PDA

View Full Version : 15 year old need your help

manandamower
03-19-2008, 04:50 PM
Hey every body, My names rob b. Im 15 and I own AppleLawns. I need someone to print me some door hangers or postcards since I don't rally have any start up money. I'm pretty good at designing websites (check out applelawns.com keeping in mind its no where near done and a lot of the links are broken) and I could design you a website if you could print me some door hangers or postcars ( or envelopes) Also if anyone has any ideas on how to market this because I want to run a real business (website, invoices, contracts etc.) and I don't know if people are going to feel alright with having a 15 year old work on their lawn. Any thing is appreciated and if someone, could somehow get me some free stuff for now, I'd love to pay you back as soon as I get the money for it.

Thanks,
Rob B.

justin_time
03-19-2008, 06:39 PM
Quote[/b] (manandamower @ Mar. 19 2008,3:50)]Hey every body, My names rob b. Im 15 and I own AppleLawns. I need someone to print me some door hangers or postcards since I don't rally have any start up money. I'm pretty good at designing websites (check out applelawns.com keeping in mind its no where near done and a lot of the links are broken) and I could design you a website if you could print me some door hangers or postcars ( or envelopes) *Also if anyone has any ideas on how to market this because I want to run a real business (website, invoices, contracts etc.) and I don't know if people are going to feel alright with having a 15 year old work on their lawn. Any thing is appreciated and if someone, could somehow get me some free stuff for now, I'd love to pay you back as soon as I get the money for it.

Thanks,
Rob B.
Hi Rob,

Welcome to the forum. Are you already registered as a business ? Maybe you should start there before getting flyers out there. I was 20 yrs old when I started my business and they don't mind who how old you are.. as long as you can get the job done.. and get the job done right.

Anyways, I looked at your website and you need some major help with it. I see too many coupons and I got confused from what your offering and all these few things.

I am willing to help you out, here is an example of my flyer

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d192/justinpitre/HalfPageAdd.jpg

manandamower
03-19-2008, 06:43 PM
No im not actually registered as a business. How would I go about doing that and can I do it at 15 or would I have to have someone older do it.

Thanks for the input on the website. Ill make some changes and if you could take a look at it again that be great. What would you like to see different?

justin_time
03-19-2008, 08:07 PM
Quote[/b] (manandamower @ Mar. 19 2008,5:43)]No im not actually registered as a business. How would I go about doing that and can I do it at 15 or would I have to have someone older do it.

Thanks for the input on the website. Ill make some changes and if you could take a look at it again that be great. What would you like to see different?
Your gonna have to find your local business centre and have to go register your name with them. I'm pretty sure you can still register a business even if your 15, as long you have credit card.

For the website, if you need help, you can let me know, I am a college graduate from Web design so yeah I can help you out for sure.

You can visit my website for examples

Just in Time Yard Services (http://www.jitys.ca)

All Aspects Landscaping
03-19-2008, 08:23 PM
hey rob... good luck buddy... for more on registering your business, start here:

Mo. Business Registrations. (http://www.sos.mo.gov/business/corporations/startBusiness.asp)

When I started, I hit the pavement with good old staples copied flyers... thats your best way to go... should be less than $100 for 1000 copies.

If you need some more advice you can call me anytime 609.929.9037 or email me at allaspects@mac.com

Ill turn you into a business owner and not a lawn cutter...lol

LGYardService
03-19-2008, 09:41 PM
Hi Rob,

First, i'd like to introduce myself. My name is Luke and I am ALSO 15 years old. Glad to have another person my age on the forum! I own and operate LG Yard Services. We have been in business for 2 years officially and i'm going on my 3rd spring/summer.

Alot of people act like getting into the lawn care business is hard. Well, I'm gonna tell ya that if you really want to start a good business and sucessfully run a company, have a great attitude toward the business, and also be smart in terms of marketing and buiness skills, it NOT that hard. http://www.gophergraphics.com/forum/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

You should tell us a little more about your background and how your business is going so far. How long have you been in the business? Do you have any equipment or are you just starting? What do you want to get out of this business and industry? Do you have any current customers or marketing going on?

PLease tell us all about you and keep us posted on! You can really gain ALOT of valuable info from this site and also make some great friends that are in the same business. Good luck!

Luke
LG Yard Services http://www.gophergraphics.com/forum/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif

F3Nelson
03-19-2008, 11:50 PM
What is detaching?

Your age wont matter, as long as you provide a quality product with good customer service, and take care of any complaints.

GL youngster

All Aspects Landscaping
03-20-2008, 12:00 AM
that sucks...lol http://www.gophergraphics.com/forum/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/mad.gif

manandamower
03-20-2008, 12:06 AM
what sucks, the website?

All Aspects Landscaping
03-20-2008, 01:37 AM
no no no man... justin had a misprint in his flyer... i havent check out your site yet, but honestly where you are at, its probably more important to hit the street then try to drum anything up thru the website... work on that this summer and fall, so next spring its 100 percent. Next nice sat, spend the day walking around the neighborhood. Dont be afraid to approach somebody. There is a great quote in a movie, Boiler Room, goes something like this : In every conversation, there is a sale made.. Im selling you on why you need it, or your selling me on why you dont need it. (not verbatim, but you get the point) You need to be a salesman. Its a great lesson... for business and in life. This will help you later in life, when you turn 21 and hit the bar scene... when that hot girl gives you the eyes, youll be man enough to give it a shot... Like I said before, you need any help, give me a call or email me directly.
Good luck buddy.

Steve
03-20-2008, 09:06 AM
Hi Rob,

Welcome to our forum!

Another thing you could consider is getting some business cards printed up. You should be able to do that for really cheap! Then hand them out to everyone you know.

You should also be able to print up some flyers on your computer and get the word out to your local neighbors. Anyone within walking distance should know they can contact you for lawn care.

Did you get a myspace page up yet for your business? I bet you have a lot of friends in school who's parents would hire you.

And you can put ads on craigslist.com for free to promote your lawn care business.

Apple Lawns
03-20-2008, 09:45 AM
Quote[/b] (Team Gopher @ Mar. 20 2008,8:06)]Hi Rob,

Welcome to our forum!

Another thing you could consider is getting some business cards printed up. You should be able to do that for really cheap! Then hand them out to everyone you know.

You should also be able to print up some flyers on your computer and get the word out to your local neighbors. Anyone within walking distance should know they can contact you for lawn care.

Did you get a myspace page up yet for your business? I bet you have a lot of friends in school who's parents would hire you.

And you can put ads on craigslist.com for free to promote your lawn care business.
I actually just ordered some business cards from vistaprint.com!

Yea I want to make some flyers, but I want them to look professional so I want to take the job to OfficeMax or Staples or something, and I dont think that costs too much.

I have a facebook page for it, but I'm going to probably setup a myspace because you can advertise for it a lot better than on facebook.

Thanks!

justin_time
03-20-2008, 10:43 AM
Quote[/b] (All Aspects Landscaping @ Mar. 20 2008,12:37)]justin had a misprint in his flyer...
Yes.. I am aware of the misprint. I fixed it.. I just didn't upload the new file to the forum that's all

All Aspects Landscaping
03-20-2008, 06:34 PM
glad you got that justin... small mistake could cost you alot in the long run... we've all done it

justin_time
03-20-2008, 07:03 PM
Quote[/b] (All Aspects Landscaping @ Mar. 20 2008,5:34)]glad you got that justin... small mistake could cost you alot in the long run... we've all done it
We all learn from our mistakes http://www.gophergraphics.com/forum/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/wink.gif

I hope you were talking about the error in Detaching right

All Aspects Landscaping
03-20-2008, 08:24 PM
no, not that mistake.... the other one.

JUST KIDDING http://www.gophergraphics.com/forum/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

Apple Lawns
03-20-2008, 09:03 PM
heheh http://www.gophergraphics.com/forum/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

ritchiem
03-20-2008, 09:07 PM
lol...funny man http://www.gophergraphics.com/forum/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

Apple Lawns if you are looking for a printer there is a member on the forums that can take good care of that. Jon at XcelPrinting.com.

Very professional and a heck of a lot cheaper then Staples. Staples wanted to charge me over $2000.00 to print off 5000 flyers...HA!

Shoot Jon a message and he can send you a quote.

justin_time
03-20-2008, 11:40 PM
Quote[/b] (All Aspects Landscaping @ Mar. 20 2008,7:24)]no, not that mistake.... the other one.

JUST KIDDING * *http://www.gophergraphics.com/forum/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif
haha.. you actually made me look... haha http://www.gophergraphics.com/forum/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

All Aspects Landscaping
03-21-2008, 06:57 PM
Im curious how manandamover is making out. Keep us posted!!

Apple Lawns
03-21-2008, 07:03 PM
actually our name is AppleLawns, i know my old name was manandamower, but I changed it.

Well, I just ordered some business cards, and am almost done with my website. Im currently working on some flyers and will hopefully have those printed and out to houses by the end of this week. And i just got my first customer yesterday. She was walking her dog and I told her what I was doing and she was more than happy to sign up! Ill keep you guys posted every time I get a customer!

Thanks again every one for all your help!

All Aspects Landscaping
03-21-2008, 07:23 PM
Did you get a chance to check out gotprint.com? Great prices and great products...

Im glad that we can all help... and If you ever move to Jersey, look me up, ill give a job in a minute.

Apple Lawns
03-21-2008, 10:22 PM
would you guys recommend just printing off flyers on my home computer just to get the name out there?

All Aspects Landscaping
03-21-2008, 11:16 PM
yeah... make a couple of buck then up your budget for marketing materials

Apple Lawns
03-21-2008, 11:50 PM
OK thanks.

hey guys, Ive been working on my website in addition to flyers and business cards. If you guys could take a look at it and let me know what you think I need to do differently or what ever , that would be a big help. Also please don't enter information into the forms for estimates or joining the mailing list or anything because I only have a certain amount of times people can use those before I have to pay more. Thanks

Apple Lawns
03-21-2008, 11:57 PM
the website it applelawns.com just incase you didn't know.

Steve
03-22-2008, 12:40 PM
Can we see the flyers you made too?

All Aspects Landscaping
03-22-2008, 02:24 PM
im having trouble finding you thru google...

Apple Lawns
03-22-2008, 02:38 PM
I havn't submitted the site to google because it wasnt finished yet

irvinjr
07-18-2010, 02:33 PM
Residential & Commercial at the top underneath that BASIC LAWN CARE :Edge,Mow,Trim, n Blow underneath that Your Lot Sq ft on one side n Per Cut on the other side "example" up to 8,000 $20 8,001 to 15,000 $25 15,001 to 25,000 $35 n so on then underneath that i have my business name n phone number then underneath that i have licensed on one side n insured on the other n underneath that i have 100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEED. By the way i'm knocking $5 off the first per cut then it's regular price after that. What u think ? Should i change anything or leave it as is ? I'm thinking about making 1000 copies on lime colored paper

Steve
07-19-2010, 03:30 AM
You never know the response you will get until you experiment with it. Try it out and then change 1 element of the flyer and then try it again. Keep doing this to see what elements bring you the best return.

Keep us posted on how all this turns out!

LawnMoore
07-23-2010, 11:28 PM
Should i change anything or leave it as is ? I'm thinking about making 1000 copies on lime colored paper

On your 5$ off on first cuts, you may want to specify that it wont cover overgrown/un-maintained yards, unless u want to hassle that as well, hoping for a contract attained. see below*

You may also want to make sure your beating the competition, and note that the *5$ off price is only applicable to a minimum # of cut contract, maybe 10 cuts @ weekly or 6 bi-weekly.

However many u feel is neccessary, but dont make the minimum amount of cut too great, let the customer decide if they want to make the contract for more cuts.

Thats my opinion, i hope it helps you sir.