PDA

View Full Version : Winter = Time to study?

Steve
01-18-2007, 10:07 AM
It's neat to see what others are doing over the winter. This lco spent his time learning how to install hardscapes.

Have you ever considered this?

Some taking advantage of mild winter by getting out and about, having fun (http://www.newarkadvocate.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070117/NEWS01/701170311/1002) - The recent mild winter weather allowed Michael Newland to hit the books instead of taking on snow piles with his plow.

Like many businesses that depend on plowing in the winter, the Heath resident's lawn care business is taking another approach this season.

Through the training received at the Career and Technology Education Centers of Licking County, Newland said he is able to do more hardscape work, such as installing fences and porches.
With the hardscape training, Newland will be able to work throughout the winter despite the lack of snow, as will Drew Ward.

gatewayuser
01-18-2007, 09:51 PM
Thats what I do also. I read up on new laws, take college and other industry courses, get certifications and work on making every thing run smoother for the next year. One year I took around 20 different courses over the winter and one in business management also. One other good thing when you take courses during the winter you have a ton of time to devote to studying so I was able to get all A's and B's.
Last winter I went to college to be an EMT for the volunteer department that I have been with since 01 as a fire cadet. I took a fire course every Saturday in June and July which was harsh but I got A's. Next winter I will be starting a business degree and once I take my core part of college I will have 3 degrees. One in Medical, horticulture and business.

Steve
01-19-2007, 01:09 AM
That is awesome! Do you promote that you are a volunteer in your town in your marketing material?

I have seen that used successfully before.

gatewayuser
01-19-2007, 10:41 AM
No I don't do it for the glory.
However I have gotten many jobs from being recommended by people at the FD. Also I have taken customers to the hospital before and that really helps the relationship between the customer and myself. When I did my squad time at a large FD the Lt. there wanted me to take care of his lawn. Well it turned into getting 7 additional clients in a matter of a few weeks. I just got a new job from him a few days ago. And another call from a customer that he sent me saying that she has other people in her subdivison that want work done by me. Great work= Happy Clients which = More Jobs.
Also I cost about double-triple the price as chem lawn but I do top notch work.

Steve
01-19-2007, 11:42 AM
You know that would make for a great story. Would it be possible you could put together some video of you riding on your squad and then of you working at your company? I think it could inspire others to get involved in the emergency volunteer services and we could also talk about how it has helped your business as well. We could put this in a future GopherHaul episode.

gatewayuser
01-19-2007, 01:01 PM
I could do pictures I don't have a video camera.

Steve
01-19-2007, 01:18 PM
Yea that would be really interesting! Could you take us on a tour of both your rescue station and your business? Maybe show us some of the rescue vehicles you ride on and the equipment on them and then show your business vehicles and equipment? That would be amazing to see!