PDA

View Full Version : Battery troubleshooting?

bogilvie
06-07-2007, 05:19 PM
Hey guys, sounds dumb...but....
My jeep battery connection are getting corrsion on the conections. I just cleaned them the other day with a can of coke and a bristle brush.

My battery is not charging . I jump it with a battery box and it fires right up, I ran it awhile drove it home and turned it off. The battery would not start. Do you think it could be the alternator or just a bad battery?

I am hoping to take it to auto-zone tommorow to have them test it. Hopefully its a bad battery and I wont have to mess with Removing and replacing my alternator!

Any help or insight would be welcomed!

Steve
06-07-2007, 05:31 PM
It seems a lot of times they go at about the same time. If the battery is dying it puts a strain on the alternator and can kill it. If the alternator is going, the battery never gets a chance to fully charge.

Does your jeep have a volt meter?

I would think if you charged your battery for a bit and it still wouldn't get the truck started then I would replace it. Were you able to charge it up?

myrlin
06-07-2007, 08:48 PM
Start the jeep and while it is running, unhook one battery cable. If the jeep still runs, the alternator is fine and the battery isn't any good.

Barry
Barry's Lawns n More