PDA

View Full Version : Hi again

Lawn Enforcement
06-09-2008, 05:15 AM
Hi again,

I submitted a post almost a year ago saying hi but haven't been back since (too busy). I started my business last July and ended the season with 7 customers. I kept it going with some snow plowing (which in Utah was awesome last winter). This season I am now up to 25 accounts with several being commercial. I offer basic mowing, trimming, edging, packages and minor landscaping and sprinkler repair. I also do fertilization and yard cleanup. I have gotten most of my customers from a local online "classified" ad that is hosted by KSL 5 tv. I also receive a lot from word of mouth.

Alot of my customers signed up before the huge jumps in gas prices. Has anyone had luck raising their prices and by how much? I am bidding new customers higher though.

I am also having trouble with one customer. I bid his property and he signed up last year. This year he wants the same price but now wants me to not mow the back each week and instead wants me to spend the time trimming trees/bushes and cleaning up the yard. The back really needs mowed each week. Has anyone dealt with customers like this and is it worth just dropping him? if so how best do you drop some one like that when they are a really good payer and haven't had any past problems?

Thanks,
Jeromy
Lawn Enforcement Lawn Care LLC

StealthDumpTrucks
06-09-2008, 09:34 AM
...do what the problem customer asks cheerfully. He'll soon notice for himself that the back needs done often. Resistance is futile until you have proof and the owner is receptive to admitting it.

I had a mall account where we did the seasonal color plantings all over the place. The manager was female and new the first year, so she let me handle it with outstanding results. The second year she wanted her personal touch reflected in the flowers, she mistook her confidence for knowledge and good taste. She decided each flower should be a different color. I explained a uniform planting of the same color draws the eye and represents organization and professionalism. Nope, do it my way. Yes mam, it's done, now the beds look like puke but I'm waiting for you to notice.

One week she mentioned the beds didn't look as good with multicolors. I commented it makes me feel confused when I look at it. I was back to doing it my way the next time.

Steve
06-11-2008, 03:56 AM
Hi Jeromy,

Welcome back! Do you have your customers on any kind of contract?

Have you experimented at all with craigslist.com? I wonder how such a free site would compare with your other classified ad.

Lawn Enforcement
06-16-2008, 06:20 AM
All of my customers are under a service contract that just describes the service, amount, and payment details.

I haven't tried Craigs list at all. The KSL ad I use is a free ad posting in our area.