PDA

View Full Version : new member

pbielby
01-26-2008, 07:04 PM
hello my name is Patrick and I am 31 years of age and trying to start a lawn care buisness I am a full time firefighter for the city of kinston North Carolina the name of my company is
Sur-Kuts Lawncare & Landscapes if anyone has any info to help me get started that would be great for me because I ask local lawncare people around home and most want help me.

jrwalker333
01-26-2008, 07:32 PM
Hi Patrick, I have a brother that lives in Matthews N.C. he has a small business there Walker Lawn Care you might get some local advise from him, if he is even close to you?? I am in the Ohio area and there are probably different laws etc; here compared to where you are. Usually you can get valuable resources through your state different associations for starting you will need to register your trade name usually with Secretary of State, obtain a vendors license, obtain state mandated workers compensation insurance (if you have employees) obtain a chemical pesticide license through the Department of Agriculture if you are going to do lawn treatments, also you should definately obtain a property damage insurance policy a (must have) get a federal tax id number (ein) alot of valuable resources ( do a search on google for starting a business in your state) alot of times there are even local city offices that will help you. Their is also the Small Business Administration and a group called S.C.O.R.E. (they are a group of retired business executives) that offer help for free. Planning etc, check your Chamber of Commerce also. etc

Rich
Dreamscapes Unlimited

Steve
01-26-2008, 09:56 PM
Hi Patrick,

Welcome to our forum!

Quote[/b] ]if anyone has any info to help me get started that would be great

What kinds of things are you getting stuck with?

I like your business name and I think the fact you are a fireman can help you in your marketing. Are you handing out business cards to everyone you know?

Not too long ago we had another fireman on here who included in his marketing material that he was a township fire fighter and he said it helped him reach out to people more. Have you ever considered something like that?

What are you doing to market your business?

pbielby
01-27-2008, 02:51 PM
Quote[/b] (Team Gopher @ Jan. 26 2008,9:56)]Hi Patrick,

Welcome to our forum!

Quote[/b] ]if anyone has any info to help me get started that would be great

What kinds of things are you getting stuck with?

I like your business name and I think the fact you are a fireman can help you in your marketing. Are you handing out business cards to everyone you know?

Not too long ago we had another fireman on here who included in his marketing material that he was a township fire fighter and he said it helped him reach out to people more. Have you ever considered something like that?

What are you doing to market your business?
I am handing out buisness cards and going by apartment complexs to get the word out I also introduce myself as a full time firefighter. I want to put some door hanger up and hand out some flyers

Steve
01-27-2008, 11:10 PM
That is good! How about this. Can you get one of your fire trucks pulled out onto the front of your building and then get you sitting on your mower maybe in bunker pants with the truck behind you?

Maybe try and keep the fire dept name out of the shot so it doesnt make it look like your department is endorsing you. Unless that is ok.

I bet such an image in a door hanger would really make your business stand out.

What's your take on something like this?

Also wouldn't it be cool if you could keep a fire fighter theme going on your equipment? Have the mowers red. Maybe have a blue light on them somewhere? That would really make them stand out!