PDA

View Full Version : Grass build up on mower deck

Steve
04-25-2007, 12:32 PM
Quote[/b] ]I recently started up a lawn cutting business and moved up to ZTR mower. Since purchasing this mower I picked up a few more lawns as well. Can anyone here advise me on how to prevent heavy grass build up under the deck? I realize that it needs to be cleaned periodecally ,but I have only 7 lawns presently and after the first day out the deck was PACKED with grass. Also how does everone keep the deck clean? Some say to power wash the deck after each use, others say DON"T use water to clean the deck , it will rust out the deck? Thanks guys , I appreciate any and all advice. jim Clean Cut Lawncare Service

Posted by jims56

tiedeman
04-25-2007, 10:47 PM
I have only heard of two ways: either cleaning it regularly like you are doing, or spraying the underside with some type of silicon

plumgreekmob
04-26-2007, 01:12 AM
What i did was took engine oil and put it under the deck with a sponge and windex bottle.It coated the deck with oil to battle the water when i cleaned it off.Worked great for me!

KimKriel
04-26-2007, 08:01 AM
To keep it from sticking I'm Not sure because the grass is so sticky right now but what we do is power wash it of then we use a cheap garden sprayer and spray it with diesel fuel it is light enought it will mostly run off over night so no chance of messing up lawns but still leaves a good film of oil on it and gets into all the tight spots on the deck.

jims56
04-26-2007, 07:53 PM
HI guys, thanks for the replys. Again today after just 3 lawns ,the deck was caked with grass. I bought a electric winch from Harbor Freight and installed it in the ceiling of my garage and use this to lift my Scag up with. I also heard today to use Pam cooking spray to coat the deck with , but that could get pretty expensive. What I would really like to do is to remove the Advantage deck, take my small grinder and grinf it smooth and then refinish the deck with deck paint, but the Scag dealer is telling me not to remove the deck because it is a pain in the neck to try and hook it back up and level it. Would love to talk to someone that runs Scag equipment and see if this is true or not. thanks Jim

tiedeman
04-27-2007, 07:43 PM
I have heard fluid film works good

pnplawn
04-27-2007, 09:06 PM
I would like to know what kinda mower are you useing? What type of grass are you cutting and is it wet when you mow it?

jims56
04-29-2007, 10:41 AM
Mower is a 2003 Scag Tiger Cub w/ 52" Advantage deck. I never go out till after 9:00am so that the dew has somewhat evaporated off the grass. Location is Upstate NY..thanks

pnplawn
04-29-2007, 11:15 PM
I dont understand why the grass is clumping to the deck? I have dixe chopper I have never had to removed dryed grass from the bottom of the deck.

hoghunter
05-01-2007, 01:15 AM
I use WD40 to spray my decks. It takes a while to be real effective but after it builds up on the decks I have no problems with grass build up.

pnplawn - You must have better luck than I with your DC. My deck builds up all the time. I still waiting for the WD40 to take effect. Not much longer.

jims56
05-01-2007, 08:16 AM
Hi Guys, from what I've read , I think its the area in which I live in. I'm in NY and I guess that this time of the year the guys that cut, say you just have to deal with it. This grass is wet and sticky till around the middle of June. So, I bought a can of Silicone and will scrap the bottom really good and let it dry ,then spray this silicone on and see if it makes a difference. I will post results in the next few weeks.

tiedeman
05-01-2007, 09:38 PM
Could be the different buildup is because of the type of grass species as well. Perhaps warm season grass doesn't clump compared to cool season grasses

hoghunter
05-13-2007, 01:38 PM
We overseed in the winter with rye and have the smae problems that you have. It just works better to spray your deck with WD40. I still don't have the smae amount of build up spraying the deck.

myrlin
05-13-2007, 07:59 PM
what part of ny i am from albany live in fl now.

barry