PDA

View Full Version : New,New,New

VPS Lawn Care
06-14-2008, 10:52 AM
Well for the last 25 years i have only worked for 3 co, and did real well at all, but hated all! one of them i worked at for 14 years. all about it was great, money, benefits, but hated what i did. sold cars a few years, did well, hated. so started a handy man co. it was ok but still not what i felt i would really want to keep doing. then found u guys on you-tube and thought i like yard work, in fact when i was 18 i had a lco for 2 years part time, did ok had 3 com accts, a hotel, the UAW hall, And a resturant, crazy how easy i remember they were to get, and had about six homes i did, all in 1 day on sat's. was making aprox 1800 amonth on the side, then just walked away, crazy i know.well it took seeing and and reading your forum to realize i knew my calling all those years ago but was blinded .Thanks, dont have but 3 accts so far and useing my push mower from the house, it's tuff. got the accts from accts i have as a handyman, it seems it is not as easy as i remembered getting accts. looking to get new equipment but dont want to put out the money if i cant get something going, . any ideas? thanks! p.s. it would be great for a banner

gotta_mow
06-14-2008, 11:34 AM
Fromone noobie to another.....WELCOME. Using a pushmower has some benefits, I'm sweating away some extra pounds. (I keep telling myself that).

My advice Craigslist, business cards, website, and get some t shirts.

Ben

VPS Lawn Care
06-14-2008, 12:03 PM
Thanks for the response. I have the cards,got the tee shirts & hats from vista print, not bad but tee's are real thin material, hat's real good though. have one ad in the pennysaver, and give cards out to all i meet. got my eye on a couple ztr's prob, gunna come off the cash and get one this week or next, nice cub cadet 22hp 50", 1st yard i got is a half ac on a lake and sheesh the push mower just wont do it well. thanks again Sherman http://www.gophergraphics.com/forum/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/thankyou.gif

Steve
06-14-2008, 03:55 PM
Hi Sherman,

Welcome to our forum.

I loved reading your story. The thing I was wondering, when you compare how you feel now from from working in the corporate world to working for yourself, what has changed in your life? How do you feel different?

For others out there still on the fence about making the jump, can you describe how you knew this was for you?

Little's
06-15-2008, 12:09 AM
Hi Sherman,
I recommend just going through a decent neighborhood or 2 and knock on doors, talking to as many people as you can. Worked wonders for me. A bit of advice I found when doing this is to hand the person the card as soon as they open the door, before they have a chance to say "no thanks". Every time they will take your card and look at it, then look at you and listen to what you have to say. If you introduce yourself first, then try handing them the card, they usually say "no thanks".
If no one answers, just leave your card in the crack or somewhere close.
Good luck.

VPS Lawn Care
06-16-2008, 09:48 PM
Quote[/b] (Team Gopher @ June 14 2008,3:55)]Hi Sherman,

Welcome to our forum.

I loved reading your story. The thing I was wondering, when you compare how you feel now from from working in the corporate world to working for yourself, what has changed in your life? How do you feel different?

For others out there still on the fence about making the jump, can you describe how you knew this was for you?
thank you for the welcome.
Well i have to say it is a great deal diffrent. hmmm... i guess the best way to describe it is, it's like being re-born, now dont miss understand me when i say that, though i have heard many people say things like its not rocket science and stuff like that. I think i have to say i dis-agree in the sense that anything you do can be like rocket science if you hate what you are doing like i did for so many years. So i would have to say again Steve its like being re-born. I am getting to know my family all over again, its great!! http://www.gophergraphics.com/forum/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif

VPS Lawn Care
06-16-2008, 09:52 PM
Quote[/b] (Little's @ June 15 2008,12:09)]Hi Sherman,
I recommend just going through a decent neighborhood or 2 and knock on doors, talking to as many people as you can. Worked wonders for me. A bit of advice I found when doing this is to hand the person the card as soon as they open the door, before they have a chance to say "no thanks". Every time they will take your card and look at it, then look at you and listen to what you have to say. If you introduce yourself first, then try handing them the card, they usually say "no thanks".
If no one answers, just leave your card in the crack or somewhere close.
Good luck.
Thanx Littles for your advice, strted that today, and would ya know it true so true, got the first 2 people i talked 2, both next door to each other, signed for the next 5 months and said will talk then about making perm, if all works out, so i say to you all http://www.gophergraphics.com/forum/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/yourock.gif

Little's
06-17-2008, 01:31 AM
Nice to hear your getting customers so quick now. From here on out they will just keep coming. Pretty soon you will have to start turning them down!

VPS Lawn Care
06-17-2008, 10:31 AM
I hope so, thanks