PDA

View Full Version : Introduction and mower question.

Steve
05-21-2008, 11:58 AM
This is a message sent to me from our new member Mike.

Quote[/b] ]Hi. Companys name is Lukacs property maintenance and development. I started in Langley BC and now i am based out of Merritt BC. I have a truck, trailer and equipment. Been at it for 7 years now but still learnin the climate changed when i moved. It went from rain to semi desert. I had to adapt fast. The irrigation industry was something i needed to learn quickly because every one has irrigation in Merritt. I still have lots to learn and the forum really helps. Got a question for you. What do you suggest for a walk behind that can handle wet grass with ease. The irrigation times are all set for the evenings. I have to cut the first couple of cuts wet. Thanks

Steve
05-21-2008, 11:59 AM
Hi Mike,

Welcome to our forum!

I hope someone can jump in here and make a mower suggestion for you.

What got you to start your lawn care business?

UniversityLandscapers
05-21-2008, 10:56 PM
Hi Mike,

Nice to see a fellow British Columbian on here. I'm mower shopping right now too, and I've asked around at my local shops for suggestions. What I've heard is that you either want to go Honda or Toro for 21" walkbehinds. If you're looking to bag all your grass, I'd look into the the Toro Hi-Vac, which is apparently the best bagger out there.

Steve
05-22-2008, 11:33 AM
Dave,

Will you be getting a residential or commercial grade mower?

UniversityLandscapers
05-23-2008, 03:07 AM
I ended up buying one today at Home Depot. Just went with a higher end residential since all the commercial models are a little pricey for where we're at right now

Steve
05-23-2008, 11:35 AM
Here is another message sent to me from Mike.

Quote[/b] ]Good question. It all just happened over a period of time. My parents have a 6 acre farm and i was in charge of the up keep had a push mower at first than a rider. the word got out that i wanted to cut lawns and the jobs started coming in. Not enough to quit my full time job yet. Kept that up until i couldnt do both or justify the full time job. Compared to running a business the full time job just didnt do it for me any more even though i was gettin 18 an hour for the full time job. The best thing that i think i did was not to take on too many jobs at once because i didnt want to hire anyone. Wanted to keep up the quality of the job high. When someone runs a business the owner usually cares about quality and the employees are not. Just there to get paid. Know what i mean? Still doin most of the jobs myself. If i need help my family is there to help. Have 3 walk behinds and a 42in husky that i use for snow also. Just drop the deck off and hook up the snow blade and away we go. I have a craftsman 6.5 and a snapper 5.5. They both dont work well in the wet stuff. I also found that if you keep the bag pressure washed of of the dust and clippings the mower works better. I have tried a toro before but didnt get a chance to in the wet grass. A nice machine though. Any more suggestions would be great. What do you think of the john deers(walk behinds). any experiences from others would be great. Thanks keep mowin

comanche
05-23-2008, 11:23 PM
Thanks steve think im doin it right. thanks for all your help everyone i appreciate it. Keep mowin. http://www.gophergraphics.com/forum/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/rock.gif

Little's
05-24-2008, 12:43 AM
I use the Snapper Hi-Vac, which is excellent for a walk behind. Incredible vacuum power and cuts wet grass with ease. If you are cutting wet grass, try to stay away from mulching blades, it just makes the wetness even worse and causes a lot of clogging, plugging up etc.

comanche
05-24-2008, 03:35 AM
Thanks for the tip. Funny just today was thinkin if i should get a mulch kit for the snapper

Steve
05-24-2008, 11:46 AM
Quote[/b] ]I use the Snapper Hi-Vac, which is excellent for a walk behind.

Brandon is that a consumer or commercial grade mower?

Do you have any idea how long that mower will last for?

comanche
05-25-2008, 11:11 PM
the snapper mower i started the company with ran for 3 years on the same motor. It was at the point last year that i replaced the motor. It probably had way over the recomended life hours on it when i inherited it. So the hours do mean something but if you keep up the servicing the machine should last you for more then the recomended life.

comanche
05-25-2008, 11:16 PM
the snapper wasnt self propell so i used it when i needed the craftsman to cool down the craftsman i use the most because it take little effort to control.

comanche
06-03-2008, 11:33 PM
anyone have a husky 21 inch push? might be able 2 get my hands on one.