PDA

View Full Version : lawn install

southernslang
11-16-2006, 09:57 AM
i had a customer ask me about lawn install for his property thathe is rebuilding after the huricane.
would it be ok to do it this late in year?our tempetures flutuate between 70- 55 degressand it usurally stay like that all winter .
oh yea the grass is st.augistine

tiedeman
11-16-2006, 11:15 AM
It really depends on warm season grass and the temps that it need. I am not that familiar with warm season grass, but I am guessing that it at least needs to be in the 80's for good establishment.

Now with cool season grass you can get it going great in 55-70 weather. Usually 70 degree weather is the best.

southernslang
11-16-2006, 03:10 PM
well st aug. is definetly a warm season grassits just our climate is so unpredictable.like this morning was aroubd 55 degrees but know 200 pm its around 73
have you ever heard of cenipeede?

tiedeman
11-16-2006, 06:05 PM
Centipede...yes. If I remember correctly it is one of the most cold tolerant warm season grasses

southernslang
11-16-2006, 10:46 PM
so it would most likely be the best grass for this time of year .
now, should i convince the customer to install a sprinkler sytem ,for our hot summers?i mean will it survive our summers without proper watering ?

tiedeman
11-16-2006, 11:37 PM
Well, like I said I not that familiar with your climate down there. I do know a lot of times guys seed with cool season grasses down there for the winter months for the lawn is constant green year round.

I personally feel if someone is going to spend a lot of money on seeding, hydroseeding, sod installation, etc. that they should have an irrigation system installed

NickN
11-17-2006, 10:30 AM
With warm season grasses,you want to wait until the grass can establish a good root system.Nightime temps in the mid 60's to 70's is a good time.
St Augustine has good drought tolerance,as does Centipede.Neither actually "need" constant irrigation.However,if they want a truly nice lawn and a better chance at controlling weeds,an irrigation system is a plus.If the lawn is small,they can get away with running sprinklers when needed.
Things to note:
Centipede-Has a light green color,naturally.You won't get a deep green with this grass.It runs horizontal more than vertical in growth.Need less mowing,but produces unsightly seedheads,so mowing weekly keeps it looking nice.Is susceptible to damage from 2,4-D (found in weed & feed type ferts)Only requires 1lb of Nitrogen per 1000 sq ft PER YEAR.Don't over fertilize.Can be established by seeding,sprigging,or sodding.
St,Augustine-Creates a thick stand of grass.Creates more of a thatch problem than Cent. or Bermuda.Is susceptible to damage from 2,4-D,as is Centipede.Hard freeze or ice can kill St Augustine.Loves hot,humid days.Can easily be established with sprigs or sod.Can't be seeded.

southernslang
11-18-2006, 10:36 PM
great, thanks for all the info.
information is knoledge, and knoledge is power. http://www.gophergraphics.com/forum/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/wow.gif