PM
Very often when someone buys a trailer, they come back onto the forum in a relatively short time and advise the readers, to buy a bigger trailer than you think you need now because they tend to be out grown rather quickly.

So based on previous posts, I would say go with the larger one.

Littles I am looking forwards to seeing your pics! http://www.gophergraphics.com/forum/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

S.P.Martin Lawn Care
07-26-2007, 06:59 AM
Go with the wider trailer. Just be sure it can carry the weight of your stuff.

Big Lebowski
07-26-2007, 04:26 PM
Thanks guys!

tiedeman
07-26-2007, 08:09 PM
I would check with the axel, whether the tires are new, the type of wiring is done, etc. Just because it's cheaper doesn't always mean its the best.

I know of one trailer dealer around here that sells the trailers dirt cheap. But, there is no wiring done for the lights and the tires on them are used.

tiedeman
07-26-2007, 08:10 PM
One other thing that I just thought about is make sure where the position of the axel is at on the trailer; that can effect towing big time, and also check to see whether the trailer is actually sprung or not. That could be why they are selling it so cheap.