PDA

View Full Version : How big is the market for fire pits?

Steve
10-25-2007, 07:05 PM
How big is the market for fire pits? Have you ever been asked to make one?

They seem like a really nice addition to a yard.

http://www.sybertlandscaping.com/wpe12843.jpg

pmblair
10-26-2007, 02:11 AM
I think you could probably sell them to a few high end customers. I know when I can afford one (and get into a house that has better land attributes) I will want one.

Steve
10-26-2007, 03:04 AM
So often we see house flippers that basically do the work on the inside of a house. Have you ever seen much in the way of house flippers that redo the outside like doing such projects?

If not, why do you think that is the case?

SerranoLandscaping
11-16-2007, 01:14 AM
Easy stuff to do. I did 3 last year with my buddy. We charged between $1000 to $2,500 but we did ours with real stone and blue stone caps. One we did was electric start no matches needed. It sucks I dont have pictures but I could always go back and take some pics.

They add a nice touch to the back yard but only higher end home will go for this luxury piece.

Steve
11-16-2007, 09:02 AM
I'd love to see the pics.

What kind of a profit margin should a lawn care business owner shoot for when bidding such a job?

11-16-2007, 10:09 AM
Just check w/ the local fire department to see what the distance from structure requirement is. In my town it is 50ft

Steve
11-16-2007, 11:48 AM
Certain towns seem to have ordinances that ban open burning. Does this consist of open burning?

11-16-2007, 10:11 PM
Well im an emt on my towns volunteer fire dept and if you burn w/ out a permit we show up w/ the big red trucks to put it out. You can get a season long burn permit for fire pits but cant burn construction debris.

Steve
11-17-2007, 06:46 AM
Interesting!

Does it make any difference if you are burning wood in the fire pit vs. natural gas?

SerranoLandscaping
11-17-2007, 09:01 AM
Quote[/b] (Team Gopher @ Nov. 16 2007,9:02)]I'd love to see the pics.

What kind of a profit margin should a lawn care business owner shoot for when bidding such a job?
Bidding jobs like this you have to know how much materials you will need. And how long it will take you.

Square foot of stone.
How much sand
How much cement
Prices on diff stones
Prices on other stones around the pit.

Then after we added all the material then we added another $200 on top for labor per man.

It usually takes us 2 to 3 days to finish a job. Very simple work if you know how to work with stone. O have experience in stone masonry.

S.P.Martin Lawn Care
11-17-2007, 11:58 AM
I've been thinking the same thing after spotting a project in one of the home magazines. I plan to build one on the MN farm from limestone blocks salvaged from the old barn foundation.

As mentioned above, its a good idea to make sure the fire department is happy with the placement, size, and construction of the fire pit. After that, I would think its the homeowner's problem if they burn something they shouldn't.

11-17-2007, 09:44 PM
you can burn fire wood, they are worried about wood w /lead paint or hazardous waste getting airborn

realhuntin
12-06-2007, 02:06 PM
The Market is there for the aggesive business person.

We have done a few pits and as long as you comply with the building code AHJ (local authoriy having juristiction) you should have no problems.

With Hardscape projects Time (labor hours are the most cost)
A fire pit should only take 2 men 8 hours to complete, any longer and you might want to rethink this venture. (if this is a motarless project).

Material need to build a nice comfortable sized pit:
16 face feet of stone= 48 total stones for two layers
approx 100 lbs of base material (we use limestone slag or run off)
approx 100 lbs of paver sand (fine)
approx 50 lbs of lava rock
caps are optional but make for a nicely finished job.

No Equipment required for an exisiting patio just wanting to add the pit, just a some hand tools.

As a rule dont go there bidding $8 per sq ft on any hardscape job. The going rate is between $18 and $24 per sq ft. and this depends on how much tear out you need to do. DONT LOWBALL with the trunck slammers @ $8 or $10 per sq ft.

Good luck
Tim