PDA

View Full Version : Starting a new Lawn Care Business in Durant OK.

weber126
10-21-2007, 04:19 PM
Hi, My name is Paul I had a small lawn care business in Texas that I ran on the weekends. I had a full time job, working as a scaffold builder, and I was also a Vol. Firefighter. A Fall from a roof three years ago changed all that. I have not worked full time since the day of the fall. I decided to move to Durant Ok two years, after Hurricanes Katrina and Rita. I have decided to open my lawn care business here in Durant, since m,ost people probably will not hire me with my injury.

Steve
10-21-2007, 04:46 PM
Hi Paul!

Welcome to our forum!

Ouch! I am sorry about you falling off that roof! How is that injury effecting you today?

Can you tell us a little about what you have been doing to market your business so far? What ideas have you been thinking about to stand out from competitors?

weber126
10-21-2007, 05:45 PM
Quote[/b] (Team Gopher @ Oct. 21 2007,5:46)]Hi Paul!

Welcome to our forum!

Ouch! I am sorry about you falling off that roof! How is that injury effecting you today?

Can you tell us a little about what you have been doing to market your business so far? What ideas have you been thinking about to stand out from competitors?
Well I am doing ok, the doctors tell me that my back is as good as it will get. I have applyed for disably but it will be some time before I know if I will get it. I got a Insurance Settlement from the fire dept and went out and got a 2007 zero-turn mower, trailer , weedeater,Leaf blower, to go along with a push mower, Hedge trimmer, chainsaws, and other hand tools. I have been working on a new website (www.w-n-w-lawnservice.com (http://www.w-n-w-lawnservice.com) ) , I hope to have it up and running before long. I have a DBA and Insurance. I have two contracts as of now and I just started out three weeks ago. I hope to pick up more work soon. I really need some help, in what to do to pick up more work fast. I am open for any help. http://www.gophergraphics.com/forum/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/thankyou.gif http://www.gophergraphics.com/forum/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/newbie.gif

Steve
10-21-2007, 06:10 PM
Quote[/b] ]I really need some help, in what to do to pick up more work fast. I am open for any help.

Were you injured on duty with the fire department?

That could make for a great article! Do you have a picture of you in your fire department gear?

What we could do is, take all that information and put together a press release to the local paper. "Injured Fire Fighter getting back on his feet."

As you read through the forum, we love to look for something that makes your story unique, that will make you stand out and this is a great story to get started with. I would even put this up on your website. In fact I would even put this in your marketing material!

Who wouldn't want to hire a volunteer fire fighter that was injured and fell off a roof ! I mean everyone would feel for you in this situation and would want you to service their lawn!

This is a situation you can take that was a negative and spin it and make it work for you!

What's your view on this?

weber126
10-23-2007, 05:29 PM
Quote[/b] (Team Gopher @ Oct. 21 2007,7:10)]Quote[/b] ]I really need some help, in what to do to pick up more work fast. I am open for any help.

Were you injured on duty with the fire department?

That could make for a great article! Do you have a picture of you in your fire department gear?

What we could do is, take all that information and put together a press release to the local paper. "Injured Fire Fighter getting back on his feet."

As you read through the forum, we love to look for something that makes your story unique, that will make you stand out and this is a great story to get started with. I would even put this up on your website. In fact I would even put this in your marketing material!

Who wouldn't want to hire a volunteer fire fighter that was injured and fell off a roof ! I mean everyone would feel for you in this situation and would want you to service their lawn!

This is a situation you can take that was a negative and spin it and make it work for you!

What's your view on this?
That may work. I just dont want people to think Im playing on there feelings. I am also open for some suggestions for my web site. I have all these though untill I go to work on it.

Thank
Paul

Steve
10-23-2007, 07:34 PM
Paul,

I like your website layout. I wasn't able to see anything in the center of it though. Is that just my end or was there no text put in there yet?

Quote[/b] ]
That may work. I just dont want people to think Im playing on there feelings.

Well ultimately if taking your own personal story and benefiting from it helps you, I say go for it.

I think it is something that can be difficult to do when you first consider it, but if it brings success then it would reaffirm that it is a positive path to travel.

pmblair
10-23-2007, 10:53 PM
Quote[/b] (weber126 @ Oct. 23 2007,1:29)]I am also open for some suggestions for my web site.
I can help you out with your website, Paul. Please contact me at pmblair@blairprod.com.

Thanks!

SerranoLandscaping
10-24-2007, 01:11 PM
hey try craigslist.com post your service on there. Is free

LOUROCK
10-25-2007, 08:15 PM
Hey, I would place an add on your local news paper and definately door hangers, and flyers. Eventualy good work will lead to referals as well! GOOD LUCK!! http://www.gophergraphics.com/forum/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/wink.gif

weber126
11-01-2007, 10:00 AM
Thanks for every ones help. I will give them a try. http://www.gophergraphics.com/forum/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/yourock.gif

Steve
11-01-2007, 10:04 AM
Paul,

Use all the experiences you can, all that makes you unique to stand out from others. Ultimately, if one tiny thing gives you a even slight advantage over your competitor, it will be worth it.

Keep us posted on what goes on! I know you can do it http://www.gophergraphics.com/forum/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif