PDA

View Full Version : emergency help needed with tree half underwater

UnitedEnvironment.com
06-02-2008, 09:09 PM
ok, tree came down in my backyard and fell half into the lake, tree itself was about an 80 footer. thus far i jumped in the water and very carefully cut all the extending branches, (except one which was completely underwater), now i have the trunk, now heres the issue, there is a good 10 ft of the trunk that is halfway under water, meaning that the tree is laying down, and half the trunk is above, the other half under, the rest i can dice up with the chainsaw, but this 10 feet i cant without getting the chainsaw drenched, or at least the blade which i assume would not be a very good thing for the saw. i cant just cut the section free because it would weight a ton, and i have no access point to get a vehicle back there to tow it out. what in the #### do i possibly due?

really need some help on this one, trees were never really my thing, but this one takes the cake.

on a plus note, it landed directly, inches to the right of my boat dock, so no damage was done to the property whatsoever. and if i was to call in a tree guy, what do you think one would charge for that job?

probably gonna do stick with it myself, but just in case ya know

Little's
06-02-2008, 09:32 PM
I guess leaving it is not an option? It would make great bass cover!
Maybe you can go to walmart and pick up a winch ( I have seen them for about 60-70$. Attach it to a truck and winch it out. You may not be able to winch the whole thing out at once, but maybe you can winch out a foot or two at a time and cut it off as you are able to. A tree guy would charge maybe 300-600 depending. Maybe even tie a chain to it and pull it out with a truck.
Good luck.

Steve
06-03-2008, 02:18 AM
Hi Anthony,

Nice to see you on here, maybe you can give everyone an update on your movies!

Can you also possibly which it up or out by attaching the winch to another tree?

Do you have any pictures of this?

UnitedEnvironment.com
06-03-2008, 04:16 PM
the winch is not an option because there is no where to harness it. today i made a lot of progress, i actually cut off all of the above ground section to lessen the weight, then cut it off from the rest, that would have worked great, the weight was moveable in the water at least. however there is another thick branch attached that basically must have stabbed into the sand and practically rooted itself in. its almost acting like an anchor to the rest of the piece. so i rested my brain and moved on for now, got 75% of the tree cut up and out of the water, just gotta chop up the actual base and roots now and get that piece out of the water, one more day of chopping, then a day of disposing of the debris i piled up

Steve
06-03-2008, 04:54 PM
WOW! It's hard to picture it in my head but it sounds like an interesting situation.

Keep us posted on how it goes.

gotta_mow
06-03-2008, 05:15 PM
If the part in the water is floating, use your boat to drag it over to the boat dock. Hook it to a truck and drag it up the ramp.

Or drag it over in front of your neighbors boat dock and break out the beers.

Ben

quickcleanlawn
06-03-2008, 05:59 PM
Quote[/b] (UnitedEnvironment.com @ June 02 2008,10:09)]ok, tree came down in my backyard and fell half into the lake, *tree itself was about an 80 footer. *thus far i jumped in the water and very carefully cut all the extending branches, (except one which was completely underwater), *now i have the trunk, now heres the issue, there is a good 10 ft of the trunk that is halfway under water, meaning that the tree is laying down, and half the trunk is above, the other half under, *the rest i can dice up with the chainsaw, but this 10 feet i cant without getting the chainsaw drenched, or at least the blade which i assume would not be a very good thing for the saw. *i cant just cut the section free because it would weight a ton, and i have no access point to get a vehicle back there to tow it out. *what in the #### do i possibly due?

really need some help on this one, *trees were never really my thing, but this one takes the cake. *

on a plus note, it landed directly, inches to the right of my boat dock, so no damage was done to the property whatsoever. *and if i was to call in a tree guy, what do you think one would charge for that job?

probably gonna do stick with it myself, but just in case ya know
how did the tree fall, in a bad storm?
don't know much about your situation, but if you were a victom of a tornado, you maybe able to get some goverment asistance to remove it .
did you take any pics?

musician/lawnman
06-03-2008, 08:36 PM
If it's underwater, I don't know how thick it is but you may need to just handsaw it, Have you though about that at all?
At least to free it up & get it moved over near the shore. A rusty hand saw is alot cheaper & easier to deal with than a rusty chainsaw. Though I suppose much like the mud trucks the rednecks run down here.... If you found a way to put a snorkle on the air intake of the chainsaw as long as it doesn't shut off (getting water in the exaust side) I would probably still cut underwater...?

StealthDumpTrucks
06-08-2008, 08:44 AM
...here's your chance to make a raft. Do you have any old Wilson soccer balls?

patphish123
06-09-2008, 07:21 PM
use a bobcat or a dingo

UnitedEnvironment.com
06-10-2008, 10:16 PM
well we got it out. took some serious effort, my necks been killing me since but its out, just gotta chop up the remaining pieces and it will be done. thanks for all the ideas, i wish i had put some pics up so that everyone could see how bad it really was. one piece that was under water we did wind up sawing thru by hand, took forever.