PDA

View Full Version : Have you ever installed lighting?

Steve
07-27-2007, 12:01 AM
Have you ever been asked to install landscape lighting?

What if you knew your business could grow by 20 to 30%? Would you do it?

Company Helps Businesses Light Up the Night (http://www.hispanicbusiness.com/news/newsbyid.asp?id=71563&cat=Entrepreneur&more=%2Fentrepreneur%2F) - Mr. Gonzalez has now been partnering with Nightscaping for seven years and has seen his overall business increase 20 to 30 percent since he started working with the company.

"It's done very well for us. It's very lucrative . . . we're able to offer a broader variety of services."

Nightscaping, known as the grandfather of lighting companies, offers its products to contractors, architects, electricians, landscape designers, and homeowners. In addition, the company also continues to help its partners after the products have been sold.

Little's
07-27-2007, 12:13 PM
I have thought about it. I am sure I will end up doing a few in the future. I guess I will learn about it and see if it is something I might be interested in.

Steve
07-27-2007, 12:50 PM
Have you gotten requests for such work?

Little's
07-27-2007, 02:12 PM
Not yet, but it seems to be quite popular. I have done a few repairs on landscape lights.

S.P.Martin Lawn Care
07-27-2007, 07:31 PM
One caveat: Does it require an electrician's license, to either be there to supervise or sign off on the work?

Best to check with local or county building codes enforcement to make sure you don't get into a bind by performing work that requires an electrician's license.

tiedeman
07-31-2007, 11:26 PM
I have thought about it many times, like even with Christmas lights, but I am always worried about a fire happening because of my electrical error

Steve
08-01-2007, 07:50 AM
Here is another article on the topic. I think it is quite interesting to see what kind of percentage these companies are making on lighting.

Landscaping jobs change with seasons (http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070731/BUSINESS/707310334/-1/LOCAL17) - The company previously removed snow and leaves during the off- season. But Michael's signed on with Christmas Decor "after going through a couple of transmissions and an engine plowing snow, and after a year of not really having a lot of snowfall to keep everyone employed," he said.
Decorating now is about 15 percent of Michael's revenue, Maloy said. Christmas Decor hopes to add 12 to 15 franchises in Indiana, said Brandon Stephens, Christmas Decor's director of marketing. Indiana currently has five locations.

tiedeman
08-10-2007, 11:24 PM
I personally have sometimes seen it higher, around 20 to 30% of a lawn care companys revenue.

11-16-2007, 10:27 AM
I have done a few jobs most recent. I did some cool deck lighting and some lighting under a mahogany (sp?) bar on their deck. Uplitting on some trees and lighting around their pool. They entertain alot so it was good for outside. Instal is faster than irrigaton and very profitable. The other profit center is to come back for bulb replacements fixing wire breaks from chipmunks. John deere landscape stores have design classes for lighting. You can get a demo bag w battery and some lights. I would go out to their home towards evening and set up different lights to actually show them what it would look like. If they can see it and feel good about it then they would be able to justify the expense. Vista and kitchler were what i used with a tri tap treansformer. Dont use cheap lights! An added sales tactic is the lighting is auto and added light deters criminals, if someone falls on an unlit walk the homeowner could face some liability. Intall is easy but you have to design it right. If you have to much voltage drop you will burn out lights or pop breakers. One little thing that could save you money is putting a clause in your contract. If the circuit you put the lights on cant handle the load the electrical upgrade would fall on the homeowner at an additional cost. This way if their isnt enough juice and doesnt work right and needs a dedicated circuit, it wont come out of your pocket. If you double retail cost of all parts including wire you can make some good ching. Add extra for going under walkways, drilling decks. Because it is low voltage after a plug in transformer with no movement of solonoids we dont need an electrician in NH. Tech a low volt solonoid on an irrigation valve needs a electrical license because it is a switch but it is not enforced,try to get an electrician to get muddy. The irrigation association blew a fuse when a renegade buiolding inspector shut down an irrigation job a few years ago.

Steve
11-16-2007, 11:53 AM
Quote[/b] ]John deere landscape stores have design classes for lighting. You can get a demo bag w battery and some lights. I would go out to their home towards evening and set up different lights to actually show them what it would look like.

This is an awesome way to display and make the sale! Could you show us any pictures of what is included in such a sales presentation kit ?

11-16-2007, 10:09 PM
You could probably make one yourself. The bag was like a small hockey bad it says Vista lighting on the side you could probably get it from their website. It had a 12 volt motorcycle battery w/ plug in charger. It had irrigation flags for marking out where you would put the lights. I had to purchase some lights w/ stakes. I had an uplight for trees and shrubs, a decklight, a down light for paths and steps. When i would do home shows i would set up my lights on a timer.

Steve
11-17-2007, 06:40 AM
This is a great idea. So I am guessing you tell the customer you will come back at night and set up a light display to show how everything would look?

How many lights would you suggest you have in your back for such displays? Any suggestions on the type of battery you should use? How long should this take you and how long should your presentation last?

http://chinese-school.netfirms.com/reviews/house2.jpg

11-17-2007, 09:52 PM
l ended up just putting a few lights and the battery in the diamond plate tool box on my truck. I have my measuring wheel and irrigation flags in there for estimates.

You could email vista they may have a picture or john deere landscapes that was the dealer for vista where i got mine

I will see if i can find my bag, but need instruction on how to post pics

Steve
11-18-2007, 01:13 PM
Quote[/b] ] I will see if i can find my bag, but need instruction on how to post pics

Click on the add reply button. Then below where you type your text you will see a browse button.

That is where you choose what to attach.