PDA

View Full Version : SCABS!!

All Aspects Landscaping
01-10-2008, 09:00 PM
Just wanted to put it out to all you new guys in the business - do yourself a favor, be legit!! Part of running a successful business means registering your vehicle as commercial, and also paying state sales tax. As most of you do, our community is overrun with scabs!! This year, we are taking a stand! Our trucks will all be outfitted with digital cameras, to photograph anyone without placards on the truck or commercial tags. Most of the time these guys are working for cash, not paying sales tax or insurance. Ever time I see an unlettered truck, I think about how they are taking money out of my kids college fund. I urge all the guys who haven't taken a paycheck in order to pay insurance, or commercial registration, or sales & use tax to make a stand. Turn these low lifes in. The only ones they are hurting is the legitimate guy!!! Im sure the good, no great guys at Gopher will be all so willing to lend a hand and put you guys in touch with the IRS website where you can turn these scumbags in. Good luck and hope you all have a great 2008 season. http://www.gophergraphics.com/forum/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/thankyou.gif

Steve
01-10-2008, 10:01 PM
Will you be able to show us some pictures you will be taking?

Also how will this work, are you going to pay your staff to take pics of such lcos? Will you be paying them some kind of bonus if they catch a good photo?

What kind of placards must you have in your area?

pmblair
01-10-2008, 10:46 PM
Great enthusiasm! *Unfortunately, it may be a bit misplaced.

In Georgia, we're not required to have any kind of placards on company owned vehicles. *In fact, you can have all necessary licensing, certifications and insurance to run a legitimate business and do it with a pair of scissors out of the back of a '73 Pinto if you want. *I agree that the people who AREN'T legit are on ly taking good money from us legit guys by lowballing, back dooring and generally just lying... but how can you always tell them from the legit guys who are just trying to save a buck by not having signage on their vehicles? *

One of my best friends is an LCO... legit from the ground up... does AWESOME work... and makes good money doing it... *He and I had a long talk about the lawn care industry just the other day... we were talking about this very thing... people who take their push mower around and lowball the actual LCOs... I said that something has to happen to help us guys out... he said, "You know, Patrick... just being a good, honest businessman... doing the very best job that you can... not over pricing... and providing all necessary documents when requested will make you 1000 times better than those guys... sure, they may take 10 lawns at $20 a pop, but do you REALLY want those jobs? *Do you really want to be hired by people who will ALWAYS try to get something for cheaper... or free? *...do you really want to be hired by people who will NEVER be satisfied, whether it be with your services, your prices or both?"

Just remember this.... in business, it's best to look out for your own rather than try to run down the back-door lowballers... it's just not worth the time.... as we all know.... *(say it with me...)

TIME

IS

MONEY

Steve
01-10-2008, 10:49 PM
Good points Patrick.

I was also wondering, but I am not sure, do some states allow you to register your vehicle as a commercial vehicle with regular license plates? I thought some do. So if that were the case, how would you tell if they truly were registered as commercial?

Maybe some communities require you to show a lawn care license number on your vehicle, but I don't think all communities have laws on this?

pmblair
01-10-2008, 10:52 PM
Like I said, Georgia requires no special markings to show that a vehicle is a company owned vehicle. You have regular tags... you don't have to have any special placards or anything.

I have never even heard of such a law in any state.... although, I've never worked in any other state (except when I was in the military).

onthegreen
01-11-2008, 12:46 AM
OK FIRST OFF I DONT CHARGE SALES TAX I PAY MY TAXES ON EVERY THING I BUY SO THE STATE GETS TAX FROM ME ANYWAY ...GAS WEEDEATER STRING. TRASH BAGS EVERY THING PLANTS MULCH SO ON .........AS FAR AS HAVING ALL THAT CRAP ON YOUR TRUCK. *I DONT HAVE ANY I DONT WANT PEOPLE TRYING TO PULL OUT INFRONT OF ME BECAUSE THEY THINK THERE GOING TO GET PAYED .......I STILL HAVE COMERCIAL INS. BECAUSE SOME OF THE COMPANYS I *WORK FOR MAKE ME ......AND NOT EVERYONE CAN JUST PUT DOWN $600 FOR COMERCIAL AUTO PLUSE $600 FOR 1,00000 GIN .........i GET PAYED CASH ALL THE TIME I'M NOT GOING TO GIVE IT TO THE IRS IF I DONT HAVE TO WHAT FOOL WOULD SCREW THEM MONEY SUCKERS. * I REPORT WHAT GOES INTO MY BANK. CREDIT CARDS AND CHECKS!!!!!!!!!!!!! #### IN NOT TELLING THEM ABOUT THE 60$ CASH I MADE OF SOME FAST TRIM JOB THAT STRIP BAR MONEY. *NOW THE GUYS OUT THERE THAT CAME HERE ILLEGALLY THATS WHO WE NEED TO STOP!!!!!!!!!!!!

EARLY BIRD MOWING/LANDSCAPING
01-11-2008, 02:09 AM
Quote[/b] (Team Gopher @ Jan. 10 2008,10:49)]Good points Patrick.

I was also wondering, but I am not sure, do some states allow you to register your vehicle as a commercial vehicle with regular license plates? I thought some do. So if that were the case, how would you tell if they truly were registered as commercial?

Maybe some communities require you to show a lawn care license number on your vehicle, but I don't think all communities have laws on this?
fyi , in ohio you must have commercial plates on your truck , don't go out of your way to look for guys like that let your local police find them , and they will i seen it happed last year to a guy mowing with out commercial tags or lic.... so be safe get them , and pay your taxes. http://www.gophergraphics.com/forum/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/cool.gif

pmblair
01-11-2008, 02:34 AM
Quote[/b] ]OK FIRST OFF I DONT CHARGE SALES TAX I PAY MY TAXES ON EVERY THING I BUY SO THE STATE GETS TAX FROM ME ANYWAY ...GAS WEEDEATER STRING. TRASH BAGS EVERY THING PLANTS MULCH SO ON .........

When you file your taxes at the end of the year, you still have to pay taxes... if you're not charging sales tax on your goods and materials, then you're losing more money than you think.

Quote[/b] ]AS FAR AS HAVING ALL THAT CRAP ON YOUR TRUCK. *I DONT HAVE ANY I DONT WANT PEOPLE TRYING TO PULL OUT INFRONT OF ME BECAUSE THEY THINK THERE GOING TO GET PAYED .......

I don't think this happens as much as you're thinking it does....

Quote[/b] ]I STILL HAVE COMERCIAL INS. BECAUSE SOME OF THE COMPANYS I *WORK FOR MAKE ME ......AND NOT EVERYONE CAN JUST PUT DOWN $600 FOR COMERCIAL AUTO PLUSE $600 FOR 1,00000 GIN .........

Depending on your local laws, you don't necessarily have to have commercial insurance on a vehicle that you use for work.... and by GIN, I assume you mean GLI (General Liability Insurance)... but let me tell you something important, too... if you DON'T have commercial auto insurance on your vehicle, then you may not be covered for everything... for example... if you're driving and get into an accident, you and your equipment are covered by your auto insurance... if you're working with your equipment, then you're covered by your GLI... BUT... if something happens while you're loading/unloading your equipment, you are NOT covered... check with your insurance provider.... they will most likely tell you the same thing...

Quote[/b] ]i GET PAYED CASH ALL THE TIME I'M NOT GOING TO GIVE IT TO THE IRS IF I DONT HAVE TO WHAT FOOL WOULD SCREW THEM MONEY SUCKERS. * I REPORT WHAT GOES INTO MY BANK. CREDIT CARDS AND CHECKS!!!!!!!!!!!!! #### IN NOT TELLING THEM ABOUT THE 60$ CASH I MADE OF SOME FAST TRIM JOB THAT STRIP BAR MONEY.

NOW you're just talking crazy... if you're not reporting ALL your earnings to the IRS, then you're doing business illegally... *I'll tell you right up front... that's WRONG and you WILL eventually be caught. *Do things right, my friend. *Report your earnings... ALL of them... then pay yourself and go to the strip bar all you want.

Quote[/b] ]NOW THE GUYS OUT THERE THAT CAME HERE ILLEGALLY THATS WHO WE NEED TO STOP!!!!!!!!!!!!

.....if you're not playing by all the rules... reporting all your earnings... paying all your taxes, then you may be just as bad as they are.

Harsh words, I know... but that's just the way I feel about it.

EARLY BIRD MOWING/LANDSCAPING
01-11-2008, 03:30 AM
Not harsh at all, it's just the truth! http://www.gophergraphics.com/forum/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/cool.gif

quickcleanlawn
01-11-2008, 11:40 AM
I operated for nearly a year without my license .and working on two years with out gli. by the end of the week i will be fully insured.
when i started i started full time and all of my revenue had to go towards my house hold needs.
just because you don't have lots of money to come out of the door with all your licenses and insurance doesn't necessarily make you a lowballer or a scab.
I work hard to grow my business and file all of my income at tax time accurately with no cheating.
Is Quick & Clean lawn care a low ball company?

pmblair
01-11-2008, 11:52 AM
Blaine-

I can't say that you are a lowball company....

Maybe it's just me, but I feel that it's important to have all licenses before operating as a business... I also feel that it's important to cover MY behind to have insurance... I mean, I look at it like this... Maybe the insurance is $500/year.... ok... so if I'm mowing 10 yards a week at $40 a yard, that's $400/week... $400/week X let's say 32 weeks... That's $12,800/year. True, not a lot of money, but if you break a customer's car window throwing a rock from under your mower... or run over a cable... or accidentally dent their car... or run through their garage door... I guarantee you that MOST of those repairs would be WELL MORE than $500 to repair... with your insurance, once your deductible is paid, the insurance pays the rest... without insurance, you're paying it out of pocket.

Maybe I came out of the gate the wrong way on this topic... I didn't mean to sound like I thought that all companies who aren't fully insured and licensed and certified were scabs and low ballers.... I just meant that a good, honest, legitimate business owner will do everything in his power to make sure they run their business completely legally.

Mr. "On The Green" is the one who needs to re-evaluate his business practices. I meant no offense to you personally, Blaine.... or any of you other LCOs out there who try to be a legitimate business and do everything through the proper legal channels. Insurance, while it may not be required, is DEFINATELY a good idea. I think that a lot of business owners think that it's more expensive than what it actually is. Folks, this is NOT at ALL like personal medical insurance that may cost you $5,000-$10,000 per year. It's relatively inexpensive... please get it... cover yourself... you can be as careful as you want, but you still may have that accident that causes you to go from making good money to selling everything to pay off a customer.

B7 Enterprise
01-11-2008, 12:24 PM
This is probably the one thing I hate about lawn care companies, Instead of doing there work with the jobs they get, they spend 90% of there time trying to find another LCO doing something wrong.

Alot of the time when a new company starts up, they don't have any money, they just want to have a business of there own.

If a company doesn't have everything thats makes them legit, maybe its because they don't have the money or the knowledge thats some of you guys think you do.

If your driving around taking pictures of others LCO then you really must not be doing your job, or you don't have any work because your works sucks or your to high.

or maybe you think you deserve every account in town. if they wanted your business then maybe they would have called you.

Leave the little guy alone and worry about your own lawns.

If he gets caught and get a fine then its his business not yours.

pmblair
01-11-2008, 03:44 PM
......and that's exactly what I'm saying... buy your own equipment, licensing and such and do YOUR work.

...as I said before...

Quote[/b] ]Just remember this.... in business, it's best to look out for your own rather than try to run down the back-door lowballers... it's just not worth the time....

All Aspects Landscaping
01-11-2008, 07:11 PM
Im really appalled that more guys arent on my side of the fence with this!! Were in NJ... It is required by law to have company truck commercially insured when owned by a company. Also as of last year you need a license to do business within the state....only for residental customers.. for proof of insurance... and yes, Im totally willing to give my guys a commission on a good photo!!! Its only gonna put money in my pocket... Im an owner that believes very much in performance bonuses... for example, we give 25.00 every two weeks to the employee who showed the most hustle and ambition in those two weeks... I find that weekly is too often and monthly is too long... so whats another bonus for a good pic?? We also pay bonus on anyone who brings the crew under man hours for the week.... back to the topic. Ive been in business for 11 years, and for the first three, I had to live on beans and white bread all winter, and most of the summer in order to be legit. Cheating is cheating... whether its to the irs about your income or not putting down a pre emergent before mulching when youre charging for it.... I think its an awsome subject here, highly debatable.... Also, running without placards or something identifying your company is just poor business practice... why are you afraid to put your name, phone, and website on your truck unless you have something to hide...

All Aspects Landscaping
01-11-2008, 07:15 PM
and patrick... youre right... id dont know all the laws of all the states.... but I can tell by youre response that you know what im talking about.... I do believe, no matter what, that if you dont letter your truck, then you have something to hide.... a major part of this forum is dedicated to advertising.... why not use youre trucks and trailers?? doesnt make sense to me....

All Aspects Landscaping
01-11-2008, 07:25 PM
ya know what... i paid my dues... worked 14 hour days...7 days a week.... who are you to tell me what to do with my time... maybe its greed... maybe youre a little jealous that the hard work I did 6 years ago paid off for me....but maybe its the fact that these ######## are taking money out of my mouth... and dont kid yourself... not all these scabs are lowballers.... they are getting the same prices as us legit guys. Somebody pulled the wool over your eyes pal...

Im really sorry that I have to justify myself to a few guys who are lawn cutters and not business men.... Sorry..

Steve
01-11-2008, 08:04 PM
I locked this post and I deleted some names out of the text.

We all have to keep in mind, this isn't a place we can personally attack each other.

If we disagree on a topic, that's ok we can disagree but when we get to the point of personally attacking each other and name calling. I have to lock the post.

I only locked it because I didn't want to delete the entire post. There was some good information in it and everyone spoke their peace and we can all reflect on it.