Johnb
01-07-2008, 05:21 PM
Hi, I'm new here. Username JohnB
I've been in business for 24 years. Located in RI
Barrow Landscaping B->

realhuntin
01-07-2008, 05:29 PM
Hi John Welcome to the forum.

So you been in business 20+ years? Well I hope we get to pick your brain a little for tips and trick of the trade.

What is your primary customer? Commercial or Resi.

Johnb
01-07-2008, 05:38 PM
Good to meet you.
Primary customer is resi. couple of commercial (school)...

Steve
01-07-2008, 05:54 PM
Hi John,

Welcome to our forum!

24 years! Great job!

What got you started in lawn care? Did you run any other businesses before or since?

FourSeasons
01-07-2008, 06:01 PM
Welcome to the Forum!
24 years; I bet you have run into lots of ups and downs in this business.

Johnb
01-07-2008, 06:26 PM
Thanks,
First started to make some extra money, so my wife could stay home with kids. Worked delivering propane then other jobs fulltime for 18 yrs while mowing. I've had mostly ups, not too many downs, worst being missing kids growing up. Bad knees and shoulders, but that might be my age.
John
B-> Landscaping

Steve
01-07-2008, 07:23 PM
What advice do you have for a new business owner who wants to get into lawn care?

Also what advice do you have about making the jump from doing it part time while having a full time job, to going full time lawn care?

Johnb
01-07-2008, 08:13 PM
I would say that it is your business don't sell yourself or your business short. Provide good value, I'm not saying undercut prices, I'm saying give the client good value. Make yourself an asset to them, be friendly take some time to talk. They will be happy to pay more for the value you provide.

Going fulltime, mostly same as above, don't loose control of your growth! Remember, if you have a family, they need you too!

John

FourSeasons
01-07-2008, 11:29 PM
Quote[/b] ]Going fulltime, mostly same as above, don't loose control of your growth! Remember, if you have a family, they need you too!

good point. during last season I was working from early til late 6 days a week. and then when I got home I was tired and just wanted to sleep. I had to take days off to see the kids.