PDA

View Full Version : Design Software

JMM0254
02-21-2007, 10:41 AM
I am looking for a good landscape design software (cad program) that allows for everything needed for design and printing, that will run on XP and a laptop. There are so many out there.

Just wondering what you all may use, cost, simplicity, available options, etc. Thanks

tiedeman
02-21-2007, 11:59 AM
here are a couple

http://www.prolandscape.com/

http://www.gardengraphics.com/

The Garden Graphics (Dynascape) is probably your top of the line. *It's not cheap though, close to around $2000 if I remember correctly

NickN
02-27-2007, 07:49 AM
Honestly,you can do what you want with a cheap program called Punch MasterLandscape,and a little help from Photoshop or Paint Shop Pro.

Steve
02-27-2007, 08:15 AM
Nick, that looks very nice.

How often do your graphic designs help you win project bids?

JMM0254
02-27-2007, 02:00 PM
Quote[/b] (NickN @ Feb. 27 2007,7:49)]Honestly,you can do what you want with a cheap program called Punch MasterLandscape,and a little help from Photoshop or Paint Shop Pro.
Thanks, I bought the Punch! Master Landscapr Pro off Ebay yesterday, latest version, about $25.00, new. Saved some bucks. I'll see how it works, but it did seem like it will do what I need. Appreciate your input! Joe.

Steve
02-27-2007, 08:46 PM
Could you show us some of your designs too? http://www.gophergraphics.com/forum/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

NickN
02-28-2007, 08:18 AM
I close around 80% when using the design software.When a potential customer can "see" what their landscape can look like,it really makes a difference.

Steve
02-28-2007, 08:25 AM
How long does it take normally to perform these designs?

NickN
02-28-2007, 08:42 AM
It took around 6 hours when I started,but I can do a front design like this in about 1 hour now.What takes time is editing the digital photo and preparing it for importing.Once that's done,it's just a matter of laying out the home and placing the plants.
It all starts at the customer home.The home needs to be measured,so that when the digital image of the home is placed in the design,everything will be to scale.The software automatically shows the designer the length of the imported photo.Then you simply adjust the length and height to match your measurements.Length is most important though.This is where you'll place you plants,so you need to know how wide and tall your plants will be at maturity.
Design software is not an easy way out.One still needs to know their plants in order for the install to look good ten years from now.

NickN
02-28-2007, 08:50 AM
Here's an after shot of the install.We did that one in Feb of 06.
We ended up adding a walkway with another bed and then the customer had us landscape the back of the home as well.
The Herbert azaleas are just starting to bloom here.

Steve
02-28-2007, 09:33 PM
Oh WOW!

So with this picture we are looking at the final design based on that first drawing you posted?

That is awesome!

Do you have any more after pictures of that project to share with us?

NickN
03-01-2007, 08:30 AM
SInce this was installed during winter,most of the photos are dark,and the plants don't look there best.
This photo was taken on the same day as the other.The Spirea are starting to leaf out and the Fashion Azaleas are starting to bloom as well.There are more Herbert Azaleas beyond the porch,but they don't show up in this photo.

NickN
03-01-2007, 08:33 AM
Here's a pic of the install taking place.It actually snowed on us that morning.You can see what was there to begin with.

NickN
03-01-2007, 08:35 AM
This was taken the afternoon of the install.You can see,the plants don't look there best.The Herbert Azaleas are considered semi-evergreen,so in the winter,they lose most of their leaves.

tiedeman
03-02-2007, 11:56 AM
looks great!!!

Steve
03-02-2007, 12:24 PM
Fantastic!