PDA

View Full Version : Website (www.applelawns.com)

Apple Lawns
03-21-2008, 10:56 PM
hey guys let me know what you think of the website (betotally honest) I'll upload my flyer and business card designs tomorrow

http://www.gophergraphics.com/forum/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/thankyou.gif

justin_time
03-21-2008, 11:07 PM
I don't want to offend but your site needs alot of work

Here is what i had for your site

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d192/justinpitre/applelawns.jpg

Little's
03-21-2008, 11:47 PM
Rob, one of the most important things about having a website is you do not want any broken links. If I was a potential customer, and was visiting your website to decide if I wanted to hire you, and saw an unfinished site, I would get the impression that you would do the same on my yard.
What you want to do is create and finish a page BEFORE you add the link to it, then you will never have a link to a page that isnt there yet.
I think with some work it will be nice. Keep it up!

UniversityLandscapers
03-22-2008, 12:08 AM
Your layout has some width issues...the 'home' button on the navigation bar appears up with the title, and your weather icon (which I think is a cool idea) has text that appears on two lines next to it.

I like the overall design scheme, I think it just needs to be polished a little.

Steve
03-22-2008, 09:21 AM
Hi Rob,

I just checked out your site and it looks good. I guess you have been doing a bunch of work to it.

What will you be adding next to it?

http://www.applelawns.com

ritchiem
03-22-2008, 09:42 AM
Here we go...you asked for it...

1. Using free site builders such as www.freewebs.com is good, however they tend to have cross browser issues. Looks like this site was created using 800 x 600 and scaling was applied. But it is the scaling you are having issues with. When the user resizes his window your Navigation menu wraps up with your header. This will need to be addressed.

2. Your Navigation menu falls short of the mark. The white text and white background is a bad contrast. It even hurts the eyes to read. Try to either darken the text or put the text on a tinted background.

3. You are using different fonts throughout the website. You want to make sure your website is consistent and streamlined. Avoid using different fonts on each page.

4. Your contact form does not have any priority fields. Meaning that a user can forget to input their email or phone number and click submit and the form gets processed. Meaning that you can get their info but may not be able to contact them because they forgot to put their info in...but then they think you are blowing them off. Make sure that the email and phone number box has to be filled out in order to send the form.

5. No <meta> information on the site. Even though it is a website designed and hosted from a free service you should still be able to alter the HTML and insert some meta tags.

6. I like the fact you are using the personal approach in your "About Us" page...I simple hate the fact you didn't do a spell check on it. And to me that says a lot about your company.

Now that all being said...I love the Apple Lawns font and colors. And I like the direction you are trying to go with the pallet. But you have to be consistent in website design or you'll lose your audience.

Don't use my critique as a deterrence from design...use it as a stepping stone to improve your site.

ritchiem
03-22-2008, 09:44 AM
oh and I didn't vote on the site....but my answer would be;

I liked the direction you are going...but it needs a ton of work.

Apple Lawns
03-22-2008, 11:36 AM
Quote[/b] (justin_time @ Mar. 21 2008,11:07)]I don't want to offend but your site needs alot of work

huh. What browser are you using?

Apple Lawns
03-22-2008, 01:13 PM
Quote[/b] (ritchiem @ Mar. 22 2008,9:42)]Here we go...you asked for it...

1. Using free site builders such as www.freewebs.com is good, however they tend to have cross browser issues. Looks like this site was created using 800 x 600 and scaling was applied. But it is the scaling you are having issues with. When the user resizes his window your Navigation menu wraps up with your header. This will need to be addressed.

2. Your Navigation menu falls short of the mark. The white text and white background is a bad contrast. It even hurts the eyes to read. Try to either darken the text or put the text on a tinted background.

3. You are using different fonts throughout the website. You want to make sure your website is consistent and streamlined. Avoid using different fonts on each page.

4. Your contact form does not have any priority fields. Meaning that a user can forget to input their email or phone number and click submit and the form gets processed. Meaning that you can get their info but may not be able to contact them because they forgot to put their info in...but then they think you are blowing them off. Make sure that the email and phone number box has to be filled out in order to send the form.

5. No <meta> information on the site. Even though it is a website designed and hosted from a free service you should still be able to alter the HTML and insert some meta tags.

6. I like the fact you are using the personal approach in your "About Us" page...I simple hate the fact you didn't do a spell check on it. And to me that says a lot about your company.

Now that all being said...I love the Apple Lawns font and colors. And I like the direction you are trying to go with the pallet. But you have to be consistent in website design or you'll lose your audience.

Don't use my critique as a deterrence from design...use it as a stepping stone to improve your site.
Thats odd because I'm not using freewebs I pay for hosting. But I know what you mean because when I look at it on my computer, it looks fine, but when I look at it on my other computer, every thing wraps around differently.

Ill upload a new nav bar tab and let me know if thats better.

Do i need to use meta tags even though google uses google bot and that goes through and searches the pages for the keywords?

All Aspects Landscaping
03-22-2008, 01:25 PM
I cant find the website...

ritchiem
03-22-2008, 01:28 PM
well your page source is plastered with www.freewebs.com html

justin_time
03-22-2008, 09:38 PM
Quote[/b] (Apple Lawns @ Mar. 22 2008,11:36)]Quote[/b] (justin_time @ Mar. 21 2008,11:07)]I don't want to offend but your site needs alot of work

That's what I had when I opened your site.

I was using IE 7

Apple Lawns
03-22-2008, 09:40 PM
Quote[/b] (ritchiem @ Mar. 22 2008,1:28)]well your page source is plastered with www.freewebs.com html
Thats where I host the images, but the actual website it hosted at godaddy. Could that be a problem.

Apple Lawns
03-22-2008, 09:42 PM
Quote[/b] (justin_time @ Mar. 22 2008,9:38)]Quote[/b] (Apple Lawns @ Mar. 22 2008,11:36)]Quote[/b] (justin_time @ Mar. 21 2008,11:07)]I don't want to offend but your site needs alot of work

That's what I had when I opened your site.

I was using IE 7
Oh ok I use firefox, so I'll have to figure out what the it. Look at the site again I made some changes, I know none of the links work and there are water marks on the images, but I just want to see what it looks like. Im not done with it yet.

ritchiem
03-22-2008, 09:45 PM
Justin could have looked at your site the second you applied an update or moved files. I checked all browsers and you are showing up fine.

Looking forward to new updates.

ritchiem
03-22-2008, 09:47 PM
Quote[/b] (Apple Lawns @ Mar. 22 2008,9:40)]Quote[/b] (ritchiem @ Mar. 22 2008,1:28)]well your page source is plastered with www.freewebs.com html
Thats where I host the images, but the actual website it hosted at godaddy. Could that be a problem.
Not visually...it just makes a mess of your code. If you are paying for hosting why are you not hosting your own images?

Apple Lawns
03-22-2008, 09:50 PM
Quote[/b] (ritchiem @ Mar. 22 2008,9:47)]Quote[/b] (Apple Lawns @ Mar. 22 2008,9:40)]Quote[/b] (ritchiem @ Mar. 22 2008,1:28)]well your page source is plastered with www.freewebs.com html
Not visually...it just makes a mess of your code. If you are paying for hosting why are you not hosting your own images?
I really should. I just couldnt find out how to upload the images to godaddy. I understans how to upload the pages. But ill figure out the images.

justin_time
03-22-2008, 10:46 PM
Quote[/b] (Apple Lawns @ Mar. 22 2008,9:50)]Quote[/b] (ritchiem @ Mar. 22 2008,9:47)]Quote[/b] (Apple Lawns @ Mar. 22 2008,9:40)]Quote[/b] (ritchiem @ Mar. 22 2008,1:28)]well your page source is plastered with www.freewebs.com html
Not visually...it just makes a mess of your code. *If you are paying for hosting why are you not hosting your own images?
I really should. I just couldnt find out how to upload the images to godaddy. I understans how to upload the pages. But ill figure out the images.
if you know your FTP account.. well just use a program called Filezilla... less hard on the head... just click the file you want to upload on the folder on the hosting page and it's done. I usually upload my files right of way.. especially when i see I did a mistake.. correct it.. save it.. open filezilla.. connect to my site.. upload... done.. all within 2 minutes

musician/lawnman
03-23-2008, 07:39 AM
I think It's comming along well man, I do think you have entirely too many email accounts though,
Inquire, billing, support, guarantee, review@applelawns.com

Who's got the time to check em' all everyday?

I think the caption under the support@applelawns.com (if you had a problem with ourservices or need us to re-service your lawn...) kinda sends the message that this problem is common enough you need a separate inbox for it. I would nix it. Or have one big generic account that says something like "contactus@applelawns.com - If you have any questions for or comments please contact us here!"

That's just my take.

Apple Lawns
03-23-2008, 10:07 AM
Quote[/b] (musician/lawnman @ Mar. 23 2008,7:39)]I think It's comming along well man, I do think you have entirely too many email accounts though,
Inquire, billing, support, guarantee, review@applelawns.com

Who's got the time to check em' all everyday?

I think the caption under the support@applelawns.com (if you had a problem with ourservices or need us to re-service your lawn...) kinda sends the message that this problem is common enough you need a separate inbox for it. I would nix it. Or have one big generic account that says something like "contactus@applelawns.com - If you have any questions for or comments please contact us here!"

That's just my take.
Thanks, thats a good point. I'll fix that.

JODY84
04-05-2008, 10:22 PM
I like it! http://www.gophergraphics.com/forum/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/rock.gif

justin_time
04-06-2008, 10:40 PM
Looking good now

I like where it says all services will be performed today..

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d192/justinpitre/sunny.jpg

What other options do you have when your behind or rains ?