PDA

View Full Version : New to the place

bigpete
03-25-2008, 06:00 PM
Hi my name is Peter.

I will start by telling you how I started in the mowing business. I was in 3rd grade and my neighbor across the street asked me to mow there lawn. I was thrilled, I could not believe some one would give me a job. I have expanded over the years. I am now a freshmen in high school and have about 14 regular customers. I just bought myself a new riding lawn mower, and a 5'-8' trailer. I am trying to expand this year to pay for the new equipment. One thing I would like to say is for anyone thinking about getting in the mowing business, go for it. When you start, start where you feel comfortable. do not overload yourself with work. You want this to be a pleasurable career. When you have the equipment, the time, and the attitude, you should then take on more work.

I hope this helps. I am probably just writing for no reason, its just that I really liked when people gave me advice when I started.

Steve
03-25-2008, 06:13 PM
Hi Pete,

Welcome to our forum and thank you so much for your insight!

What are your plans for the future with your business? Do you see yourself expanding it? Would you like to get into other businesses in the future too?

lawnindustryconsultants.com
03-25-2008, 06:45 PM
Welcome to the site.

Anything ask us here at lawnindustryconsultants.com are here 24/7 to give advice.

bigpete
03-25-2008, 08:15 PM
Thanks for welcoming me.

I am really glad I found this website. Yes, I plan on expanding in the next year. I want to keep my business going till I go to college. After graduation I plan on farming, but may also do mowing part time.

Steve
03-26-2008, 09:06 AM
Pete,

How many of your friends run businesses or are you the only one in your area?

ritchiem
03-26-2008, 09:56 AM
Welcome Peter,

Yes this really is a great forum. You'll find so much information here. If you have any questions please ask...and thanks for sharing your story.

bigpete
03-26-2008, 10:57 AM
Quote[/b] (Team Gopher @ Mar. 26 2008,9:06)]Pete,

How many of your friends run businesses or are you the only one in your area?
I know there are a couple young mower men like me. I know I run the largest operation for my age in my area. Now of coarse there is the BTOs "big time operators" but I can underbid them on almost anything. None of my friends run mowing business, that probably because they just are to lazy! In my actual neighbor hood there are no young mower men except for me.

englishtree
01-21-2009, 10:06 AM
My name is Nate, I just joined this month. I am 27 years old and live in western PA , U.S. Well for four years I worked for a nationwide tree industry and recently got laid off for the first time. But that doesn't bother me the most, After my second year with the company I started my own Tree Business and was working both jobs. Working 7 days a week was bothering me. About last year people started to ask me if I would mow there lawn, I was so busy doing tree work I only could do a hand full of customers. Now that I'm laid off I'm determined to reach higher goals.

Steve
01-22-2009, 03:34 AM
Hi Nate,

Welcome to our forum!

What are some of your plans where you will be taking your business?

How did you enjoy tree work?

How did you market your services?

englishtree
01-27-2009, 02:33 PM
steve thanks the tree work is great and the main income of my business. At first I didn't pay any advertising or even have business cards, I got most of my jobs through a friend that is a landscaper and he gave me all the work.
The mouth spreads very quicly and is the best advertising. People love to talk and the best way to keep them talking is to perform the best service wether it's a 10.00 job or a thousand dollar job. My second year I put some money into advertising. I made a costly mistake on targeting the wrong customers, Everyone that called me from that ad wanted the lowest price possible. It wasted my time , money , and energy. This upcomming year I plan on keeping it simple. thanks again

Steve
01-27-2009, 02:36 PM
My second year I put some money into advertising. I made a costly mistake on targeting the wrong customers, Everyone that called me from that ad wanted the lowest price possible.

Very Fascinating!

What kind of advertising was this? How did you target them?

What do you feel you learned from that?

englishtree
01-28-2009, 11:02 PM
See I really didn't target the costomers I targeted the lowest Advertisement
in my budget, If anyone is good at what they do the quality of the service will sell itself and people will find out over time. It was a penny pincher magizine booklet that was free to the public. I would also like to ask you a question about the forum I read About 'low balling' Personally I don't believe in this method going around door to door and telling them I'm better than the next person. For one A couple of times I have had to use a competitors to help me will my jobs (tree Jobs) like borrow there crane etc... and living in a smaller town will maybe hurt you eventually. I just believe if your better than them people will find out. what you think thanks...

Steve
01-28-2009, 11:35 PM
I think you are right. Using synergy you and the lawn care company both benefit.