PDA

View Full Version : Turning plow customers down?

Steve
12-10-2006, 01:49 PM
Have you ever had to turn down plow customers because you just didn't have enough time or equipment?

Moving the snow: 'We're glad to see you, but not really' (http://www.siouxcityjournal.com/articles/2006/12/10/news_business/local/02f5f4da615729bf862572400014b9ec.txt) - This year, in fact, he had to turn down some new customers.

"When somebody calls, I do hate to turn them down, but I don't want to get to the point where you can't handle it," he said. "I know we could handle more but it could turn into a real headache because moving dirt is our main priority. If we set it up to do snow and we commit to that contract, we're not going to back out of it."

All of the snow removal contracts are set up to allow Lieber its own judgment regarding start times and work scheduling, with the exeption of St. Luke's requesting someone on site as soon as possible. But even St. Luke's doesn't call with specific requests once the work has begun, Barker said.

Billz
12-10-2006, 04:59 PM
I dont turn down much work unless it is out of my route. Once I start getting filled up, if you aren't within a couple blocks of where I will be anyway, I won't take it. Otherwise I start getting slower to my customers, and it doesn't make me or them feel good. I have lost lawn customers over plowing, so I am very careful not to take anything that I don't feel I can handle easily!

Steve
12-10-2006, 06:12 PM
Quote[/b] ] I have lost lawn customers over plowing, so I am very careful not to take anything that I don't feel I can handle easily!

I never thought of that but it makes sense.

Have you ever lost a lawn customer because you didn't take them on as a plow customer?

Billz
12-10-2006, 07:03 PM
not yet. I am going to try to sub a couple drivers next year to cover the areas I can't cover on my own...I hate to, because there are a whole list of things that can go wrong, but I feel the least amount of contact the customer has with another lawn company the better for me!

Steve
12-11-2006, 02:08 PM
Quote[/b] ] I am going to try to sub a couple drivers next year to cover the areas I can't cover on my own...I hate to, because there are a whole list of things that can go wrong
Have you ever heard of an lco setting up their sub contracts to include a bonuse payment at the end of the season if no problems arise with the sub? Maybe the bonus would be actually a % of money held back to make sure the entire season contract was completed with no problems?

Or how best does one deal with this?