PDA

View Full Version : New to site

Andrew's Lawn Care
01-08-2008, 11:46 PM
Im new to this site, i post more about me and my stuff in the show off page. http://www.gophergraphics.com/forum/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/newbie.gif

Steve
01-09-2008, 12:02 AM
Hi Andrew,

Welcome to our forum!

Can you tell us a little about what got you to want to start your own business?

Andrew's Lawn Care
01-09-2008, 11:06 AM
Hi I am new to this site but I have been mowing going on 4yrs by myself (started at 16 now 20) but just thought I would let you know that I started out using my parents trailer 5x10 tilt tractor mower. But after two years of that I split a zero turn (48' scag) with my parents and then purchased my own 5x10 in '05. And now this year this is what I have grown to...I now have the same 48' 2 shindiawa trimmers 1old and the other bought in '07, a 22' push mower lawnboy, and bought just recently a 61' scag zero turn. All sitting on a 6.5ft x 16ft trailer, that I am pulling with my 2000 s-10 reg. cab 2x4. The bigger truck should now be coming in the next few months.
I got started with mowing lawns by a guy my mom knew, I worked with him for a year then quit and went more on my own. But since then I have gone back and worked with him in strictly landscaping and mowing for my self. I quit the landscaping again just because I could go and make more money if I went out and picked up a few more yards for the amount of time I worked with him in a day. Thats how I got started and what im doing now.

Steve
01-09-2008, 12:02 PM
Hi Andrew,

That is fantastic! What big plans do you have for this year? What type of marketing ideas are you looking to implement this year as well?

Andrew's Lawn Care
01-09-2008, 12:22 PM
I don't really know that much yet but im trying to increase this to about 30 yards from 20. I was thinking a lot about putting out yard signs or flyers. I don't really know that much about how to get new customers but i know that this is the time to start.

Steve
01-09-2008, 01:25 PM
Well, if you have more time on your hands than money you can go out and hand out door hangers.

If you have money you can spend, have you considered getting a mailing list and sending out postcards?

What's your view on any of that?

Andrew's Lawn Care
01-09-2008, 02:28 PM
I honestly don't know all that much about handing out flyers and door hangers especially. All i do know is that you don't touch the mail box, for illegal purpuses. Also anything that I do would probably be made on my computer since i don't know where to go or even what to put on something.

Steve
01-09-2008, 02:48 PM
Andrew,

Have you joined any community organizations? Those are great ways to network in your area as well.

Andrew's Lawn Care
01-09-2008, 04:50 PM
I don't know what community organizations you are talking about could you help me to figure that out?

Steve
01-09-2008, 04:52 PM
Well anything that allows you to interact with people from your community. What about the chamber of commerce, rotary, volunteer organization, etc?

Andrew's Lawn Care
01-09-2008, 11:12 PM
I'm thinking about going into one specific neighborhood near me and trying to get a contract type of thing going for the whole neighborhood. I just have to figure out how im going to get that started.

Steve
01-10-2008, 05:49 PM
Hi Andrew,

Download any of the free flyer or door hanger templates we have on the forum and go out and do this one at a time. Win them over http://www.gophergraphics.com/forum/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif You can do it.