PDA

View Full Version : Recycled rubber mulch

Steve
06-17-2008, 01:14 PM
I thought this was neat seeing how Wal-mart is recycling.

Would you use this product? Could marketing this product help your business appear more 'green'? Would that attract new clients?

Square milk and mulch from old tires (http://money.cnn.com/2008/06/16/news/companies/gunther_walmart.fortune/index.htm?postversion=2008061705) - a product called Majestic Rubber Mulch that Wal-Mart began selling in March. It's a mulch made from recycled tires - tires from its auto and lube shop that, in the past, would have been be carted away. Now Wal-Mart has eliminated that cost, and turned it into a revenue center by selling the old tires to a company that turns them into what Wal-Mart says is a non-toxic, latex-free mulch that can be used for playgrounds, pools, pond areas or gardens. The mulch nuggets sell from $5.47 for a 20-lb bag.

All Aspects Landscaping
06-17-2008, 06:11 PM
I priced this out last year, the price was $800.00 per ton. I had about 6 customers request a price for this, but the estimate was too high. Now with gas being so high, Im sure this will also go up.

UniversityLandscapers
06-17-2008, 11:27 PM
I could see it being used for playgrounds and stuff, but I think it is a little environmentally degrading to be throwing that stuff in gardens, etc. since it will never break down and may leach chemicals etc. into the soil.

Little's
06-17-2008, 11:31 PM
I have customers with it in their kids playground area. The one thing I dont like about it is when it gets hot, it smells exactly like a tire shop.

GTA
10-02-2008, 05:29 PM
FYI:
It's not good around trees and shrubs. Rubber mulch will leach loads of "Zink" which is not good for plants in large amounts.

cklandscapingorlando
10-02-2008, 06:12 PM
Your looking at .5 cu.ft. for 10 bucks or 2 cu.ft.for 1.50 of mulch.I've only had one client pay that price.I will say that it stays where you put it and it still looks new 2 years later.Also all the plants seem to thrive in it just as mulch.Knock out rose,african iris,viburnum,indian hawthorn,boxwoods,bougainvilla,hibiscus,plumbago,m andaville,var.arbocala,and every color of lantana are the plants.No extra fert except the lawn 2 times a year.That being said I try to talk people out of it for the more organic method

LawnMoore
07-29-2010, 06:50 AM
The first experience i had with this, was at my little sisters elementary beauty pageant, me and my friend decided to ditch the pageant and go swing and slide.

Needless to say, after we were done playing army ranger in the playground we ventured back to the pageant where we began getting these o.O looks.. i turned to my friend who i could see now in the lunchroom light and saw we had recieved an unfortunate race change, needless to say we were pitch black!

yep thats my insight and outlook on it.