All Aspects Landscaping
01-11-2008, 08:33 PM
Lock "scabs?"

EARLY BIRD MOWING/LANDSCAPING
01-11-2008, 11:17 PM
lock it!

Steve
01-11-2008, 11:39 PM
We can talk about practically anything on this forum, but to maintain a pleasant experience for all, we all need to maintain an acceptable level of decorum.

Let's keep the positive energy here going and going strong and let's allow ourselves and others to share different view points without losing site of the importance of decorum.

Nikon
01-12-2008, 02:03 PM
Not for nothing but most people that are trying to come into the business are in dire need of work and have children and mortgages and so forth bills. Its one thing for someone to wake up and have credit to be able to start and purchase everything they need to get a legit business it seems to me that almost 60% of the people here have families and are trying to get established to where they become a legitament company.

I am one of those people here today telling you that I established a company and I can assure you that I didn't try to take anyones business away a lot of the people that I have now as customers were friends from co workers or customers who asked me if I knew someone to mow their lawn, from the rental store.

I am now DBA and known as Artan Outdoor Maintenance. I opend a business checking account and now I am searching for insurance for the new season coming.

So like Steve said lets try to maintain a friendly envoriment because not everyone has 20K or 30K to buy into a company or let alone start one.

I am sure a lot of people started up the same way I did, a P/U truck 2000 S10 no trailer and threw everythign in the back of truck or a trunk of a car.

those are my thoughts. thanks

Tony Artan

B7 Enterprise
01-12-2008, 07:15 PM
A scab is NOT a person trying to start and run a lawn care business.

If your going to call someone a name, make sure you know what your talking about.

1: scabies of domestic animals
2: a crust of hardened blood and serum over a wound
3 a: a contemptible person b (1): a worker who refuses to join a labor union (2): a union member who refuses to strike or returns to work before a strike has ended (3): a worker who accepts employment or replaces a union worker during a strike (4): one who works for less than union wages or on nonunion terms
4: any of various bacterial or fungus diseases of plants characterized by crustaceous spots; also : one of the spots

The term "scab" is a highly derogatory and "fighting word" most frequently used to refer to people who continue to work when trade unionists go on strike action. This is also known as crossing the picket line and can result in their being shunned or assaulted.

Strike breakers, Chicago Tribune strike, 1986, Chicago, IllinoisPeople hired to replace striking workers are often derogatively termed scabs by those in favour of the strike. The terms strike-breaker, blackleg, and scab labour are also used. Trade unionists also use the epithet "scab" to refer to workers who are willing to accept terms that union workers have rejected and interfere with the strike action. Some say that the word comes from the idea that the "scabs" are covering a wound. However, "scab" was an old-fashioned English insult. "Blackleg" is an older word and is found in the old folk song, Blackleg Miner, which has been sung by many groups.

During "economic" strikes in the U.S., scabs may be hired as permanent replacements

pmblair
01-14-2008, 12:54 PM
Thank you for the proper definition of the term "scab"...

I think he was using the term scab to actually define "a person or persons who do business without having all legitimate certificates, licenses and markings to equipment where required by local, state and/or federal laws".... or someone who lacks business ethics.

Steve, I just wanted to say that if I was one who sounded like I was attacking someone, I sincerely apologize. It was not my intent to offend ANYONE with my comments, nor to attack anyone. I simply wanted to voice my opinion (and obviously, a few other people's too, judging from the number of PMs I got that was a "pat on the back") about the subject. =)

B7 Enterprise
01-14-2008, 05:06 PM
I know what he meant.

All Aspects Landscaping
01-14-2008, 06:18 PM
Thanks pat.... seem like someone has some common sense.... Im not attacking anyone though... you have it all wrong.... I think this industry is not monitored enough... I feel that in accordance with federal law, everyone in the industry should be paying income tax on the money they generate as a company... and I know the guy who is working out of his mothers 1977 Pinto is probably not.... and its not just the maintenance side... these guys out there calling themselves hardscapers are just as bad.... half of them are not icpi certified. Doing inferior jobs, putting a bad name out there for the qualified contractor...
It seems to me that the guys who are getting all worked up are the ones who are not working by the book. Sorry to ruffle some feather, but I think its a great topic for everyone to comment on.

Nikon
01-14-2008, 06:50 PM
the state of michigan doesn't require a license to mow lawns.

quickcleanlawn
01-17-2008, 05:51 PM
unlock it.
I think it was a pretty good topic.
as long as everyone agrees to the rules.

but then again everyone said there piece.