PDA

View Full Version : Changing/sharpening blades

sts2660
03-30-2007, 11:41 AM
What are the fastest ways to change or sharpen the blades on a zeroturn.Do you drop the deck,hoist one end up or just raise it enough to get the blade off?

tiedeman
03-30-2007, 12:52 PM
I would recommend getting an air impact ratchet or even just an electric one. Take the nuts off the spindle bolts for the bolts drop with the blades. Hoist up the deck a little bit to get the blades out and sharpen each blade on a bench grinder.

S.P.Martin Lawn Care
03-30-2007, 06:14 PM
I'm using an engine hoist hooked to the frame to lift the front end up. *Found that raising it from below via the deck with a hydraulic jack put unanticipated stress on the machine. *

I've come up with a rig to address that problem, but I can't tell you more than that as I've applied for a patent on it. *Built one for myself and it works quite well. *If a patent is granted, I'll build some more for sale.

Jim Adams
03-31-2007, 03:30 AM
I sawed holes in my trailer deck at appropriate spots. I'd then slide my spare (sharp) blades under the tractor deck, roll under the trailer on a creeper with an impact tool, change the blades by working through the holes, and roll out. Quick, easy, and absolutely safe.

Jim